Is anyone else disturbed by...

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Sadie Mae *- CGC - SD *

People are too- easy to train!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '08 8:49am PST 
QUOTE- I dislike when people pmail me after I've offered assistance where I first state "I am NOT a professional trainer or behaviorist. This is what I've learned from researching Mack's issues:"

I agree it is an exchange of ideas ,use what you like and what works for you as long as it is fair to our furry friends.

A real eyeopener is to teach a group of kids and listen to them and they will open your eyes to things that had not occurred to you. Their perception can be amazing.

Some of my best ideas come from students as I always tell them to think outside the box and they will come back with some great ideas.
Never be afraid to learn from others you would be surprised by what little tidbit you might need in the future.
Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Barked: Wed Apr 2, '08 10:04am PST 
Ash,

I haven't checked group in a few days and was wondering if our phone call last week spawned this? LOL!

I know exactly what members you are talking about.

I've actually discussed this with a few of my fellow B & T pals lately. I don't care if someone's a professional or not and wants to offer advice in the forums.

What I do care about is the dishonesty. I know for a fact that bad information kills dogs and has the potential to hurt or maim people.

I get mad when people call themselves "behaviorists" when they are obviously not. I feel like "behaviorist" is a title I dream of achieving someday. Khola is my friend, and I have a lot of respect for how hard Khola's "person" has worked toward the eventual goal of earning this distinction. It makes me mad when people self-apply a title which takes a large amount of dedication and focus to earn. Calling myself a "behaviorist" would be disrespectful to my friends who are legitimate behaviorists.

It's lying, and it's dangerous. Unfortunately, some people really do come to dogster's B & T forum as their only source of training information.

I have no degree, no experience as a professional trainer (yet!). I can tell what I've learned experientially or through my reading, but don't feel that I need to fabricate credentials in order for my information to be valuable. It makes me angry when I've tried so hard to expand my knowledge, and will be disregarded just because someone else who gave themselves the title of behaviorist disagrees with me while providing dangerous information. I agree with Vance, this type of behavior lends the average dog owner to believe that, unless you give yourself a title, you are incapable of training a dog.

I think of Nick, Asher, and Indy, some of my B & T pals who are very knowledgable and willingly offer insightful and helpful advice in the forums, and don't think that they're any less respected in the B & T community because they are not professional trainers nor do I believe that their suggestions hold any less water because of this.

It's hard for me not to get frustrated that one is expected to refrain from "calling these people out" in the forums. I know that dogster is supposed to be a kid-friendly site. But based on this assumption, we can assume that there are children in the B & T forums. Based on my knowledge of children, if they read something and it sounds good, they will try it! In my opinion, when "trying out" clicker training, there is little risk of injury with your average dog.

My trainer always said that there's a reason clicker trainers don't have the "don't try this at home" safety disclaimer that CM has on his show because clicker training is a safer approach to working with a dog.

But some of the methods touted by these alleged "behaviorists" would, improperly applied, maybe lead to someone (dog or human) getting hurt very badly. So what is worse...to call a spade a spade and say "your credentials don't match the title you've self-applied), or to let them continue giving bad information until someone gets hurt?

I think it's very scary, honestly.
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 9, '10 12:39pm PST 
Looking at this thread is really eye-opening for me. I'm a teen I've been walking and dog-sitting for about 5 years now. It's a lot of fun, and I've even gotten bonuses from clients for helping them train their dogs to do basic stuff like loose leash, and down. However, I would never presume to call myself a professional trainer. I train my own dog, and read any training info I can get my hands on. For me at least, it's so cool to be able to come here and ask questions of people who actually know what they're doing. It's thanks to the wonderful Dogster community I started to look into clicker training. The more I read here, the more I realize how little I used to know. wink Thanks you guys for all of the amazing information, and I hope that one day I'll be able to train like you guys.

Lucky, NTD

Novice trick- dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 7, '11 1:52pm PST 
I'm a junior handler, too, like Holly. I trained my first dog at the age of eleven. But I no way consider myself "professional". I'm happy to work on basic with people. You know, stuff like down or sit, but nothing more.
Ninja *adopted!

adopt me- pleeeaaaassseeee- e

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 9:53am PST 
I love this topic smile I myself am 23, and just beginning an apprenticeship with a behaviorist. In the past three to four years I discovered positive training- operant and classical conditioning. I do offer advise on things that I'm comfortable with, but recommend truly professional behaviorists just as much.
In no way do I consider myself a professional myself. I'm working towards it and i know that it will take years of hard work and lots of trials.wink
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 5:37pm PST 
I have noticed it too Asher. It makes me really uncomfortable and it crops up every now and again. Now I'm no dog trainer and come her for advice. Jackson is my first dog and I'm doing everything by feel with an emphasis on the positive. And everyone is allowed an opinion. But some of these 'trainers' whether they be young or old and set in their ways, doesn't matter, can become almost aggressive if you counter their ideas with your own. As long as all our methods are positive ones, there really aren't any rights or wrongs. You do what works. I remember a while back I was talking about trying gesture eating after reading a book and was told that was the 'height of idiocy,' or something similar. (Can't remember the direct words now but they weren't nice.) Like I was hurting my dog or something! I thought that was a little harsh. All someone really needs to say is 'I don't do that, I do this, let's have a chat about it.'. That's it. There's lots of stuff on here I've seen that I don't agree with too but as most of us are not professionals, just peers, doesn't it pay to discuss things in a civil, adult manner? And even if you DO feel you're a professional, it still doesn't give you free reign to be rude, does it now? Just because someone is accredited doesn't give them a license to be holier than thou on the forums, 'cause their way ain't the only way, even if they think it! *Sigh*!
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2