Leash training help

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Sugar

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 4:58pm PST 
I am a service dog and my momma uses a nose leader. I don't mind it at all and it doesn't hurt me. However it reminds me that I need to listen to my momma!
In Loving- Memory of- Panzer

one tough puppy

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 11:49am PST 
I am a firm believer in prong collars when they are fitted and used correctly, and they are exceptional tools i dont know where i would be without them puppy. But no matter what collar or leash you use without training they quickly become a crutch. The tactic i use for all my dogs has always been the same and it has always worked but it takes patience and time but once if you follow through it will be worth it for you and your dog.

First constantly remind your self the you decide there you are going and not the dog. When he pulls he thinks he is deciding. Whenever they pull immediately turn and walk the opposite direction until you feel he is refocused then turn and go the way you originally wanted to go(most likely he will eventually try to pull again going in the new direction so it will get repetitive, if you start to notice that he pulls immediately in the direction you change him to and it becomes a game then just stand still until he calms down and realizes that when he gets all excited he doesnt get to go anywhere at all)do this everytime that your dog pulls trying to take you somewhere too fast or the way he wants to go.

It will make for a very long walk but i promise it will be worth it in the end.

Make sure if your are you using this technique while your dog is wearing a prong collar to have the leash attached to the dead rin

Good Luck and Happy Trails!
In Loving- Memory of- Panzer

one tough puppy

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 11:57am PST 
part 2. haha I just read sugars response and a gentle leader is perfect for the turning and walking option.

another option that i use is just standing still, shows them that they dont get to go anywhere at all when they pull and are too excited, that is a great way to teach them how to leave for a walk and other "start off" points. I reccomend a prong for this one but let the dog correct itself dont pull back on them.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2