"C" strength homeopathics

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 27, '07 11:48pm PST 
So what do y'all think of the "C" strength homeopathics? (read OTC) Have any of you used these yourself or on your dogs with good results? My husband just really f**ked up his hand, and my formerly disbeliever now has total belief in Arnica! 5X30C pellets 3-4 times a day. It worked. Well. Really well.

I am thinking of basically self-medicating Meridian with Thuja in the 30C strength, or the 6C strength to start. Without an actual homeopathic practitioner I'm not sure I have access to, umm, more potent preparations (X). After a conversation with a co-worker I guess there is a homeopathic vet practitioner here, but, honestly, after Storm's recent $3000 surgery we're kinda tapped. If I have reason to believe that a "C" prep might help her should I do it? I'm trying to target a sort of major-ish condition that I'm gonna have to start with some pretty "minor" preps -- the whole reversing of a condition slowly. I don't know if "C"s are even worth bothering with, though.

Thoughts? Guidance? Experiences?
Thanks.
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Fri Mar 2, '07 11:57pm PST 
C potencies work at a "deeper" level than X potencies. The general rule is that the higher the letter part of the potency is, the deeper it works. So X would be for superficial symptoms, then C, M, and finally LM (or Q).

In general, X and C are for acute symptoms, or for seeing how a chronic problem would react to a specific remedy. Both X and C are over-the-counter (at least, they are here!).

I think the reason you said that X was more potent than C is because there is more of the original substance in X remedies (it isn't diluted as much). But that doesn't mean it's the right choice for chronic or difficult cases. Actually, LM is the best choice for very deep-set chronic problems, because it works the deepest. That said, aggravations can occur if too high a potency is used (either the letter part or the number: 200C ones are notorious for causing aggravations). So, LM is really the most "potent" in terms of the most powerful/energetic. Though it's also quite mild, which is why it works great for chronic cases.

Actually, I'm going to ask on the Yahoo! CHP list to see if anyone has a link to a site that explains potencies well. I have the information in a lot of different places and it's kind of hard to get good information out of all of the resources.

Can I ask why you're going to give Thuja? Are you going to try to use it to treat vaccinosis symptoms? I ask because this doesn't usually work. Thuja has a specific symptom picture, just like every other remedy, and the symptom picture of the patient must be present in the symptom picture of that remedy. Actually, Thuja worked very well in treating symptoms of smallpox vaccinosis in humans, which is why many people mistakenly believe it works for all vaccinosis symptoms. But smallpox has a very specific symptom picture. Homeopathy will not have consistent results if you just apply remedy X for condition Y.

Treating chronic disease by yourself is not easy, and I personally wouldn't recommend doing it. It is possible that you will aggravate current symptoms or even create new ones. Chronic disease is a very tricky thing to treat, and I personally would leave it to the abilities of a very experienced and good classical homeopath. If you can't afford it now, you will probably be better off just not giving any remedies until you can afford treatment.

You may be interested in taking Magda Aguila's Introduction to Homeopathy online course (done via email). I am not a huge fan of her personally, but she is a very experienced homeopath (she is not a DVM or an MD, just so you know) and has very informative courses (I've taken the Intro to Homeopathy and First Aid courses, and plan to take her Introduction to Repertorization course when it's next offered). The next session of the Intro to Homeopathy course starts on March 11, lasts 6 weeks, and it costs $50 for the whole thing. Let me know if you're interested and I'll pmail you the specific info.

I'll try to get some more info for you on the different potencies. smile
Meridian

Barked: Sat Mar 3, '07 1:31am PST 
Hi Fudge! Just wanted to say thanx for taking the time to respond to my post like this! I gotta go to bed now, but will be reading this carefully soon and probably getting back to you. (You done it now! laugh out loud )

Meridian

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '07 12:03pm PST 
They say better late than never, right? It's been a month and a half, but I thought I'd post a response -- finally!!!

So, yeah. I now agree the self medicating is a bad idea. I came across this book that discussed homeopathy in what I thought at the time was a pretty refreshing way, and perhaps not as far off from the concepts behind classical homeopathy as many other presentations where combo preparations and funky dosing is going on. As with so many other things, it presented info that is a lot different than what I have gathered since, which is mostly from some time invested in searching the archives and other sources from the Yahoo Classical Homeopathy Pets group.

So, it has come time to find a practitioner to work with. Looks like you, Fudge, have chosen Dr. Jeff, and Summer's working with Magda. I figure I'll approach them both about working with me, as well as Larry Bernstein and see what happens! Of course I'll keep you all posted as you what's going on!
Fudge

How can I be- this cute?

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '07 8:59pm PST 
Awesome! Definitely keep us posted! smile