Bad Doggie Behavior

Butterscotch

Barked: Mon Sep 15, '08 5:33pm PST 
HELP; My Butterscotch, JRT is destroying my house while I'm at work. I can't find a gate high enough that she can't jump over the second I put it up. She has chewed the cushions on my couch and the mattress on my bed. I love her dearly but can't afford to replace furniture. Any suggestions? I feel terrible putting her in a crate all day and am afraid she will bark and/or cry and disturb the neighbors.

frown
LUKE

Wheres- my- frisbee!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 5:07am PST 
Hi,
My Jackabee did the same thing to my house when he was small. I did crate him for his own safety. I would come home and he had all my cushions tore up all over the house, even the floor by the door was chewed up and sometimes he would open my bedroom door and go in there and then couldn't get himself out and tore up the entire carpet to the subfloor under it. First of all how old is butterscotch? I finally had my husband make a wooden pickett gate for my kitchen and I put all his favorite chews, bed, toys, ect. and locked the gate he finally came out of it but it takes time and patience to get past it. Now Luke has run of the house although he still goes into the bedroom and lays on my bed. I guess to be close to me. He does suffer from seperation aniexty still, and will tear up something but he outgrew the destruction. I also had friends and family come by every once n awhile to check up on him when I had to be gone all day. Hang in there hopefully he will outgrow it.
Butterscotch

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 8:02pm PST 
Thanks for your input and encouragement. Butterscotch is nine months old now.

OLIVER

I call him "The- Cyclone"

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 7:58am PST 
My Jack is 7 months and I have been going through the same thing since the day I got him (he was 3 mos when I got him). I finally went to a professional and like the other posting crate training has helped tremendously! He feels safe there now and will often lay in there even when I am home. The chewing is the separation anxiety. Start with 10 minutes and work your way up. Confine him and walk out of the room or outside the front door. Come back in after 10 min and they will start to associate the fact that you WILL come back. Safe things to chew help too. I get my little guy natural edible chewies. Hope this helps. will keep you posted with the little things I learn in class. We just started and will be going through November. snoopy