Healthy Soul Food

(Page 52 of 52: Viewing entries 511 to 519)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  
♥- Dayzee- ♥

I got THE- power!! Jesus.

Barked: Mon Nov 8, '10 10:52am PST 
Wasting Energy
===============

It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly,
just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go.
~Bertrand Russell~
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Tue Nov 9, '10 6:34am PST 
It's Time to Do Something!

Mary Southerland

Today's Truth

1 John 4:11 "Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."

Friend to Friend
I could not tear my eyes away from the television screen as the 33 miners began to emerge from the depths of what could have been their mass grave. The men had been trapped for more than two months in the collapsed Chilean copper mines nearly half a mile underground. Everything I have read or heard about the tragedy is extraordinary.

The miners survived the early days by rationing food and working together as a team. Each man was assigned a job, one of which was to maintain peace and harmony until they were rescued. The selfless mining supervisor who insisted on being the last to leave his underground prison showed the world what it really means to put others first. I was amazed at the selflessness of the rescue worker who became the initial guinea pig for the rescue capsule and then chose to stay behind - alone - while the world celebrated above.

I wonder how long it will take us to forget. How long will we remember that the world came together to save a group of strangers? Will the powerful lessons of their rescue make any difference in the way we treat each other?

We all know what it is like to be trapped in a pit of some kind. It is probably not a collapsed mine, but pits are all basically the same.

Our world has collapsed under the weight of fear and pain.

No one seems to care. In fact, a lot of people have written us off as a lost cause.

People are too busy to recognize or understand our hopelessness.

Darkness prevails and rescue seems impossible.

We are wounded, sick and tired.

Civil war rages in our soul as we struggle to obey God instead of giving in to sin.

I truly believe that every day is filled with divine appointments - opportunities to rescue people who are trapped in some kind of pit. We miss the emptiness reflected in the eyes of the sales clerk or simply choose to ignore the homeless man begging for money so that he can buy food. After all, we are in a hurry and have more important things to do. The sales clerk would probably be embarrassed if I said anything and that homeless man would probably just use the money I give him for drugs or alcohol.

The ringing phone is someone in need but we don't care enough to answer. Our neighbor does not know God but her life is a mess and we really don't want to get involved. Instead of taking action and doing what we know God wants us to do, we decide that it is enough to pray for that neighbor and leave the messy part of God's work to someone else.

I am so guilty of walking away from someone in need instead of running to their rescue. I am in pain, too, and my pain is more important than theirs. I may not actually say those words but I don't have to. My actions are blatant illustrations of my own egotism and self-absorption.

I do not want to be like the priest who nonchalantly strolled by the wounded and bleeding man lying on the road. I want to be like the Good Samaritan who stopped and saved the wounded man's life. I want to be "God with skin on."

One day, just as rescue workers descended into that Chilean mine, Jesus Christ will descend into this broken world and rescue us from the pit of human frailty. Until then, let's be His hands and feet. Let's love Him so much that we just have to do something about it.

Let's Pray
Father, I come to You today with a heart of praise for the way You meet every need in my life and how You constantly rescue me from the darkness. I want Your heart, Lord. I want to be Your hands and feet to the people You place in my path. Give me eyes to see their need and the courage to do something about it. Please guard my heart against pride and selfishness. I want to please and honor You alone.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Now It's Your Turn
It is sometimes hard to love someone in need, but God calls us to look beyond their rough exterior and see the pain hidden there.

Read Ephesians 4:2. "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Notice the action words. What would your daily life look like if you took action and lived out this verse?

Is there someone in your life who is hurting? How can you ease their pain?

Is there someone in your life who is wounded? How can you help them heal?

Is there someone in your life who has fallen into some kind of pit? How can you help rescue them?

Make a specific plan to meet a specific need in someone's life today. Then do something about it!
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 8:29am PST 
Stand Up Straight, Girlfriend!

Sharon Jaynes

Today's Truth
"Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God" (Luke 13:13 NIV).

Friend to Friend
When my brother was a teenager, my mother used to threaten him when he hunched over at the dinner table. "If you don't sit up," she'd say, "I'm going to buy you a back brace from Sears." Now I don't even know if Sears made back braces back then, but it sounded like a pretty good threat to me.

Then I had a son who grew to six feet seemingly overnight. He didn't know what to do with all that height, so he slumped. I tried my best not to say, "If you don't sit up, I'm going to buy you a back brace from Sears."

Then one night, my father-in-law took care of it for me. We were measuring and marking various family members' height on the dining room doorframe. (Yes, you read that correctly-the dining room. Some battles are just not worth fighting). My seventy-seven-year-old father-in-law, who stood at about 5'10", stood with the back of his head against the doorframe. Then he took a deep breath and extended his curved back to its fullest upright position. We marked him at 6'3".

I watched Steven's eyes grow wider as Papa grew taller. He saw firsthand the difference it made to stand up straight. Papa was huge, but his bent over frame hid his once strong healthy stature. Steven caught a glimpse of the strappingly strong frame that we once knew. From that day on, Steve stood straight and tall. Never once have I seen him slump since.

That's what I'm hoping for you. That's why I write devotions and books like I'm Not Good Enough...and Other Lies Women Tell Themselves and What God Really Thinks about a Women. My hope is that you will see women who have stood to their full stature and want to do the same. No more slumping in self-doubt or hunching in half-hearted conviction, but rather standing up to the full stature of a confident woman who knows that she is equipped by God, empowered by the Holy Spirit, and enveloped in Jesus Christ.

There are many emotions that cause us to slump spiritually and become crippled emotionally. Worry wears us down. Regret ruins our confidence. Hatred hardens our hearts. Unforgiveness uglies our souls. Bitterness binds our hearts. Insecurity incapacitates our capabilities.

I was crippled for many years. Words from my past told me I was "ugly," "not good enough," and "worthless." Inferiority, insecurity, and inadequacy were my three closes companions. I didn't like these three lurking shadows, but they followed me everywhere I went. Stalkers, that's what they were. They stalked me, yelling taunts and accusations that no one heard but me.

The more I listened to them, the more emotionally crippled I became. Then one day, Jesus called me up front. I didn't want to go, mind you. I had grown comfortable hiding in the back where I felt I belonged. I could hear just fine from my seat along the wall. The lighting wasn't as good, but it was enough to get by.

But then Jesus saw me and called me forward. It wasn't that He hadn't seen me all along. After all, He is El Roi, the God who sees. There was never a day when I had not been in His sight. But now the time had come for Him to set me straight in every way. So He called me up front where others could see what He was about to do. Jesus placed his nail-scared hand under my chin and lifted my eyes to meet his. "Sharon, you are free from your infirmity of self-doubt."

It wasn't long after that, words began to flow. From pen to paper, God filled me with words that overflowed to encourage and equip other sisters who needed to experience the same liberating freedom in Christ.

You know what? I'm sure some on-lookers gasped at my courage and glared at my audacity as I stepped out of the shadows onto center stage. "Who does she think she is?" they might have thought.

And I can answer that question. I am a crippled woman who Jesus set free. He calls me a child of God, light of the world, salt of the earth, bride of Christ, redeemed, holy, chosen, ambassador, saint, bride...and that's just for starters. And friend, if you know Jesus Christ as Savior, then that's exactly what He calls you too!

So here I am today and you are reading one of my devotions. A previously emotional cripple set straight and shored up by God.

Is there something in your life that is crippling your spirit? Unforgiveness? Bitterness? Guilt? Resentment? Sorrow? Worry? Regret? Comparison? If so, cut it loose, cast it off, and throw it away. God calls us sheep; and sheep are not pack animals. We are not meant to carry such burdens with these scrawny legs of ours. If we try, we will only bend under the pressure we were never meant to bear.

Oh friend, He is calling you right now. Whatever has been holding you back from being all God has called you to be and do all God has fashioned you to do...Jesus has come to set you free! Stand up straight! Do you feel the press of His hand on the crook of your back? Do you feel his index finger under the point of your chin?

There's no doubt in my mind that you are reading this devotion because Jesus is calling you from the shadows to join him center stage. He sees you, and now is the time. You've been sitting in the back, in your crippled state far too long. It is time. "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity."

Set me free from my prison that I might praise your name. Psalm 142:7

♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 6:45am PST 
“I will bless the Lord at all times. His praise shall continually be in my mouth”
(Psalm 34:1)

TODAY’S WORD
It’s easy to get focused on what’s wrong in life, what we don’t have, and how big our obstacles are. If we’re not careful, we’ll lose sight of all the good things God has done... and is doing. We’ll take for granted our family, friends, health and the opportunities God has blessed us with. We’ll get so busy and stressed out focusing on the negatives that we won’t appreciate all the good that is in today. What’s happened? Our perspective has gotten off.
Perspective is all about how we see a situation. There’s power in your perspective because you will draw into your life what you constantly meditate on. Are you a perfectionist? Maybe you don't even realize it, yet you struggle to feel good about your life because it's not 'perfect'. The wrong perspective is, “Life is not good if everything is not perfect.” The right perspective is, “God has blessed me beyond measure. There will always be things that could be better, but compared to most of the world, my life is awesome.”
Today, I encourage you to evaluate your perspective. Choose to trust your loving Heavenly Father no matter what is happening in your circumstances. Remember, as you set your perspective in the right direction, your life will follow. When you keep an attitude of praise, faith and gratefulness, you open the door for a life of joy and peace!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY
Heavenly Father, I choose to trust you with every area of my life. I declare that You are faithful, even when I can't see it with my earthly eyes. Help me to recognize when I'm slipping into negativism, which can become an ungodly habit. Thank You for loving me enough to remind me of the truths that restore my joy. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sat Nov 13, '10 6:51am PST 
The Right Words
================

Lord, give me the right words to say
To broken hearts that come my way
To those who have been hurt before
That, I not hurt them any more

To those whose hearts have hardened up
To those who won't hold out their cup
That, Lord, You long to overflow
With love and mercy. Lord, let me know

That I might have the words to say
That I might plant a seed today
That glory would be given to You
Through all I say and all I do

Lord, give me the right words to say
More hearts are breaking every day
They're out there crying in the night
I long to help them see the light

But, fragile are those souls and weak
So this is why Your words I seek
And pray Thee give me words to say
That I, not one soul, turn away.

~by Susan Tier~
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sun Nov 14, '10 10:59am PST 
Anyway
=======

People are often unreasonable,
Illogical and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
People may accuse
You of selfish motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
You will win some false friends
And some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
People may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,
Someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
They may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
People will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
And it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you have anyway.

You see, in the final analysis,
It is between you and God;

It never was between you and them anyway.

~Keith M. Kent~
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Tue Nov 16, '10 9:57pm PST 
Remodeling 101

Mary Southerland

Today's Truth
Colossians 3:13 "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

Friend to Friend
I promised myself that I would never buy a house that could be described as a "fixer-upper." I don't like fixing things. I want everything to be fixed before I move in. But there I was, buying a town house that needed so much work even the realtor couldn't believe my husband and I wanted to buy it. Why didn't someone stop me? No one did, so the sale was made and we went to work. Actually, my son and husband went to work while I went crazy.

I had no idea how horrible the process of remodeling could be. Layer after layer of dirt, grime, stains and ugliness was stripped away. Rotten kitchen cabinets were torn from the walls and rusty appliances were replaced. We basically gutted the whole place and rebuilt it - while living in it. I was not happy!

I will never forget the day I woke up to see a toilet sitting at the foot of our bed. It was at that moment I resolved to never set foot in another house that required so much work. I am so thankful God does not feel that way about me.

Honestly, I used to wonder why God didn't just demolish the old me and build a new one. Then He did just that - through a two-year battle with clinical depression. While sitting at the bottom of that deep, dark and slimy pit, the Father lovingly stripped away old fears and insecurities. From the walls of my heart, He tore the rotten attitudes, undisciplined thoughts and unholy desires that had walked me to the edge of my pit; then pushed me in. He replaced rusty old dreams with new ones and basically, gutted my life to build a new one, a better one, and a stronger one. Part of that new life was forgiveness. God taught me how to forgive myself so I could then forgive others.

Because forgiveness is so important, it only stands to reason that there are roadblocks that can hinder our willingness to forgive. We must make the commitment to identify and remove each one.

Selfishness
Selfishness shouts, "I have been hurt! It is so unfair. I have rights!" What I am really saying is that how I feel about the hurt is more important than forgiving the hurt.

Pride
Pride cries, "Look at what they have done to me. Don't they realize who I am?" To receive or give forgiveness requires humility.

Low self-esteem
Some of us have built an entire identity around a hurt. The attention we gain from the wrong we have suffered defines who we are. It is something we cherish and refuse to relinquish for the sake of forgiveness.

Blindness
We may be blind to the fact that we have not forgiven a hurt. We have convinced ourselves that we really have forgiven the one who hurt us by going through the motions and saying the right words without really dealing with the pain. In reality, all we have done is dig a hole and bury the pain. As long as hurt is buried alive, it will keep resurrecting itself in our life, but when the hurt is dealt with and forgiveness is given, the pain is buried dead - and it stays dead.

Pain
Forgiveness is spiritual surgery. It exposes old hurts that have never completely healed. We can move, change jobs, change churches, change friends or even change families, but until we yank up the root of bitterness and cover it with forgiveness, we will live with unresolved pain.

Ignorance
Maybe we don't know how to forgive someone because are under the impression that forgiveness is an emotion or feeling. True forgiveness is a choice - a deliberate choice to release the person who has hurt us from the pain they have caused. We can stop forgiving others when God stops forgiving us.

We need to identify and eliminate the roadblocks to forgiveness so God can set us free, heal our pain and make us more like Him. Now that is a remodeling job I would welcome.

Let's Pray
Father, I praise You for the changes You have made in my life through the power of Your forgiveness. Please help me forgive the people who have hurt me just as You have forgiven me.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

Now it's Your Turn
The holiday season seems to highlight certain emotions - one of which is emotional pain. A family member has wounded you and shows no sign of remorse. Maybe a friend has betrayed you and refuses to apologize. Or you may be struggling to forgive yourself because you don't think you deserve to be forgiven. None of us deserves forgiveness. Forgiveness is a gift from God. Today is the day to make the choice to forgive. Beside each statement below, write the name of someone in your life who needs your forgiveness.

Forgiveness is not limited to those who deserve it. ______________________________

Forgiveness is not limited to those who apologize. ______________________________

Forgiveness is not limited to those who change. ________________________________

Read and memorize 1 John 1:9: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

More from the Girlfriends
God is the One who heals. Forgiveness puts us in the correct posture for Him to do so. Don't wait another minute to deal with the issue of forgiveness in your life. Know that we are praying for you and standing with you as you choose forgiveness.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 11:36am PST 
The Recipe for Peace

How God can provide calm when busyness and stress threaten to take over.

My husband and I had just returned home from a hectic shopping trip. As Erik pulled into the driveway, switching off the engine, we were suddenly surrounded by the silence of the night. We sat in the darkness, reluctant to give up the first quiet moment we'd experienced that entire day. I sighed, tired from the day's activities and the thoughts of the responsibilities tomorrow already held.
A question formed on my lips, but I hesitated to speak it aloud. It was a question that had been increasingly occupying my mind, but it didn't seem like one a "good" Christian should ask.
"Where's the peace?" I finally whispered. Erik glanced quizzically in my direction. "I mean, is this all there is to the Christian life?" I continued. "Doesn't the Bible promise something about 'peace that transcends all understanding?'" Erik didn't reply.
This question continued to haunt me long after that evening. Worn down by each day's responsibilities and worries, I longed to be enveloped in the "peace of God"—that deep serenity of soul where calm and joy grow. But I had to admit, in the many years I'd been a Christian, I couldn't say that peace had characterized my life. Was this "peace" the Bible spoke of just some cold, distant theological doctrine, or something I could actually experience now?
Several days later, I read Philippians 4:4-7. I was surprised to notice for the first time that this passage that speaks of the "peace of God" also states clearly how to obtain it: "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. … Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (italics added).
While I was familiar with these concepts, I had to be honest—I wasn't actually practicing them. Did I really rejoice in the Lord always? Was my life characterized by gentleness? What about being anxious? Wasn't I the one who lay awake at night worrying about how I was going to get everything done the next day? Was it really possible for a person to live as the Scripture described? Since my heart longed for peace, I decided to test this "recipe" to see what would happen.
During the next few weeks, I was amazed at the impact those verses had on my life. As I tried to obey the commands of Philippians 4, I experienced a calm that transformed my perspective and gave me new vitality. To help remember these steps to peace, I created the acronym TLC.
T—Thank God in everything.
"Rejoicing always" means being grateful to God—no matter what. We must choose to believe God's good, and choose to rejoice in that goodness.
When I began attempting this, the best I could muster was remembering to at least be thankful for the "good" things. I started building a habit of saying two-second "thanks prayers" throughout the day. "Thanks for the cool breeze." "Thanks for that encouraging call from a friend." As I practiced this, I began to see more for which to be thankful.
This finally led to my being able to give thanks for those difficult things in my life—something I hadn't been able to do before. That forced me to acknowledge that no matter how bad things look, God would work all things together for good just as he promises (Romans 8:28).
I remember one night in particular, when God gave me an opportunity to test thanking him in all things. I was facing an impossible work deadline, and home responsibilities kept piling up. Every night I crawled into bed exhausted, trying to figure out how to squeeze just a little more into each day.
At 2 a.m., I heard my 10-month-old son's cry. When Zephan awoke in the night, it always meant the same thing—another ear infection. "No!" I protested. "This can't happen—not now."
I felt guilty for selfishly thinking of how this inconvenienced me, when I should have been thinking of my son. But that didn't change the facts: Zephan wouldn't be able to go to the babysitter's for the rest of the week. I might as well kiss good-bye the thought of sleeping for the next several nights. I had no idea how I'd get my project done.
Rocking Zephan in his room, I felt my emotions rage. How could this happen? Didn't God realize this was the absolute worst time? Then I remembered the thanksgiving command. It took me some time to find the words, but as I stroked Zephan's feverish face and consciously decided to be thankful for being able to care for him, the room around me eventually seemed to become a sanctuary. I felt the comforting presence of God's peace allowing me to actually savor this moment. It also gave me time to put extra prayer on the challenges that I knew would be part of the next few days. And true to God’s Word, he carried me through all of it with victory.
L—Love those around you.
The second command in Philippians 4 is to "let your gentleness be evident to all." When I first read this, I wondered, What does this have to do with personal peace? But when I attempted this step, I was surprised by its power.
Concentrating on showing gentleness to those with whom I came into contact cast my life in a new light. It took my focus from myself and put it on others. And it kept me relying on God, because loving responses invariably didn't come naturally—especially when I was running late with a hungry one year old who was trying to eat through the yo-gurt containers in my shopping cart, while the slowest clerk in history made mistake after mistake in ringing up the groceries. Let your gentleness be evident to all. … Let your gentleness be evident …
One day my brother and I had an argument, and I felt certain I was right. However, even as I silently rehearsed a sharp rebuttal, God reminded me of this principle. How can I show gentleness in this situation? I wondered. The answer to this question totally changed my response to him and brought an inner peace that was now becoming more familiar to me.
Allowing God's love to flow through us gives us joy and purpose despite our circumstances. And these first two steps work together. When we get the first step down—having an attitude of thankfulness—it's much easier for us to react to others in love.
C—Commit worries to God.
We've all heard we shouldn't worry. Often my silent response to this concept is something similar to a teenager's remark, Yeah, right! Worrying seems to come as naturally to the human race as getting the hiccups—and about as difficult to cure.
But, fortunately, God's Word doesn't just tell us not to worry. It gives us practical instruction on how not to worry. "Do not be anxious about anything," it says, "but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
I found I struggled with just deciding not to worry. But at least I could decide to pray—especially when this verse tells me exactly how—with thanksgiving.
When I was pregnant with Zephan, my physician told us our baby might have a mentally debilitating disease. Although he assured us this was just a possibility, I was heartsick. All my dreams for my child's future seemed to hang in jeopardy, and I had trouble concentrating on anything else. But I needed to commit this worry to God.
Doing that, I found, was a process, not a quick fix. But as I progressed in the process, true to God's Word, I felt an un-explainable peace. I wasn't sure God would spare our baby, but I became increasingly convinced that even if he didn't, he'd use the circumstance for good. A few months later, Zephan was born without any health problems - but I know I would have been fine if he hadn’t. “… A peace that transcends all understanding…” including mine!
Of course, the only thing that makes all these steps possible is being convinced of our heavenly Father's tender loving care. We can only be thankful in everything because we know he loves us. We can only truly love because he's shown us his unconditional love. And we can only commit our cares to him because we trust that he is tenderly caring for us in every detail of our lives.
Some time after taking on the challenge of Philippians 4, I was traveling to help someone move when it suddenly struck me what a difference this Scripture passage had made in my life. I was still busy. I still had family, work, and church responsibilities. But somehow life was different—I was different. While it's happened subtly (and I’m still learning), I know now how it feels to be enveloped in God's peace—which gives me one more thing to thank him for.
♥- Dayzee- ♥

Barked: Sun Nov 21, '10 6:07am PST 
Only A Man...
==============

At first glance she looked like any other old woman. Plodding
along in the snow, alone, neglected, head bowed. People passing
on the busy city sidewalk averted their eyes, lest she remind
them that pain and suffering did not stop to celebrate
Christmas.

A young couple, smiling, talking, laughing, arms loaded with
Christmas presents, took no notice of the old woman.

A mother with two small children hurried by, on their way to
grandmother's house. They took no notice.

A minister walked by proudly carrying his Bible in his right
hand, like a well armed Christian soldier. But his mind was
stayed on heavenly things, and he took no notice.

If these people had noticed, they would have seen that the old
woman wore no shoes. She walked barefoot in the ice and snow.

With both hands the old woman gathered her worn button-less
overcoat at the collar to keep out the wind. She stopped and
stood bent and bowed at the bus stop. A red and blue scarf
covering her head, she waited for the downtown bus.

A gentleman carrying an important looking briefcase waited near
her, not too closely. After all, she could have something
contagious.

A teen-age girl also waited for the bus. She glanced repeatedly
at the old woman's feet, but said nothing.

The bus arrived and the old woman slowly, painfully boarded.
She sat on the side-ways seat just behind the driver.
The gentleman and the teen-age girl hurried to the rear.
The man sharing the seat with the old woman shuffled uneasily
and twirled his thumbs. "Senile," he thought.

The bus driver saw her bare feet and thought; "This neighborhood
is sinking deeper and deeper into poverty, I hate to see it,
I'll be glad when they put me on the College Park route."

A little boy pointed at the old woman.

"Look, Mother, that old lady is barefoot."

The embarrassed mother slapped his hand down. "Don't point at
people, Andrew. It's not polite to point."
She looked out the window.

"She must have grown children," a lady in a fur coat suggested.
"Her children should be ashamed of themselves." She felt morally
superior, because she took good care of her mother.

A teacher seated near the middle of the bus steadied the bag of
gifts on her lap.

"Don't we pay enough taxes to handle situations like this?" she
said to a friend seated beside her. "It's this tax-cut crazy
Republican administration, her friend replied. "They rob the
poor and give to the rich." "No, its the Democrats," a gray-
haired man behind them interjected. "These Democrat welfare
programs just make people lazy and keep them in poverty."

"People have to learn to save their money," a well-dressed young
college man added. "If that old woman had saved when she was
young, she wouldn't be suffering now. It's her own fault."

And all these people beamed with satisfaction that their acumen
had delivered such trenchant analysis.

But, a kind businessman felt offended by this murmuring
detachment of his fellow citizens. He reached into his wallet
and took out a crisp twenty-dollar bill.
He strode proudly down the isle and pressed the bill into the
old woman's unsteady, wrinkled hand.
"Here, Madam, get yourself some shoes."

The old woman nodded her head in thanks. The businessman strode
back to his seat, feeling pleased with himself, that he was a
man of action.

A well-dressed Christian lady had noticed all of this.
She began to pray silently.
"Lord, I don't have money. There is no way I can help.
But Lord, I can turn to you in every need. Lord, I know that
you are a loving God. You make a way out of no way. Now Lord,
let your blessing shine on this old woman. Let shoes fall like
manna from heaven, so that this old woman can have shoes for
Christmas."
And the Christian lady felt supremely spiritual.

At the next stop, a young man boarded the bus. He wore a heavy
blue jacket, a maroon scarf around his neck, and a gray woolen
cap pulled down over is ears.
A wire running under the cap and into his ear was connected to a
portable music player
The young man jiggled his body in time to music only he heard.
He paid his fare and plopped down on the sideways seat directly
across from the old woman.

As the young man's glance caught the old woman's bare feet,

His jiggling stopped. He froze.

His eyes went from her feet to his. He wore his expensive, new,
brand name sneakers. For months he had saved from his minimum
wage pay to buy these sneakers. Everybody in the gang would
think he was "so cool."

The young man bent down and began to untie his sneakers.
He removed his impressive new sneakers. He removed his socks.
He knelt down before the old woman.

"Mother," he said, "I see you have no shoes.
Well, I have shoes."

Carefully, gently, he lifted the old woman's crusty feet in his
hands.
He placed his socks and his fine sneakers on the old woman's
feet.
The old woman nodded in thanks.

Just then the bus arrived at the nest stop.
The young man left the bus and walked away, barefoot in the
snow.

The passengers crowded at the windows to watch him as he plodded
barefoot through the snow.

"Who is he?" one asked.

"He must be a prophet," said another.

"He must be a saint," someone suggested.

"He must be an angel," said yet another.

"Look! There's a halo around his head," somebody shouted.

"He must be the Son of God," said the Christian lady.

But the little boy who had pointed, said, "No Mother, I saw him
clearly,

He was only a man."

I talked with the writer of this story.
He's a physicist. We were in the same university class.
This class: http://www.mountainwings.com/past/1120.htm
The class felt his story was a MountainWings Moment.

I agreed.

The funny thing is, and the thing that surprised me,
he said the story was true, he witnessed it.
He embellished the writing but the essence of the story is true.
It stayed with him for years until The MountainWings Moment.

The writer: Earnest Thompson

Thank you Earnest

~A MountainWings Original~
  (Page 52 of 52: Viewing entries 511 to 519)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52