bernie habits

Dudley

ChewMaster of- Ears and Feet

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '08 4:18pm PST 
we just adopted a Bernie mix. he is about 7-9 months old. he will be neutered on Jan. 4th. He is so playful and is constantly pulling on my bassets' ears etc. she will go along for awhile then she will nip at him and he will stop for a few min. sometimes we put the leash on him when he gets too rowdy and he lays down and calms down. are all Bernie pups like that. and also everytime we get up he has to follow us. another thing, he hardly ever lats down in one place very long. couch to the floor to the foyer to the couch etc. is this common too? any info would be appreciated. thanx Linda
Reilly

If i can chew- it, I will chew- it.

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '08 6:08am PST 
yes its typical. Or at least it is with my Berner.

Reilly is now 1 year old and he is a handful. He is not a bad dog, he just has alot of energy and we have to make sure he get enough exercise and has toys that stimulate him to play. Like Kongs filled with treats and a rolling treatball.

Recently found a local dog training group and we are taking both Reilly and my Great Pyr to classes.
Dudley

ChewMaster of- Ears and Feet

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '08 5:56pm PST 
thanx fo your response. Dudley is still bouncing off the walls! But does semm to be getting calmer at times. He goes in tomorrow to get neutered and I'm hoping that will help him some. I have never had a puppy that was so active! but I have never had a bernie or mix before. if you have any more advice etc I would appreciate it.. Linda

Sydney

Is winter here- yet?

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 1:26pm PST 
My Bernese didn't get out of her puppy stages until she was 1 1/2. It seemed like as soon as that date hit she was great. I can leave the garbage out and she doesn't get into it. She is great. So, just be patient and the obedience will come with time. She chewed my furniture and favorite shoes in the beginning and I thought I would have to crate her for her whole life.
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 2:50pm PST 
Both my berners were like this as puppies. Maggie was very active and as a puppy it was difficult to find things to tire her out. Bosley is a little more laid back, but he still is quite active. Bernese were bred to be working dogs and they really need a job to do to keep them happy. I am involved in obedience, agility and am starting carting. I have also tried tracking and found that it is a great way to tire out a young dog and to keep them busy. My dogs need a minimum of 1 hour exercise a day (off leash running - leashed walks do little to tire them out) just to keep them behaved. As your dog matures things will get better, as long as he has enough exercise and activity.