Peek-a-boo or cover eyes?

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Emma

Only the shawdow- knows....

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 7:08am PST 
Anyone know how to teach peek-a-boo or cover your eyes? I would love to teach my pups this but have no idea where to start!
Thanks!
smile
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Aug 15, '08 10:03am PST 
Hmmmm....let me ask Mocha. She is the queen of shaping.
Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '08 12:05pm PST 
Do you want the dog to be laying down, both paws over eyes, or do you want the dog to be sitting, one paw over eyes?

The shaping plan will be different depending on the goal behavior. I can try to make a detailed shaping plan if I know the goal behavior.

Belle

just your- average sweet- loveable girl!

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '08 5:09pm PST 
Why not post for both! I'd love to try the one sitting with one paw.way to go

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 12:43pm PST 
Have you ever shaped a paw lift before?

Some dogs will likely physically be unable to accomplish at least the sitting "peek a boo". There was a dog Gertie in my KPA class who would definitely not be physically able to perform the sitting "peek a boo" and may struggle with the behavior lying down. Her legs were very short and stubby, and they just "didn't go that way."

With a clicker, you can train a dog to perform any behavior the dog is physically capable of doing, but these behaviors may not be possible for all dogs.

For the average dog though, it is certainly possible.

With Monte, he has teary eyes, naturally. Often, while he lays down, he will wipe at his eyes with his paws. Obviously, the training plan for him would be very different than it would for Mokie, who never does that. With Monte, it could be captured, I'd have to shape it with Mokie.

Have you ever shaped a paw lift before (at first click for any movement, then movement of the feet, then higher movement of the feet, etc.)? That's all it is, really. Shaping the paw lift, and then raising your criteria for height, then proximity to the eye/nose, then building duration.
Belle

just your- average sweet- loveable girl!

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 6:01pm PST 
I have the paw lift for wave started so I should go from there? I did capture her rubbing her eye while standing a couple of times and the last time she repeated it so maybe a little of both. I love doing these little tricks. It really helps make the neighbor kids at ease around a bigger dog.
Emma

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 7:37pm PST 
Well she has 'rubbed' at her eyes while laying down so I could try to capture that. As far as sitting, I would have to work on shaping. I am noticing a hard time with shaping only because she tends to be a little lazy and treats don't entice her much. Nothing besides the baby bunny nest a few inches outside the fence seem to entice her!

My Jakey seems to take very well to it. He just kinda looks at me like, ok - what can I do next that will get me that magic click and treat! dog

Barked: Tue Aug 19, '08 8:16am PST 
Emma,

What sort of food reinforcers do you use?

If you're working from a sit, your shaping plan may look like:

CT for the sit
CT for leg movement
CT for any paw lift

At this point, you will need to decide which leg you want to cover the eyes. Let's assume you chose the right call.

CT for right paw movement
CT for right paw lift (even weak movement)
CT for right paw lift one inch from ground
" " " " " two inches from ground

Depending on the height of your dog, incrementally shape for height in this fashion. Do not always make it harder, but "ping pong" your height criteria using averages. Put one criteria on a VRS (variable reinforcement schedule) before moving on to the next.

80% is the magic number for criteria raising. If you wait until 90%, the dog may not being set up for success and would experience frustration, if you set it lower than 80%, you run the risk of boredom, low motivation, etc. Going too high or low you will start to see displacement behaviors...scrathing, walking away, sniffing, etc. Go back to the previous point of success and work quickly at a high rate of reinforcement to regain interest and confidence. Then end the session on a positive note. If you get her back from a displacement behavior situation, make things really quick and fun and give her a break.

Don't worry about going down a level. You will find that you move through the level so much more quickly the second time.

What may help you in this process is watching the shoulders as well as the feet, especially as the paw raise gets higher. You want to have well timed clicks, and "predicting the movement" really helps. A paw lift of any height has to begin at the shoulder, so often, a ripple in the muscle at the shoulder can be the predictor for a well-timed click. You'll get good quickly at observing your dog.

At first, shaping seems very cumbersome and awkward. If your shaping does not seem to be working well, one of two problems is likely at fault:

raising criteria too quickly
food not rewarding enough for the training session/context

Good luck!
Emma

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 7:24am PST 
Thanks for all your help guys! I feel like I should be handing out wads of cash for all this great advice!! dancing

I'll keep trying....Lately Emma just gets (for a lack of a better word) spastic when she sees me with a clicker snoopy I'm gonna take it as a good sign that she enjoys the training. smile

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '08 6:38pm PST 
You may have better luck if you start your session out by "starting your dog up" (we call this "how many CTs can you give your dog in thirty seconds"), or by doing some focus exercises, to let her know it's "time to work" and give her a chance to calm down enough to where she can learn.

Good luck! We'd love to see a picture when you get it trained!
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2