Skijoring!

Heffner

Counter surfing- is an art

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '07 3:51pm PST 
Well, it finally happened!! This past Sat. I took Heffner up to Frog Lake and we did some skijoring!! Thanks to the help of Kim, it was a total blast and we are definitely hooked! Heffner was enjoying the fact that it was actually okay and encouraged for him to pull me! I took some nice tumbles, but it was still a really fun experience. I can't wait to get back out there! Anyone else been out skijoring yet this year?

Lindsay
Atlas

Please feed me!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '07 8:09pm PST 
Can you go skijoring on typical cross-country groomed trails? I keep considering it, but since skiing is not my first choice, it hasn't made it high up the list yet.

I may sign up for the class and try it with a sled instead. smile
Heffner

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '07 6:21pm PST 
You can go on traditional trails. The only warning that I've heard of is that you want to try trails that other people have skijored on. If it's a groomed trail that you've only seen cross country skiers on, they tend to get miffed about the dogs messing up the tracks. However, it sounds like up on Mt. Hood there are plenty of general use trails that are skijor friendly!

Lindsay

Heffner

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 8:21am PST 
I took Heffner up again this past Fri. and he had a blast! The snow was just awesome!! Much deeper and just so much fun to be on. Heffner was doing really well while chasing another team, but pretty much just wanted to play once he caught up. Something I'm really going to have to work on. Unless he thought there were some dogs ahead of him, he wasn't terribly interested in pulling.

About half way through I lunharnessed him to let him burn off his excessive energy while I continued skiing. He totally had a blast! He was leaping through the snow drifts (some of which were almost over his head!) and even diving head first into some. Although I couldn't tell if that was entirely intentional. At any rate, he had a great time.

After we turned around and were about a half mile from the parking lot, I reharnessed him and he was actually down to business. I think he knew that we were "going home" and was ready for some treats and a nap.

Lindsay
GO AWAY DAD

I eat- everything.

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 7:39am PST 
Skijoring sounds really fun, but I can't imagine being on skis getting pulled by an overweight beagle.confused
Heffner

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 10:10pm PST 
LOL! You'd wip her into shape in no time!
GO AWAY DAD

I eat- everything.

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '08 8:51am PST 
BOLlaugh out loud We might need more then one beagle! The thing about Daisy is that she wouldn't want to pull. She will look at you with pitiful eyes and you'll have to do all the work.snoopysnoopy