new bloodhound pup

Smoke

Even if its- nailed down,- I'll chew on it

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 8:17pm PST 
Hi my name is Leasa, and 3 wks ago we added a new member to our family. (6wks old then) and now 9 wk old bloodhound name Smoke (after hubbys fav nascar driver). We have never owned a bloodhound before and havent owned a pup this yound in 15 yrs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a few things like... housebreaking... and biting/chewing on things and the kids.. lol

Ive never crate trained dont even know where to start there.. I did go and purchase a crate though. He will whine to go out to make a poop but will just pee anywhere he wants and its getting annoying.

the second area is biting/chewing. he seems to like to bite everything, including my kids who are 10..9..8 and 4. no other dogs or animals in the house.

its like having a new baby in the house. any advice I would greatly appreciate.

tysm

Leasa
Kasey

AROOOOOOO!

Barked: Wed Mar 5, '08 6:39am PST 
Hi! I'm new too! I'm 6weeks old. Sis wants to say something:
With the chewing, just tell her no, then walk away or replace with a toy- he's a puppy and pups will chew- haha!
Crating: you might have too big of a crate if he still pees in it. Plus you need to let him out every hour to potty and gradually work it up until he can be in there for a couple of hours at a time- make sure that when you get home you take him STRAIGHT outside, don't wait! Pups have tiny bladders so they can't hold it very long. Also teach him to ring a bell by the door to be let out- it is my favorite thing to teach them becasue you may not hear a whine but a loud jingle you will.
I've had pups in my house for a long time (dogs that are now: 10, two that are 3, a 1yo, and now lil' Kasey) and I'm planning on my carer track to include dog training and general dog help so if you need any more help and can't find what you need, I'll be happy to help you out!
Gracie Lou- Freebush

Who, Me? I'm- innocent.

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 3:43pm PST 
Congrats! You are in for the time of your life. Hounds are wonderful family dogs with tons of love - so watch out with small kids when he gets fully grown. Also I've heard a wet rag or magic eraser will get rid of all the goobers you'll see on your walls...doors...appliances..... smile

Sampson

JUST FOLLOW THE- NOSE

Barked: Tue Jul 14, '09 3:26pm PST 
im new to the hound thing too, i have 3 others but are no where near the size or breed of the hound. I was forwarned about the baying but ie only had him for two days and he never made a sound just layed around then all of a sudden at 6am he did it and scared the daylights out of me and my hubby...come to find out my 7mo old baby is potty trained and ive only worked with his basic training for a few hrs yesterday and hes got the "sit/down " command already mastered. im just in shock of how perfect this baby is!cloud 9