Do Rottweilers Fetch?

Boone

I'm gonna lay- down here for a- minute.

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 4:20pm PST 
I've been having a hell of a time trying to get my Rottweiler to play fetch. Fetch was obvious and immediate to every other dog I've ever owned. Boone occasionally enjoys chasing something that has been thrown for him, but has NEVER brought anything back, even for a high value food reward (e.g. hotdogs) He's active, loves to walk and is playful, but just doesn't get it.

Is his Rottweiler parentage working against him?
Daphney vom- Rommelfaenge- r

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 6:31am PST 
Some will play fetch and some won't.
Daphney will fetch anything ,but her son Elwood will not.
Just depends on the dog.
Start close on a leash and see if they will pick it up and give it to you.Then move farther away.
Why should they pick it up if you will walk over there and get it for them?
Fritz

Fritz - Give this poor- dog a bone!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 9:25am PST 
I fetch all the time, try teaching him that his toys are important and his, make a big deal out of it and make him proud of his toys. My people trow a ball or toy in the house and I bring it back for more fun. Use praise instead or rewards.
I hope this helps,
Fritzie

Vader

Come to the dark- side...we have- cookies

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '08 9:25pm PST 
One of my Rotties (Vader) loves to play frisbee and fetch with other objects. My other Rott (Marley) has never shown an interest in playing, not even in his younger years. I guess it just depends on the dog...they all like different games.
TANK

THE TANK

Barked: Sun May 18, '08 7:10pm PST 
Tanks favorite thing is fetching his ball, get you r rottie a squeakie ball, tanks favorite we can only find at safeway it has ridges and is pink, yellow and bue, his absolute favorite toy and he will go get it and drop it in your lap if he wants to play, plus helps wear him out when he needs a nap!
Tucker

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 11:43am PST 
Tucker will fetch his decoy if we are at the lake, and then Dozer will steal it from him and bring it to the shore and then just drop it. Dozer will almost fetch a ball but seems to lose interest after a few feet and will drop it ( silly rottie) and Buddy will fetch anything I throw for him, balls , rags, toys.
chucklehead- sam cgc - on the

wheres my mom

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '08 8:08pm PST 
both gretta and chloe fetch, however i don't. gretta does anything for a tennis ball, and this is what we use for training.
Oso CGC

Bulldoggie

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 3:02pm PST 
Rottweillers play fetch, it's just a different kind of fetch, you throw the ball, and you fetch after them.