Helpful Hints --Health, Behavior, etc.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tyson

I found my- voice! And it's- fun to talk!!

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 12:08pm PST 
10 Most Common Dog Conditions

Have you ever wondered what are the top reasons for dogs to be sick? Here is a list of the 10 Most Common Dog Conditions.

The list comes from, Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), the nation's oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance. They recently analyzed the medical claims they received in 2007 to determine the top 10 most commonly claimed conditions for cats. In fact, they found that the top 10 conditions accounted for about 25 percent of all medical claims received last year.

Here are the 10 Most Common Dog Claims:

1. Ear Infections
2. Skin Allergies
3. Pyoderma/ Hot Spots
4. Gastritis/Vomiting
5. Enteritis/Diarrhea
6. Urinary Tract Infections
7. Benign Skin Tumors
8. Eye Inflammation
9. Osteoarthritis
10. Hypothyroidism
Tyson

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 8:23am PST 
Why Do Dogs Love To Chew??

Ever wonder why dogs chew on things? Even better, why do they chew on expensive things (like the $10,000 cherry wood dining set or the $150 pair of dress shoes or $250 purse)? Well...there are several reasons for dogs chewing on things.

1. Puppies and juvenile dogs learn about their environment by mouthing and gnawing on objects. Typically the targets are random, and may include shoes, books or bedposts. Investigational or "play-related" destructiveness of this kind is a normal behavior for a growing dog.

2. Some adult dogs chew out of boredom or because they are upset when "abandoned" by their owners each morning. In frenzied efforts to escape the house or find her owner, a dog of this persuasion will dig and chew at doorways, windowsills and curtains. She may also search for shoes, pillows, purses and other personal items to chew on.

3. Other dogs may chew because they have a nervous personality or they have some phobia. If your dog suffers from thunder phobia, she can cause dramatic damage to your house on stormy days. In addition to thunder, your dog may develop fears of fireworks, wind, and a variety of other noises.

4. Finally, dogs chew because it is "FUN".

The solutions to stop chewing will vary based on the dog and the reason for the chewing. But one simple time tested solution is to give them something to chew on. There are a number of excellent "chew toys" in the market. I like the Kong® brand toys, that are durable and strong. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes (you can even hide treats in many KONG toys).
Tyson

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:47am PST 
What to do if your dog is bleeding--Be Prepared.

Last week, I stopped by the local emergency clinic and a gentleman and his wife brought in their dog that was "bleeding". They didn't know what had happened but there was blood everywhere. Literally, they were arguing about something and it was hard to get a good history about the dog.

We initially thought he had been hit by a car. The dog had blood on his head, in his ears, in his mouth, his fur was covered. His vital signs were stable so we proceeded to try to wipe him down to find the source of blood. Believe it or not - it was from a cut on his foot.

The dog had cut a big arterial blood vessel and proceeded to bleed for 3 hours before coming to the emergency clinic. The owners were hysterical.

To make a long story short - the dog had lost a lot of blood. Many times when a dog is bleeding - it LOOKS like a lot of blood but it really isn't. In this case - it really was.

We sedated the dog and sutured the wound. After surgery, we monitored his blood counts and they dropped so low - that he required a blood transfusion.

We spoke with the owner more and they said the dog was in the yard and they noticed the foot bleeding but thought it would stop (3 hours prior) but it kept bleeding.

The key lesson? As responsible pet owners we must know what to do if our dog is bleeding. It doesn't have to be fancy but effective. Keep your dog calm. When you see where the blood is coming from - get a clean cloth or towel and apply gently pressure on the wound. Don't use a tourniquet. Just gentle pressure and go see your veterinarian.

I also strongly recommend that you keep a first aid kit for your dog handy. This weekend - take a minute and consider what should be in your dog's home to help him in the case of an emergency. Look at the list of what should be in a dog first aid kit and put it on your list the next time you are at the store.

Keep your dog safe. If you don't know what to do - keep the number to your vet or local ER handy so they can help guide you until you can get to the clinic.

Until next time,

Dr. Jon

Tyson

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 8:48am PST 
What to include in a dog First Aid kit:

Dog owners can treat minor injuries for their pets if they have the appropriate remedies, tools, and equipment available. The following items were included in a first aid kit that the Cincinnati Veterinary Medical Association gave to police dog handlers at a recent workshop. A home first aid kit needs many of the same items.

Gauze sponges -- 50 four-by-four inch sponges, two per envelope
Triple antibiotic ointment
Rubbing alcohol
Ear syringe -- two ounce capacity
Ace self-adhering athletic bandage -- three-inch width
White petroleum jelly (Vaseline or similar)
Eye wash
Sterile, non-adherent pads
Pepto Bismol tablets
Generic Benadryl capsules -- 25mg, for allergies
Hydrocortisone acetate -- one percent cream
Sterile stretch gauze bandage -- three inches by four yards
Buffered aspirin
Dermicil hypoallergenic cloth tape one inch by 10 yards
Hydrogen peroxide
Kaopectate tablets maximum strength
Bandage scissors
Custom splints
Vet Rap bandage
Tyson

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 11:32am PST 
How does your Pooch sweat?
by: PetPlace Veterinarians

The day is hot and sultry, the kind of day when you work up a sweat by just breathing. A few minutes of vigorous activity, and you're swimming within your own shirt. But your dog only pants, with his tongue hanging out by at least a mile, to show he's hot also.

So whose body is better at keeping cool? The answer is, yours. It may be uncomfortable for you to sweat profusely, but it's an efficient method to regulate temperature. When it comes to keeping cool, we have it made in the shade compared to our dogs.

In people, sweat glands help regulate temperature by bringing warm moisture to the surface of the skin, which causes cooling as the water evaporates. Because sweat glands are located all over the human body, cooling takes place over a greater surface area of the skin than it does in dogs.

Dogs don't have the luxury of overall cooling because their bodies have very few sweat glands, and most of those are in the footpads.

Dogs cool themselves primarily by the process of panting and breathing, with the moist lining of their lungs serving as the evaporative surface.

Most people believe that the dog's tongue contains sweat glands, but this is not true. The dog's tongue and mouth are associated with many salivary glands that produce different forms of saliva. Some cooling takes place as the panting dog moves air across saliva-moistened surfaces of the mouth cavity.

Dogs also dissipate heat by dilating (expanding) blood vessels in the face and ears. Dilating blood vessels helps cool the dogs blood by causing it to flow closer to the surface of the skin.

Excessive play on a hot day can lead to overheating (hyperthermia) and eventually to heat stroke. A dog's normal body temperature is within the range of 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. If his temperature rises to 105 or 106 degrees, he may suffer heat exhaustion. At 107 degrees, heat stroke can occur, with potentially catastrophic consequences. Heat stroke can cause brain damage and even death.

A dog that is overheated will act sluggishly, or perhaps confused. His gums and tongue may appear bright red, and he will be panting hard. The dog may vomit, collapse, have a seizure, and may go into a coma.

An overheated dog is a real emergency situation. Get him to a veterinarian immediately. If possible pour water from the garden hose on him to begin the cooling process. On the way to the veterinary clinic, cover him with cool wet towels or spritz him with cool water. Don't use ice-cold water. For more information on what to do in case of overheating, see the article Be a Cool Owner: Don't Let Your Dog Overheat.

Edited by author Thu Aug 14, '08 11:34am PST

Tyson

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 11:33am PST 
Be a Cool Owner: Don't Let Your Dog Overheat!!
by PetPlace Veterinarians

Working up a good sweat in the hot summer months may be good for you, but it can lead to heat stroke in your dog and kill him in a matter of minutes. Heat stroke is a dangerous condition that takes the lives of many animals every year. Your dog's normal body temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. If it rises to 105 or 106 degrees, the dog is at risk for developing heat exhaustion. If the body temperature rises to 107 degrees, your dog has entered the dangerous zone of heat stroke. With heat stroke, irreversible damage and death can occur.

Here are some cold summer facts: The temperature in a parked car can reach 160 degrees in a matter of minutes, even with partially opened windows. And any dog exercising on a hot, humid day, even with plenty of water, can become overheated. Overheating often leads to heat stroke. As a pet owner, you should know the dangers of overheating and what to do to prevent it.

You should also know the signs of heat stroke and what to do if your dog exhibits those signs.

When humans overheat we are able to sweat in order to cool down. However, your dog cannot sweat as easily; he must rely on panting to cool down. Dogs breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, directing the air over the mucous membranes of the tongue, throat and trachea to facilitate cooling by evaporation of fluid. Your dog also dissipates heat by dilation of the blood vessels in the surface of the skin in the face, ears and feet. When these mechanisms are overwhelmed, hyperthermia and heat stroke usually develop.

Dogs who have a thick coat, heart and lung problems or a short muzzle are at greater risk for heat stroke. Others at risk include

Puppies up to 6 months of age

Large dogs over 7 years of age and small dogs over 14 years

Overweight dogs

Dogs who are overexerted

Ill dogs or those on medication

Brachycephalic dogs (short, wide heads) like pugs, English bulldogs and Boston terriers

Dogs with cardiovascular disease and/or poor circulation

What To Watch For

If your dog is overheating, he will appear sluggish and unresponsive. He may appear disorientated. The gums, tongue and conjunctiva of the eyes may be bright red and he will probably be panting hard. He may even start vomiting. Eventually he will collapse, seizure and may go into a coma.

If your dog exhibits any of these signs, treat it as an emergency and call your veterinarian immediately. On the way to your veterinary hospital, you can cool your pet with wet towels, spray with cool water from a hose or by providing ice chips for your dog to chew (providing he is conscious).

Veterinary Care

Heat related illness is typically diagnosed based on physical exam findings and a recent history that could result in overheating. Your veterinarian may perform various blood tests to assess the extent of vital organ dysfunction caused by overheating.

Intensity of treatment depends upon the cause and severity of the heat illness.

Mildly increased temperature (less than 105°F) may only require rest, a fan to increase air circulation, fresh water to drink and careful observation.

Markedly increased temperature (greater than 106°F) must be treated more aggressively. Cooling can be promoted externally by immersion in cool water or internally by administering a cool water enema.

Underlying aggravating conditions, such as upper airway obstructive diseases, heart disease, lung disease and dehydration may be treated with appropriate medications, supplemental oxygen or fluid therapy.

Home Care

Heat stroke is a life-threatening emergency. Check your dog's temperature rectally if you suspect heat stroke. If it is over 105 degrees F, remove your dog from the heat source immediately and call your veterinarian.

Meanwhile, place a cool, wet towel over your dog or place him in a cool bath. Do not use ice because it may cause skin injury. Spraying with water from a garden hose also works well.
Tyson

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '08 4:34pm PST 
Top 10 Pet Peeves Dogs Have with Humans --Fun...
By Dr. Jon from PetPlace

Top 10 Peeves Dogs Have With Humans

1. Blaming your farts on me..... not funny... not funny at all!

2. Yelling at me for barking. I'M A FRIGGIN' DOG

3. Taking me for a walk, then not letting me check stuff out. Exactly whose walk is this anyway?

4. Any trick that involves balancing food on my nose. Stop it!

5. Any haircut that involves bows or ribbons. Now you know why we chew your stuff up when you're not home.

6. The sleight of hand, fake fetch throw. You fooled a dog! Whoooo oooooooo what a proud moment for the top of the food chain.

7. Taking me to the vet for "the big snip", then acting surprised when I freak out every time we go back!

8. Getting upset when I sniff the crotches of your guests. Sorry, but I haven't quite mastered that handshake thing yet.

9. Dog sweaters. Hello ??? Haven't you noticed the fur?

10. How you act disgusted when I lick myself. Look, we both know the truth. You're just jealous.
Tyson

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 10:09am PST 
From Dr. Jon--PetPlace.com:

What to do if your dog stops breathing???

We have been talking a lot about emergencies over the last few weeks. One of the most awful experiences for an owner is dealing with a pet that suddenly collapses. It could be a sudden thing, or after a trauma or with an ill pet but ...the animal collapses and stops breathing...and has no heartbeat.

What do you do?

Your only option to save your dog is to:

Start CPR.
Call for help
Get to your veterinarian as soon as possible.

A dog that goes without breathing for longer than 3 to 5 minutes can suffer permanent brain damage. Dogs that go for 10 minutes essentially have no hope of survival.

The dog only hope is you, some initial CPR and getting your dog to your veterinarian. Tomorrow I will send you detailed instructions on how to do CPR on a dog so you can be prepared.

Another important thing you can do to prepare for an emergency like this is to evaluate your financial situation. If a $1,000.00 or $2,500.00 expense is no big deal - then you may be prepared financially to deal with a difficult situation. However, if like most of us you would have difficulty dealing with that kind of expense, then you really should consider the benefits of pet insurance. Pet insurance helps pay for your pet's treatments, surgeries, lab fees, X-rays, and much more. This will give peace of mind and the financial resources to care for your dog in case of emergency.

To learn more about the benefits of pet insurance and to get a FREE quote go to: petinsurance.com.

Why do I believe in Pet Insurance? Well, because I've seen the lives of many pets saved because their owners had the financial ability to do the best for their pet.
Tyson

Barked: Thu Aug 21, '08 10:14am PST 
Pet Emergency Course: CPR

In the event of an emergency, your pet's life may depend on your quick recognition of the situation, your knowledge of pet first aid, and the way in which you respond to the emergency.

CPR, or cardiopulmonary resuscitation, is the act of artificially circulating blood and oxygen throughout the body during cardiac and respiratory arrest. Minutes without blood and oxygen can cause irreversible damage to the tissues and organs of the body; therefore, quick reaction is crucial.

Cardiopulmonary arrest, or the cessation of breathing and heartbeat, can be caused by many traumas, diseases, and disorders. If you feel an animal is in cardiopulmonary arrest, confirm this by speaking to the pet, touching him, and trying to arouse him. If you begin CPR on an animal that is not in arrest, you could become injured. Watch for the rise and fall of the animal's chest to determine if he is breathing.

If there are no breaths for 10 seconds, STAY CALM and begin CPR.
ABC's of CPR

Airway, breathing, and circulation are the ABC's of CPR. These three building blocks of resuscitation are to be established in this order. If possible, have two or three people available to perform CPR.

Airway

Before giving artificial respirations, check the pet's airway (mouth and throat) to determine that it is open and clean. Lay the pet on his side, extend his head, open his mouth, and pull out the tongue. Check the airway for any obstructions (e.g. a ball, stick, meat chunk, vomit, etc.).

If anything is seen or if the airway is too dark to visualize, perform a finger sweep. Run your index finger into the pet's mouth along the cheek and across the back of the throat. Deep in the throat is a structure called the hyoid bone, which you are unlikely to encounter. You should be aware of this though, and do not pull on it.

If an object is lodged in the throat, you can perform 5-10 abdominal thrusts (as in the Heimlich maneuver performed on humans) to try to dislodge the foreign body. If this works, the pet may regain consciousness on his own, or CPR may still need to be administered.
It is also possible that the airway can become blocked due to swelling. In this case, the pet needs to be treated by a veterinarian immediately.

Breathing

When the airway is free and clear, artificial respirations can be started if the animal is still not breathing. With the animal lying on his right side, extend the neck, pull out the tongue, and hold the mouth closed tightly over the tongue.

Place your mouth around the animal's nose, or nose and mouth, depending on the size of the patient. Create a seal with your lips and/or hand. Give two breaths, watching for the chest to rise and the lungs to expand fully. Be careful not to overinflate, especially in small animals. Expiration (or breathing out) is a passive process; allow this to occur after each breath.

After two breaths, watch for the pet to begin breathing on his own. If there is no response from the pet, continue artificial respirations at a rate of 12-20 breaths per minute for large pets and 20-25 times per minute for small pets. While watching for breaths, you should also feel the pet's chest near his left elbow to check for a heartbeat. If the heartbeat is absent, cardiac compressions should begin.

Circulation

In pets under 10 pounds, use your dominant hand to grasp the pet around his chest (thumb on one side, 4 fingers on the other) and squeeze 100-150 times per minute. You can also use the ball of your hand to compress the chest of a small pet that is more than 10 pounds, while using your non-dominant hand to support the pet's back and prevent him from sliding with compressions. Compress the chest by about 25-33% of its diameter.

In medium and large dogs, use one or two hands (depending on patient and rescuer size) to compress the widest part of the chest by 25-33% of its diameter. Do this 80 -120 times per minute. Lean over the dog, and compress with your elbow(s) locked to deliver optimal force.
If preferred, compressions can also be performed on medium and large dogs with the patient on his back. In this case, deliver compressions over the sternum (or breastbone).

Coordinating Artificial Respirations and Chest Compressions
If there is only one rescuer available to resuscitate the patient, give two breaths after every 15 compressions. If multiple rescuers are available, breaths should be administered during compressions at a rate of one breath during every second or third compression.

Veterinary Care

If possible, the pet should be transported to a veterinarian during CPR. If the patient recovers with your resuscitation efforts, he should still be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible, as follow-up care may be needed.
samson

Full of- energy!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 21, '08 12:06pm PST 
Wow, Tyson, your mom is smart.. I am glad I read this.. I am going to ask if the others in the group have sen this thread.. Thanks for the info.. Samsonhappy dance
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2