Page Links: 1  2  
Kaiser

Woobi

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '07 8:29am PST 
What park do you and your dog frequent? snoopy
Jake

Everyone's my- friend!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '07 5:00pm PST 
Most frequently we go to Gahanna Pooch Playground, but the park is moving to Pizzuro Park on S. Hamilton Rd. near the airport golf course from Hannah Park on Clark State Rd. Sometimes we go to Westerville Bark Park, too.puppy
Jake

Everyone's my- friend!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '07 5:03pm PST 
P.S. To go for a walk, we most often go to the Goldenrod Trail (designated dog path) at Blendon Woods and once in a while the dog path up at Highbanks. In the summer we do Alum Creek dog park after Highbanks so I can go swim at the doggie beach!snoopy

Kaiser

Woobi

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '07 6:02am PST 
Sounds like fun, I have never been to those locations before! We may have to check them out. We go to a little school in Italian Village that is gated in. We love to play as much as we can!!
Meeka

Live Well, Love- Much, Eat Often.

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 5:12pm PST 
Where are these bark parks you speak of? Our mom's cousin just moved to the Columbus area and just got a new pup. I'm sure they'd like to get us together with other dogs more. We get along great with the other family dogs (though I'm usually pretty stand-offish at first while my sister Maura is quick to make friends), but if we are on a leash with Mom we act a little nervous and bark a lot.

We usually walk at Sharon Woods, but mom gets nervous taking us there because we act up when a human walks by (pulling toward the people wanting them to pet us) and we sometimes pull and bark when another dog walks past (my sister Maura is a little out of control about this sometimes). She hopes that we will be fine in a dog park when we are allowed off leash to run and play without feeling restricted, but she's unsure and does not want us to get hurt or make a normally friendly pup mad enough to threaten one of us.

If anyone has any encouraging words or horror stories of dogs you have seen act up (something that will make her feel less embarassed about our behavior at first so we can get over our nervousness and just play)?

Mom has done really well with most of our training, but we are very excitable and often jump on or towards new people and unless we are corrected by the person we are jumping on (mom tries, but we need to hear it from the person we are jumping on) we continue to do it. (Maura is an Italian Greyhound/Australian Cattle Dog mix and I am a Schnauzer/Australian Shep mix).

Please help...we are still pretty young and are ready to socialize more.
Kaiser

Woobi

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 8:55am PST 
Meeka, a great tool that I have found with Kaiser and pulling is a harness made by Gentle Leader, you can get them from Pet People. Kaiser used to pull all the time and this stopped him right away, and it doesnt bother him at all.

I also use it as a training tool for his walks, since he cant pull away from me (I only give about 2 feet to him on his lead), I use it to make him stop at all cross walks, etc. Kind of as a correction tool. Once I give a command, he does it. If not a give him another command, and a quick tug to enforce what I want him to do. Maybe that will help you with the pulling, as well as stying close when your owner wants you to.

A great place for Dogs is off of Livingston and Noe Bixby for off leash, they can run,swim and have a great time!
Meeka

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '07 10:57pm PST 
Thank you Kaiser!! We do have a Gentle Leader, but the last time Mom used it, I think it was too big for me and I ended up getting it from around my nose and in my mouth and I was so frantic around other dogs I pulled hard and made my gums bleed before Mom could get to me to fix it. That was a while back and I think I have grown some so we will have to try it again. It's a "medium" and I am about 25lbs. Mom and I think that's correct, but we will soon find out. smile Thanks so much for the info. My mom's cousin just got a new pup (6 month old boxer mix) so we will have to try the off leash park together. Maybe a 6 month old boxer will make us look good lol (or maybe she'll make us look awful!! lol)
Jake

Everyone's my- friend!

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 10:42am PST 
This is a belated response to Meeka --

First of all, I wore a Gentle Leader for about 8-9 months and never got used to it. Hated it, in fact. So, my mommy also switched me to the no-pull harness (at Pet People! My mommy & I love that store!)that Kaiser speaks of and I'm much happier. People who haven't used them also tended to either think it was a muzzle and I bit people (which is the farthest thing from my mind) or that my mom was cruel, because they don't understand them. So, you have less of the hassle from ignorant people.

Secondly, you wanted to know where these dog parks are. The Gahanna Pooch Playground has a web site, www.poochplayground.com. Alum Creek's dog park, the one north of Polaris off Old State Rd. by the state park marina, also has a web site, www.alumcreekdogpark.com. Alum Creek is closing early every day (4 p.m.) until spring due to some work they're doing on the property. Westerville Bark Park info can be found on the city of Westerville site, www.westerville.org. There are others linked on the Pooch Playground or Columbus Dog Connection sites. These are all public parks, so they're free. There are a few private ones in the area that require membership fees, so be sure to check that out when you're online.
Kaiser

Woobi

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 10:20am PST 
Jake has the right Gentle Leader...Kaiser did not like the mouth one either....in fact, that got returned to Pet People quicker than Kaiser can eat a pupcake! The front Gentle Leader Harness is really the way to go...you'll love it I promise and there wont be any fighting to get it on!
Meeka

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '07 7:08am PST 
Great help!! So it is just called the no-pull harness? No brand name or anything we can look for? We will probably look there this coming week or weekend.

Have a great day!!
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2