Mom IS neurotic but THIS is important!

Other posts by this user

Barked: Mon Nov 17, '08 11:08am PST 
Mom is very sad. I never met Odi but he was a wonderful Rottweiller who lived with his mom Carolyn and his Rottie littermate Max. Odi had had some health problems recently and had to have his spleen removed. Then, around 3 weeks ago, he got a whole bunch of vaccines all at once at his vets. His mom had actually voiced her concern to the vet ("should he get all these vaccines at once since he has no spleen?") but the vet said it would be fine. He got very sick a few days later and needed several blood transfusions. On Friday, his mom made the very hard decision to put him down.

My mom just found out about all of this on Friday! Her friend said "the vaccines affected his immune system" but mom is pretty sure that means IMHA. Mom says there are so many lessons to be learned here...

~Trust your gut. If you don't feel comfortable with something, speak up and refuse to give in.
~Vaccines really should be given one at a time. This goes for children too. The risks are much greater if multiple vaccines are given at once.
~We need to continue to fight IMHA. If you want to help, visit angel MICA's page.
~HUG and kiss your doggies every day! Their lives are so fragile and we have to cherish them every day we can.

Love,
Sunny
Petunia- Grace

Got treats?

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 2:54pm PST 
Thanks for woofing this. I have IMHA, and Mama's trusted gut saved me. My red blood cell count fell to half of what it should have been, but the vet caught it in time. I didn't have to have a blood transfusion or have my spleen removed. I've been on prednisone for over a year now, and haven't been able to regain my girlish pre-pred figure, but my levels continue to be normal and I'm feeling pretty good.way to goway to goway to goway to goway to go

Edited by author Tue Nov 18, '08 2:55pm PST

Other posts by this user

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 12:33pm PST 
I am so happy for you Petunia! It's not often that a dog survives IMHA. YOU ROCK!!!!!!! cheer blue dog cheer

Izzy

Catch me if you- can!

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 7:28pm PST 
Ohhh!!! Rock on Petunia!!! snoopy