GO!

Female Dog Menstruation

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bo

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 2:23pm PST 
Ive never had a female dog and do not know what to do when Lucy reaches her menstrual cycles...should i leave her outside to bleed or what? are there maxi pads for dogs? i am very confused..
[notify]
Poquito- ♥

Die- Cancer,- Die!

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 2:31pm PST 
silenced Have your dog spayed and eliminate the need for this information. Seriously, it's called a heat cycle, and the only purpose it serves is for reputable, knowledgeable breeders to breed desirable physical traits and healthy blood lines of purebred dogs. Otherwise, PLEASE don't allow your dog to reproduce.
[notify]
♦Peyton Jo♦

I can do no- wrong!

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 2:44pm PST 
I think the poster was just trying to ask an important question. She didn't need to be lectured.
Here are a few sites I found that I hope help you out!

http://www.petsinpastel.com/petarticles/dogsinheat.htm
ht tp://www.ehow.com/how_2317383_deal-dogs-menstruation.html?ref=fuel&u tm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art
[notify]

Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 2:48pm PST 
The messiness of a heat cycle can be solved by spaying your girl before she comes into heat.

If you do not spay, there are doggie diapers you can buy that can protect your carpet, furniture, etc. She may have to be in them for most of her heat - and she may not like them and try and get them off of her.

But, I would recommend spaying to avoid that mess.

And, I have to mention your dog's collar - a large chain with a padlock is not an appropriate item to use instead of a collar. A chain could cause serious damage to your dog should they get caught on something, or get a tooth hooked in the collar, etc. It is not supposed to be used in that manner and is not going to be comfortable for your dog.

There are plenty of collars that have the "macho" look you are going for that are designed with a dog's comfort and safety in mind.
Duke CGC

Gigantorsaurs- the lover of- all!

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 3:01pm PST 
I haven`t had a famale that`s not spayed either. There s low-cost spay and nuter programs, if that`s your reason not to.

Oh, and about the chain, that`s very unsafe. I`m not trying to start anything, but you really need to get that off him.
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 3:06pm PST 
i was at home depot and a young couple were buying 1/2 inch chain to make just such a collar. i could not help but overhear them discussing it and objected to their plan saying it was terribly heavy and would hurt the dog's neck.
they said that the weight was the whole point of it; it would 'build' the dog's shoulder and neck muscles. cry shock
[notify]
Duke CGC

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 3:07pm PST 
NINA shock shock shock shock
[notify]
Duke CGC

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 3:10pm PST 
I meant eekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeekeek
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 3:14pm PST 
leaveing the poor girl chained outside while in heat would not be a good idea!!!
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 3:25pm PST 
Leaving her outside would just make all the unaltered boys come around.

If you can't handle a few splots of blood around the house, how do you suppose you'd handle 8 or so pups crawling around the house??

I've had unaltered females. I'm not gonna lecture you about that; it's a choice that should be yours. But, you have to do it responsibly. And, leaving her outside won't be responsible. wink

There are other options. There are birth control methods. There are diapers. And, of course, there's spaying.

Ask your vet about the options and find out which one would work best in your situation.

EDIT: I'm guessing you just got her? SHe's a very pretty girl.

Though, I have to agree with the other posters. That collar looks very heavy.

Edited by author Tue Nov 18, '08 3:27pm PST

[notify]
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4