What behavior are you working on now?

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 9:56pm PST 
Since very few people have been hanging out on the Advocates site, I am left to assume you're all busy training your dogs!

So, what are you working on now?

With Mokie, I've been working on:

* our 10 part behavior chain for the KPA final

* a hearing dog chain for KPA that goes:

-dog hears audible stimulus (say, doorbell)
-dog finds handler, puts paw on handler and holds until...
-handler cues "show me"
-dog goes to source of sound, targets with nose, and sits, waiting for the trainer to arrive.

I got stuck a little bit at the end, but with some good advice from Helix Fairweather and Tia Guest on the KPA board, am back on track.

I'm also teaching her to play this silly toy piano when she sees this outrageous picture of Elton John. LOL.

For fun, we've been working on a "song and dance" routine. Mokie will make all kinds of funny noises and pump her front feet up and down.

Monte also seems to like the piano, but one paw takes up most of the keyboard and he slams it down so hard I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks it. I'm thinking I might get him a toy drum and teach him to play that, he and Mokie can follow in their dad's footsteps and be superstar musicians.

Other than that, with Monte, as always, we focus on the "life skill" of controlling his reactivity in real-world situations. Also, we've been doing a lot of focus exercises.

So, what have you all been up to?
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 12:12pm PST 
Hi guys! I haven't been here in forever. With the recent addition of Rudy to our pack, we're working on door manners these days. I got super lax with Blake and now that I have Rudy this has to change. I allowed Blake to go out the front door and greet guests on our front porch. He's a reformed jumper, so I didn't have to worry about that. He'd just rush out the door and give everyone a thorough sniffing. Then, when the company came in the house, he would follow.

Now that we have our beloved Rudy, the deal is different. Rudy will dash out an opened door with a moment's notice. And run. And run. And run. (I think he's trying to get up to NY to meet Mokie and Monte!) So, I'm back to square one with the training. Obviously I cannot have Blake rushing out and expect Rudy not to follow. At least, not easily. So, we're working on sitting and looking at a distance from the door while on a leash when company arrives. Ugh. This training is not fun!
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 12:53pm PST 
We've been reinforcing "leave it" because our human friends are slobs and leave their half eaten dinners all over the place.

Also working on "wait" just because. Again, a command he knows, but it seems to help him be more patient if it's reinforced every so often.

Since he lost his eye, I've been playing a lot of catch games to help him learn to compensate for lost depth perception. I'd like to get him into my friend's Agility for Fun and Confidence class as well.

We've been practicing walking on my right side, since he started avoiding it at all costs. I certainly understand that, but I do need him on my right side sometimes and he needs to know the world won't end if he has to walk there for a bit.

I've been reinforcing eye contact, which I think is more for myself than him - It's weird how different some things are, that shouldn't really be different. Although sometimes he seems to think if he points the incision in my direction that'll make me happy and he doesn't have to actually make eye contact. He probably learned to do that before I was aware of his lost vision.

And finally, we've been trying to get some kind of "look" command to make him aware of something on his right side.

I've been working most of that into our daily routine, which seems to be the best way to teach Vance anyway. Set sessions, even if they're only 5 minutes long, bore him. If I ask him to do something once before he goes through a door or whatever, he seems to learn much better and apply it to other places more easily.

And my mom's been teaching "gentle" when taking cookies. Belle did it perfectly, and she's convinced Vance must too. I don't know how the hell she managed, but about half the time he could be safely taking a cookie from a baby.

Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '08 7:59pm PST 
We no longer do "set" training sessions, but whenever Winnie and I go out in public I've been incorporating Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed exercises, specifically the Look At Me exercise. It's helping a lot with her anxiety/reactivity.

I noticed that I've been using a verbal clicker ("Yes!") a lot more these days. Which is kind of nice, since I don't like walking around with a clicker in my hand all the time and a leash in the other. Leaves less room to hold my string cheese.

ETA
But now that you mention it, I've been looking for something to do with Winnie clicker-wise. She knows practically every exercise for rally obedience (Novice to Excellent) and I'm running out of things to teach her. Any ideas for fun behavior sequences?

Edited by author Tue Jul 22, '08 8:05pm PST

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 10:59am PST 
I'm taking Demon and Princess through a foundations course. Kevin was supposed to handle Demon, but he is having some health issues, so my mom is handling him in class and that leaves me training 2 dogs for class.

I am also cleaning up all Asher's Rally moves because as soon as I get my team registration number, I am ready to start trailing. They cashed the check, but I still don't have the #.
Lady, CGC

Barked: Sat Jul 26, '08 9:11am PST 
Working on backing up sequences in heel, in front, side and behind. Started working on jumping rope too but going slow. (Or maybe Mom's trying to work too fast...sigh). Lady is on a bit of a training lull, don't have an excuse other than I see old age creeping in and digging in. (She's 11) cry

Mindy is who I work with the most..she's almost 2. I like the piano thing as a chain. How cute! Mindy is all about learning behaviors that get a response from people.
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '08 12:47pm PST 
We're working on a new behavior chain!

Open the trashcan
Pick up a wad of paper
Drop it in the trashcan
Nudge the lid of the trashcan shut

So far we have 1.5 of the 4 down. Winnie would rather shred the piece of paper, so we're still working on that bit. I'm recording the training sessions in a video- the first one is on her petpage for anyone who's interested smile

After we get the Trashy trick we're going to try Roll Yourself Up In a Blanket. Winnie doesn't seem to fond of putting the towel in her mouth so that'll be our biggest "challenge".
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Tue Aug 26, '08 4:10pm PST 
I'm working on wait....with me walking on from the wait and Cracker waiting for a release. I let the wait behaviour slip a bit and found she was stepping off curbs before me or moving out of the door into the hallway before I was ready...

Also, paw targeting..this is a tough one for her.
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 9, '10 12:07pm PST 
Holly and I are working on her getting me my purse/bag. I ask her to find my purse, and she runs around, sniffing until she finds it, then brings it to me. She's doing so well! She really gets a thrill out of getting it right. I can't believe how fast she took to it! Before we crossed over I could NEVER get her to carry something in her mouth. Now she's bringing me my slippers and bag just to see if I'll give her a treat! dancing
Ninja *adopted!

adopt me- pleeeaaaassseeee- e

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 10:02am PST 
with maple we are still perfecting 'stretch' and learning to lower head onto objects on command.
cinnamon learning to lower head onto objects on command and perfecting her first clicker learned exercise: walking to and sitting in a box.
ninja(rescue) is working on door manners, still loading the clicker with him(he is not food motivated at all- i have tried a lot..), and relearning sit.
hoss(rescue) is focusing on lay and wait with increasing distractions and distance..

i have to figure out what the best way to praise ninja is. he is not food motivated, and i've never trained a dog that is un-interested in food..
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2