Bone problem

Kahirah, Ch.

What can I get- into now?

Barked: Thu Apr 24, '14 8:24am PST 
I have a new Basenji puppy that has her front ankle starting to turn outward. The vet didn't really know for sure what the problem was (x-rays showed a touch of swelling in one leg. She said maybe Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy but from what I read the symptoms is for large breeds and have lots of other problem with it that she doesn't have. My breeder says to put her on Sure Grow 100 and that might help. Has anyone heard of this problem in growing Basenji puppies?
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 4:41pm PST 
I haven't but will check around.
Denny- Basenji

I dream of- peanut butter...

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 5:57pm PST 
Kahirah! Sweet girlie, I don't know much about bones (other than the ones I chew on), but you might contact some of the people at BCOA (Basenji Club of America). They have a lot of people who know about Basenji health.

Are you a lure-courser or running a lot? Did you ask the vet if that might have anything to do with it?

Zuni Breeze- CGC SGRC JOR- RATI

born to run

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 6:51pm PST 
I haven't ever heard of any bone problems like that in basenjis..but sometimes weird things just happen. How much is it turning out? I would listen to your breeder and do what he/she says for the time being..

Edited by author Tue Apr 29, '14 6:54pm PST

Kahirah, Ch.

What can I get- into now?

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '14 2:00pm PST 
Thanks everyone, My puppy is only 4 months old so no coursing yet..lol I will check out the Basenji club. She had Xrays last month but the vet wasn't sure exactly what the problem was, just kind of guessing. She wants to get new Xrays in a couple of weeks to see if there is any change. I put her on the supplement "Sure Grow 100" that my breeder recommended so will see.

Edited by author Wed Apr 30, '14 2:02pm PST

Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Thu May 1, '14 9:48pm PST 
Keep us posted. I hope the supplements help. I sent you a pee mail here on Dogster letting u know about our Facebook group. Are you on Facebook?
Bakari- Prince of- Tides

Sun's up, let's- play!

Barked: Thu May 1, '14 10:04pm PST 
You can have the x-rays reviewed by a board certified radiologist...they have seen most everything and should be able to help you figure out what is going on