Housebreaking 1.5 year old Scottie! Arrgh!

Glen

DO NOT TOUCH MY- EARS

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '07 3:24pm PST 
Can anyone tell me if crate-training (while I'm away) is the best and fastest way to housebreaking my Scottie? He lived his whole previous life in the backyard. Has anyone trained their Scottie to ring a bell at the door, etc.? Am I on the right track with the crate and NUMEROUS walks with rewards? He seems to be picking it up but still wants to #2 in the house (right after a walk). Thanks so much for any tips you have.

My carpet thanks you, too.
Mr.McDuff- aKa Mac

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '07 8:52am PST 
i was 15 wekks when i came to live with my humans & it took me till i was almost 2 to be fully housebroken. It sounds like you're on the right track, but you may have just a stubborn scottie like myself on your hands big grin

P.S.- Did everything checkout out ok with the vet. because sometimes its a medical problem & also try to clean every area that your scottie does his # 2 on with a stong pet oder elimenator/ cleanser ... Good Luck to you & your carpet !
Goldie

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 12:50pm PST 
Goldie was 4 months old when she came to our house and it has been a real issue with us. She, like your baby, likes to hold it until she returns to the house to do #2. Belle came to live with us when she was only 8 weeks old. She's now 4 months old and doing better than Goldie.way to go but she still gets to playing outside and forgets until she gets back in the house also.

I wasn't able to do much crate training as I am gone from home for hours at a time and my husband just won't do the crate thing.shrugshrugshrug

Louis V

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 9:03am PST 
I have a 1.6 month old scottie. He is a male and he is housebroken, but when we leave he has a habit of sometimes lifting his leg on the couch. I don't want to put a belly band on him nor do I want to crate him because he likes being out and is good other than that. He likes to be with my westie. I am trying to make sure he empties his bladder first thing in the morning and then my brother takes him out again before he leaves work. He also takes them out at lunch time. I am putting his water up while we are not there. It isn't hot and he doesn't need that much water. Does anyone recommend I do anything else. I would love some help. The vet said that if I got him fixed at 6 months that he wouldn't lift his leg, but he does.

Thank you, Janna
Morgan/Rescu- e- LesPetiteCot- esSc

Ready to bite- tail and take- sniffs.

Barked: Sun Dec 27, '09 2:43pm PST 
They say a dog can hold it for as long as your puppy has been old, example: 2 hours for a 2 month old dog. If the dog is over a year old the dog should be able to hold the bladder for 8 hours although it's not ideal.

Poo-wise, you should walk your dog outside until the dog poos. I did this over the summer with Morgan (2 1/2 yo from a puppy mill) and the last three puppies she had were all pretty trained to go outside with the last one who stayed 11 1/2 weeks being completely potty trained. This happened only because I walked them outside every few hours.

My brother and s-i-l adopted one of Morgan's puppies. She'll be 20 weeks old tomorrow. She potties and poos in the house for them but when I cared for her for two different weekends she did not do any business in the house because I walked her 45 minutes in the morning, 30 in the afternoon and 45 at night along with trips outside every few hours. Of course when she did her business she got a lot of praise and she learned quickly that when we come back from our walk we get a small treat.

My point is is that the dog needs ample time outside to walk. The walking will stimulate excretion automatically.
Morgan/Rescu- e- LesPetiteCot- esSc

Ready to bite- tail and take- sniffs.

Barked: Sun Dec 27, '09 2:46pm PST 
Uuuhhhh I tried to start a new thread in this group and it won't let me because the administrator is the only one that can start one?

Can't be an active group if the group has been dead from lack of ability to post for a year! smile