House & Pet Sitter Available, For People In Portland! Dogs, Cats, Kangaroos ;) -- Portland and area

Pugly

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 5:37pm PST 
I was supposed to house-sit for the month of November in S.E Portland, but the young couple just canceled on me today. In fact, I've noticed that it's a big difference between now and the months of August and September in which people were contacting me practically every week about house-sitting for them. :p I'm sure that it has something to do with the economy, as well. Right now I'm house-sitting for a couple in N.E Portland until October 30th. After that I don't have anything lined up now for a place to live or house-sit (due to the people canceling).
So here goes nothing...

Thinking of leaving your pets at the kennel? Although Portland has several fine kennels and pet-housing businesses, why not instead have a semi-professional, responsible, and friendly house-sitter come to stay at your home while you're away? This will not only provide your pet(s) with someone around 24/7, but also let them feel loved, get fed on time, and remain in their usual environment.

This is my way of making a living in Portland, but it not only provides a modest living, but also provides for my living arrangements. So I'm always respectful to the people who hire me and also grateful for the house-sitting assignments that I've done. I always try to be respectful and treat the house and pets as though they were my own. There have been a lot of kind people who I've met through being their house-sitter! I think it's a valuable and rewarding service.

There are several valid reasons why getting a house-sitter (such as me laugh out loud makes a whole lot of sense. First of all, if you're planning a vacation, going overseas, or just doing a business trip, ideally you need someone to give love and care to your pets while away. Another second good reason would simply be to have someone trustworthy around to keep a watchful eye (or two =)) on your house and any possessions. Plus, I also do any of the following: Collecting the mail, receiving packages, watering plants, dog walking, cat grooming, etc. Anything that you need done while you're always. Although, most people just need someone to watch their pets.

Yes, I have references. Since I came back from overseas in July I have house-sat at seven different houses ranging from Vancouver, Gresham, N.E Portland, and S.E Portland. I'm open to house-sitting any where in the Portland area. I'm available for both short and long-term (depending on availability -- please e-mail or call to inquire). I'm happy to provide you with a copy of my Oregon driver's license. I'm very upfront about things. I like to make sure we have things together before you leave on your trip with all the important information written down. I do not have a car. Therefore, I usually depend on rides, Tri-Met, or a few times people have left a vehicle for me to use while they are away.

In this economy, I realize that it can be hard to figure out whether or not you can afford a house-sitter. I'm planning on doing this through the autumn and winter seasons, so just think of it as being something that will be mutually beneficial. It provides you and your pets with safety and peace of mind, while it provides me with shelter from the cold, and enough money for food (plus, a little extra) and some time to work on my next book.

So you probably want to know more about me. That's fine by me. My life is practically an open book anyways. There's endless of stories and photos that I have to share. I sincerely enjoy meeting some of the people that I have through Couch Surfing 99% of the time. smile Usually I can talk forever on topics like travel, politics, and so forth if there's time. I get along with practically anyone. I'm a strong Barack Obama supporter. Although, I would have preferred to have seen Dennis Kucinich in there. For other reasons it would have been nice to have Ron Paul too.

I'm an American who grew up in Florida. I'm easy-going, open-minded (you have to be with my kind of life style), and very clean. I grew up in foster care after surviving an abusive childhood. Since then I have grown leaps and bounds by my own merits. I moved to California in 2000 when I was 19 years old where I worked in the I.T business in L.A. In 2001, I went overseas to Australia on a four month work visa. In addition, I ended up spending a total of six months in the Fiji Islands traveling and volunteering. In 2003, I came back to North America and lived in British Columbia, Canada for six months. Afterward I worked as a trek guide out of Santa Rosa, California for the summer. Then I moved up to San Francisco.

It was actually in San Francisco in 2003 where I first got the idea of house-sitting. I had just posted on Craigslist about offering "house management" and organizing help around the house when people started offering me to house-sit. Hence, a new service was born. After saving my money I ended up going to south-east Asia at the end of 2003. What was supposed to be a few months of back-packing ended up becoming more than two years in Thailand, Laos, and Malaysia.

In October, 2005 I came back to the U.S. I was so relieved to be back. Before I even came back I knew already that I wished to only live in Portland, Oregon. Based on my experiences when I visited for the first time in 2003 where I realized the friendliness and down-to-Earth people, good environment, MAX, and other things that makes Portland -- Portland.

I'm also a writer. I've formally published four poetry books with my non-profit publishing company (links to books along with my resume are available on my web site listed at the bottom of this post). In my spare time, I also enjoy reading, photography, music, and web development. Sometimes (rarely) I also have work doing web sites for people. I have my own notebook computer and even a wireless router (if you don't already have WiFi).

In 2005 - 2006, I house-sat for numerous people in the Portland area. My first house-sitting gig was near Mt. Tabor. After that I was in the Pearl in N.W. Then I was in the S.E off of Hawthorne. Then finally out to Beaverton. There was also a short house-sitting assignment near Pittock Mansion. In my relatively short-time in Portland, I've really been all over. It's good. I really enjoy doing it. I would say it's fairly easy work. I love animals. I'm a natural with dogs and cats and perhaps kangaroos too. wink On side note is that when I was a kid I always thought I would grow up to be a veterinarian. I actually studied Social Sciences instead, but animals (especially dogs) are very close to my heart.

I went overseas again in March, 2006. During my time overseas from then through July, 2008, I was working in China, volunteering in Indonesia, visiting Taiwan and Mongolia, and traveling all over New Zealand (also on a work visa) for 3.5 months. This was before taking a freighter ship back from New Zealand to Mexico (this was one of my most exciting adventures). Up through Texas and finally back "home" to Portland. I love Oregon!

Also, because a lot of the people I end up house-sitting for are going traveling themselves, sometimes I end being the de facto advice giver with sharing travel advice before a big trip. It's just one of those things that I think I'm very knowledge about through life experiences.

Moving around is not always easy, of course. Sometimes I enjoy it when someone contacts me about house-sitting or staying with them for a few weeks or months to help out with small things around the house. I wouldn't mind going back to Asia in the future to either work or volunteer. I just need to save my money in order to make it happen. This is my own American dream.

I'm more than happy to house-sit for you. Just please get in touch so we can discuss about your needs.

Cheers!,

Shaun puppy

http://shaun.loveacrossborders.com/

AIM: applesbliss
YIM: iamempathy

Voicemail: (775) 593-0776

P.S: I look forward to hopefully meeting you and your doggies, kitties, fish, kangaroos, etc!
Snort

Wet Noses- Organic Dog- Treats Taster

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '09 1:53pm PST 
Interested in doing it in seattle? You can post your info here, on our facebook page- we are a family dog treat business and have a close relationship with our cleints:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wet-Noses-Organic-Dog-Treats/1184885 68688?ref=ts