Collie Misconceptions

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '07 3:17pm PST 
My mistress, Cookie (my GSD "sister"), and I think that Collies are a GREAT breed. (Altoght Cookie naturally prefers GSDs.) Almost nothing would please me more than to point out some untrue "facts" often said about Collies. (I'm not a Collie myself, but I am what some people mistakingly call a “miniature Collie”. But, We’ll get to that later.)
First of all, many people say since Collies are big, they need a big yard and house to live in. Collies like and enjoy a big yard, but it’s not something that they need. According to Chelsea Collies (a REPUTABLE breeder), Collies love long walks, but can thrive on a small city lot. There’s really just one thing Collies need to be truly happy: Human Companionship. Collies are true family dogs.
Here’s a more common assumption: Collies need to be brushed once a day or more, and need baths every few days. Ha! They may LOOK like it, but looks can be deceiving. Collies really only need to be brushed once a week, sometimes less. In fact, when not in the shedding season, you can wait 2 weeks before brushing your Collie again.
Here’s one that’s kinda about Collies: Shelties (sometimes called “Miniature Collies”) are exactly the same as Collie except for the size. Baloney! Collies and Shelties are 2 different and discinct breeds. (Shelties “look” a lot like Collies because they have Collies in their ancestry.) Sure, Collies and Shelties are very similar, but there ARE differences. And, pal, those differences are as plain as night and day. First of all, the size. Shelties are MUCH smaller than Collies, although there have been some very close to the size of a Collie. That’s not the only difference, though. While a Sheltie’s body may look just like a Collie’s body, the BIG difference is the head, which is shaped different. Collies have long, slender noses. Shelties do NOT. Many people think that the above “facts” are true. But, as I’m sure all you Collies could testify to, they are NOT.
Now, you’re probable thinking, “What are you, a Collie expert?” Not really, but we have read a lot about Collies and Shelties. So, we could tell you a lot of things. No, my mistress has never owned a Collie, although she plans to someday. However, she has met 2 Collies (and got to pet them). Both seemed to LOVE the attention they got from her. They seemed to love meeting people. They seemed gentle, fun-loving, and well-behaved. My mistress has never met a dog (besides her own dogs, of course) that she liked more. When my mistress first met a Collie, she was surprised about how narrow the nose looked. She thinks it makes them look smart. I think so too. She would LOVE to meet more around town (we live in St. Marys, Georgia). She does know of some 3 other Collies that live here, but she has never met them. They were in a St. Marys magazine, in an artcile about shelter pets (the first story too). 2 were rescued from a puppy miller “breeder” who had 300 Collies, and killed 100 of them just because she didn’t want them anymore. One of the remaining 200, one died later, and the rest were rescued and found homes. The 3rd Collie was from the Humane Society in Kingsland. He had been abandoned and tied to a road sign. Boy, would my mistress LOVE to meet them! Collies are not right for everyone, but you can admire a breed and not own it. You know, Shelties are popular (in the Top Twenty on most popularly owned breeds list). I think the reason for this is that people hear about the Collie misconceptions mentioned above (and believe them), and figure that since Shelties look like Collies, that Shelties would make a better pet because thy’re smaller. It’s possible anyway. Please leave a comment if you think I’m wrong on something, or just want to tell me that I did a good job, or anything else.
wave
Sugar

Im the- Baby...gotta- LOVE ME!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '07 9:27am PST 
I can help you on your "Collie Misconception"... I have a Shelti and a Collie. They are VERY Different. I love them both .. like a parent of two distincly different children. I love both dogs.. for their different personalites. Its wonderful to have BOTH. I thourghly enjoy each personality quirks. Whether the quirks are breed orientated. OR just THIER own. I find it a HONOR and a PLEASURE to know them both. So much fun.
My Collie *Sugar* a Tri 10 month old collie, Loves to play with all her toys. Loves to be at my feet at all times. IF that means waking up from a sound sleep and moving from room to room to be near me. So devoted. But my Shelti *Sable* Scout, is the same in this aspect. But just not as CLOSE. HA! Scout is Very obeidant.. comes when called IMMEDIATLY. Sugar is working on this. Im hoping its Pup related and Not breed. Shes getting better.
I embrace their differences. Its alll good! big grin
Shep

Shyboy, Furby,- Hippi, Pumpkin

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '08 5:45am PST 
HI Sugar! I agree. Collies and Shelties are two different breeds. No they are not mini collies. Heck. they have fur like us collies, and look like a smaller collie until you get the headpiece. Collies are a headpiece dog and so laid back! Shelties might be, I'm not into shelties yet. All I know is I live with Dalmatian and I can tell the difference. My brother the Dal rules the roost, but I'm top dog! LOL. Collies make great service dogs but have hang ups and don't like to repeat tasks. I can only imagine how long it took to film a collie movie. Shep (Air Lord Shepherd of Sundell, CGC, SDIT)

Ginger

Talk to the- tail!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 6:09pm PST 
Ya gotta make us want to do it...that's all. If it's boring, then forget it.
Ginger

Talk to the- tail!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 6:12pm PST 
About repeated myself. Computer issues and big paws. Grooming is okay, so long as I've got the kids fussing over me .

Edited by author Sat Feb 2, '08 6:17pm PST

Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '08 9:48am PST 
My mistress hopes to own a Collie one day. She has met 2 Collies. Both rough sables. One had a puppy cut though. The first one she met was named Katie and the other one was Chilly, I think.
Mistress has read about Collies too. Collies and Shelties are mistress's absolute favorite breeds.
Wow, I started this thread a long time ago, so I'm sorry for repeating myself!laugh out loud

Edited by author Tue Mar 11, '08 9:51am PST

ARWEN

Happy

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '08 10:01am PST 
Hi Gray Dawntreader,
Your person did a good job on the "Collie Misconceptions". Did you also know that Collies don't need to be bathed as often as most dogs.Something to do with the oil in their coats, they don't get that doggy smell ..We have 3 collies and each ones coat is different. Our Arwen 's only need a brushing maybe every other week. Her coat is very soft and silky and does not mat. While our Loni's coat is more course and needs
a brushing more often and does mat. Strider our 3 legged boy, his coat is very silky around his ears but the rest of him is course and veries in length and mats terribly around the ears..
We had Sheelties for years. And yes they are different dogs altogether. Wonderful dogs but not a Collie at all...
I wish we lived closer to you so you could meet our Collies. There's nothing they like more then to be fussed over.. We live in Maryland...
Oh yes did you know that most Collies love to talk to you.. Or it could just be a girl thing. Our girls talk all the time but our boy just likes to bark.. Go figure...
Dart

Fuzz-butty- McButty

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 9:00pm PST 
Dart doesn't talk much, just when I steal his toys from him. Keh keh keh. >big grin

Also, collies are NOT all Lassies. Seriously. Let's say I was Timmy, k? And Dart was Dart. If I fell in the well, he probably would, too. XD *hugs him*
Beacon- Elliette- Kumm

Bek, the Dog of- Big Sky

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 3:10pm PST 
I agree, both breeds are spectacularly easy to love but they are both very, very different. I would even argue that shelties have more energy but that may just be my experience with the dogs that I have been around. Our barks are also very different...nothing quite like the collie bark smile. As far as the collie coat, it is much more easy to maintain than it looks. I am very careful about keeping myself clean, I don't like to step in mud unless I'm on a hike! Both breeds are a treasure.
Beacon- Elliette- Kumm

Bek, the Dog of- Big Sky

Barked: Wed Oct 1, '08 3:14pm PST 
& I couldn't agree more with Dart- COLLIES ARE NOT LASSIE. Anybody who is thinking of owning a collie should not expect to instantly have a Lassie on their hands. Collies are a very sensitive and stubborn breed. They are easy to train but it still takes a patient, creative, and a well-read owner to help create the boundaries (& a few tricks) that keep both dog & owner happy.
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2