|Barked: Mon Aug 4, '08 11:00am PST |
|We are staging a protest of the new Petland store which will be opening in the Pittsburgh Village of East Side on this Saturday, the 9th of August.
Here are the facts about Petland (which many of you on this forum already know):
• Petland is a large pet store franchise who makes profit by selling
intentionally bred companion animals.
• Most of the puppies sold at Petland come from puppy mills,
factory-style breeding operations that produce puppies in large
numbers. They are notorious for being inhumane; designed to
maximize profits, disregarding the physical social and emotional
health of the dogs. Breeder dogs are kept in cruel confinement
and forced to bear litter after litter until they no longer can.
• Many puppy mill puppies are inbred and suffer physical,
emotional and behavioral problems.
• Rabbits, kittens, birds and other animals are also likely provided
by factory-style mill operations.
• Petland sells animals that have not been spayed or neutered,
contributing to the overpopulation of animal shelters and rescue
• Some Petland stores have violated state anti-cruelty laws with
inhumane confinement and the freezing of baby mice and rats
• Anecdotal evidence (eg. ConsumerAffairs.com) indicates that
many, many animals become very ill soon after being purchased,
and that Petland’s “warranties” often do not cover these illnesses.
Petland supports an inhumane industry AND takes away potential homes from thousands of animals in shelters whose lives are already at stake. To add insult to injury, the new Petland is just around the corner from one of Pittsburgh’s largest city shelters. At this time of year, in the middle of “kitten season,” all of the shelters are overflowing with animals looking for good homes.
Please help us picket Petland and convince shoppers to boycott this store before it even gets off its feet. We need numbers so that we can have a presence at the store over opening weekend, as well as a continuing presence in future weeks. If you can help us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
|my page | msg me | gift me | become pals|