Cats and Catahoulas

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mango

It was worth a- try!

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '07 1:41pm PST 
I see some of you have pics with your houla and a cat. How is this possible???? We have a persian kitty and Mango and Peepers do NOT get along. We have to keep them separated at all times.

Any tips or suggestions?

Mango has jumped the fence to chase after peepers and ends up tearing through our neighbors yards. he gets intense tunnel vision when chasing her and does the whole "I can't hear you!!" thing when I try and get him to stop. I'm scared to leave them alone together because Mango's prey drive is very strong and I don't want her getting hurt. Plus, Peepers is my husband and 15 year old step daughters cat so if Mango did anything, well...i'd be in deep trouble!!!
Lola

Needs an- attitude- adjusment

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '07 9:53am PST 
It may be more difficult if they are both full grown, Lola has a big prey drive but she very quickly learned not to chase the cat. We got Betty (or kitty) when she was very small. At some times I even had to lay across Lola to keep her from chasing after her. We started by keeping the kitty in the crate and letting Lola sniff her. Then we crated Lola and putthe kitty's crate in front of her. They got to see each other and smell each other and be safe at the same time.

We have a spare bedroom and let the cat take overthat room. Lola could smell her in there, but we introduced them very slowly. We would leash the dog and hold her back, so she could get close to her but not too close. It took a long time to get them used to each others presence. At times I thought we would have to get rid of the cat (she came after Lola) and I was desperate! YOU have to also be calm and assertive towards the situation. Because if you are tense then they BOTH pick up on it
Good luck!
Louie

Lickers to all- dogs big and- small!

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '07 7:41pm PST 
We have a problem with Louie and our cat as well. The cat is ferral, so she will scratch and attck him, but yet he still bothers her. He will stand near her and bark at her, or stick his nose so far up her butt he lifts her off the floor. If we let him, he would stare at her for hours until she is too scared to move. Louie was found wandering around in some woods in a rural area far away from us, so we do not have any idea what his life was like before we adopted him. We tried spraying him with a water gun, shaking a can of change, ect. Luckily our other dog Kendra protects the cat and will snap at Louie if he gets too agressive with the cat. Is this something that a lot of catahoulas have problems with, he is our first one. Thanks!

Lady

BELLY RUBS!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '07 8:51am PST 
I'd be interested in tips too.... Mom doesn't let the kitties around the us or it's actually she doesn't allow US around the kitties. frown I just want to chase them and play, they run away from me and make this weird sound -- so they MUST want me to chase them? Mom always gets real mad when this happens, I don't know why?

Lady
Tellie

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 11:10am PST 
Tellie is only for months old, but we are having cat issues here, too. My grown house cat, Velvet, hates Tellie and terrorizes her. Velvet has two kittens, so she's always slapping at Tellie. Tellie loves the kittens, though, and wants to play with them.

We have an outside stray cat that is at our house almost daily. The stray is a huge male and is just the biggest sweetheart. Tellie goes crazy when she sees him. I guess she thinks she's protecting the house, but she chases the cat away every time she sees him.
CoCo

CHOCOATE CHIP- COOKIE!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '07 11:25am PST 
I've been in my forever home for about a month and a half, and we have a kitty. Mommy let's me sniff the kitty, and I know he belongs here too, so I'm not too bad. Mommy does not trust me alone with the kitty though. I have a very high prey drive, and pulled Mommy down on the wet leaves chasing a rabbit!!! She didn't realize I was so strong. CoCo.
Shazz

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 8:30pm PST 
I know better than to try to sneak up on our kitties! They have sharp claws and will scratch my nose. I know that I can be gentle and sniff them and they will not mind. We all just get along! (5 pups: 3 Catahoulas+ 3 Kats!)
Shazz

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '08 8:31pm PST 
I know better than to try to sneak up on our kitties! They have sharp claws and will scratch my nose. I know that I can be gentle and sniff them and they will not mind. We all just get along! (5 pups: 3 Catahoulas+ 3 Kats!)
Bogie

Big Head

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '08 8:59am PST 
My Dad came home one night and said a word that rhymes with CATS and I went nuts! I ran to the door to be let out because I thought we were being invaded.
Lady

BELLY RUBS!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '08 12:24pm PST 
I wish mom had pictures of my nose. I used to get scratched up pretty bad trying to play with the kitties. I would corner them and they would sock me in the nose with claws out! How dare they!?confused
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2