support animal protection laws in Spain

Elisa

Let's run!!

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '07 3:00am PST 
Hello!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the problem of animal welfare in Spain. Legislation changes from region to region and is often poorly enforced. Animal welfare groups are trying to press the government to enact a nation-wide animal protection law, that would smooth differences and
hopefully improve the lot of many animals.
Many recent cases have shown how widespread the problem is. Well-known cases range from neglect (the dog left out in a tiny balcony all day long in a hot summer) to actual cruelty (the man who severely beat a dog in Galicia or the woman who threw her dog from her apartment window).
Also very widespread is the mistreatment inflicted on many hunting dogs, like galgos (spanish greyhounds) and podencos (Ibizan/Canary/Andalusian hounds). These are bred in quantities, then those who won't hunt "right" are simply abandoned or killed. Greyhounds area abandoned or worse for the "crime" of cutting corners when pursuing hares. Often they are tortured or killed, or left to die, in very cruel ways. The now infamous hanging of galgos is a case of this.

Various animal welfare associations have set-up a petition to the Spanish government for a more comprehensive, nation-wide law. It can be found at:
http://firmas.amnistianimalmadrid.org/ley/

Even if your live in another country your opinion still counts, as Spain has a lot of tourism - so international opinion definitely matters!
The petition is in Spanish but it's easy to get through. The fields are: name, last name(s), passport number, country and e-mail.

I'd be very grateful if you could give this a thought, sign the petition and pass it on to anyone who you think may be interested. If you have any doubts or would like more info about anything please let me know and I'll do my best smile

Thank you!

Elisa & Marianne