Are these Shiba Inu traits?

Holly

Bounce and- Pounce-Holly- girl

Barked: Fri Mar 6, '09 12:38am PST 
I am wondering if Holly's unease with strangers is partially her breed. She is a bit slow to warm up, and sometimes barks and growls. She's not aggressive at all, but does become fearful in new situations.

Holly also is fearful of walking too far from our house--she is very slowly expanding her range of where she will go, but when she can't see the house or the end of the street, she refuses to budge and wants to go back.

One other curious thing, our first dog was a ball-chaser and retriever, but Holly has little interest in balls and seems to lose track of them unless they are moving. When you toss a ball at her, she traps it between her front legs like a goalie. She likes to tug on things, but is so gentle with her mouth that she doesn't really get a good grip. I imagine this is a characteristic of a breed that hunts small game and needs to have the 'soft mouth' to avoid damaging the prey when they bring it in.

Any thoughts? Do you see similar characteristics in your Shiba mixes?snoopy
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 9:25am PST 
Hi, my Molly is similar to Holly in some ways. When we first got her she had a problem with new people but, she's slowly getting over it. I think Shibas are very territorial by nature. Now she takes our lead when it comes to responding to strangers. If we like them, she at least tolerates them.
As to the ball "issue", Molly will catch and play ball inside but, outside she completely ignores them. Maybe too many other distractions. She doesn't like to play tug either. I guess that might be typical of the breed. I thought it was just her. thinking
Kira

I follow my- nose!

Barked: Wed Nov 18, '09 12:29pm PST 
Yes I certainly do! The only difference is that I have taught kira to play fetch by using 2 toys because she doesn't like giving up the one she's got unless she thinks mine is better!snoopy

Miss Ruby

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 12:05pm PST 
Miss Ruby also herds, runs around in circles until we are in a small group. she loves to play fetch with any kind of ball, also love to play goalie but the socker balls dont last.