Close X

The Reading Room

(Page 159 of 159: Viewing entries 1581 to 1588)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  150  151  152  153  154  155  156  157  158  159  
BOBBY

BIBBITY BOBBITY- BOO

Barked: Wed Apr 20, '16 2:58pm PST 
When Chadwick had his bookstore over on Cobblestone Square, we had a book club and we got together and discussed books we read together. We also read books to the kittens - Chadwick loved reading to the little kittens.
Speedy

Faster than a- speeding bullet!

Barked: Wed Apr 20, '16 9:29pm PST 
You know, our mommy's could have a book discussion, too! Mine doesn't have enough time to read a book EVERY month, but maybe we could do one quarterly or something! All our mommies could take turns picking the book!! And whoever picks the book could kind of lead the discussion!
BEATRICE

Beatrice is home- to stay

Barked: Wed May 11, '16 11:36am PST 
That sounds like fun. We would have to space it out so everyone had time to read the chosen book.

Do any of your moms go on "tangents" with an author? My mom gets compulsive about reading every book someone wrote one right after the other. She is pursuing Patrick Taylor right now. Not very deep, but she enjoys spending her time in Ireland.

(Hey Speedy, I've been missing you while we couldnt get in to Catster. I hope we can keep on getting in now, but who knows. Anyway I was thinking of you.)

Speedy

Barked: Wed May 11, '16 9:17pm PST 
I've missed you too, Beatrice! My mommy is kind of the opposite! Usually, she doesn't read the same author twice in a row. If she really likes them, though, she does eventually read most of their books. She really only reads the ones that appeal to her, though! For example, the loved Jane Smiley's 1000 Acres, but is not interested in reading Moo!

Yes, let's see if any of the other mommy's are interested. I think it could be fun to have our own book discussions!
BEATRICE

Barked: Fri May 13, '16 3:58pm PST 
Mom felt the same about the Smiley books. Just read that one. Same with Joyce Carol Oates, she liked We Were The Mulvaneys, but never read more.
I think it is when she really feels drawn to a certain style of writing or the characters, something like that draws her in and ...voila! addiction. she wont read anythng else until she has read all they wrote.

This started in her 20s when she gobbled up all the Steinbeck novels, and then all the Thomas Wolfes. She is a serial book gobbler.happy dance
Speedy

Barked: Fri May 13, '16 9:55pm PST 
Beatrice, we know your mommy likes Murakami. Has she read Wild Sheep Chase? Mommy TRIED and just couldn't get into it!!!

The authors she loves and reads almost everything are Spencer Quinn, Margaret Atwood, Joshlynn Jackson and Tanith Lee. She used to read everything Stephen King wrote and John Grisham. There are some authors she LOVES and would like to get to all their books, but hasn't yet, like Jojo Moyes and Barbara O'Neal.
BEATRICE

Barked: Thu May 26, '16 3:44pm PST 
Yes she read that last one, but didnt like it as much as the others. She usually has to read him twice to get the full impact. MOL

Mom hasnt read any of those authors except King, but she stopped reading him awhile back. So many books await!!
Speedy

Barked: Thu May 26, '16 10:54pm PST 
Maybe we can all pick a book, and then we will pick a month to discuss it and whoever picked it can be in charge. Like Beatrice's mommy can pick one for July, Ebby's mommy can pick one for September, and mommy can pick one for November. Then if anyone else in the group wants to join in, we can do more!

We won't have to all e here at the same time, we will just ask qustions and get answers for each book!
  (Page 159 of 159: Viewing entries 1581 to 1588)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  150  151  152  153  154  155  156  157  158  159