Close X

FUR OF THE MONTH FOR MARCH 2012 - ROMEO BEAU !!!!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
MerryBelle- Noelle Pie- SSW

GEORGIE'S- WIFE..FOREVER MY- COWBOY !!!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 9:17am PST 
*MERRY is waiting in the Doghouse for the latest Fur of the Month to arrive. She hears a knock on the door and answers it*

ROMEO BEAU!Welcome !!! Congratulations on being the Doghouse's Fur of the Month for March! We are so happy to have you a member of the group and to have you come play! You are such a friendly and fun pup and we love you bunches!! Come in and sit down and get comfy. I have some questions to ask so we can all learn more about you!

*Merry and ROMEO get settled on the sofa*

I was reading up on your breed, the Havenese. It is the National Dog of Cuba. How did your mom decide upon the breed? How did she come to pick YOU??

Mom had a Yorkie, Magoo, who passed last summer, before his 18th birthday. As much as she wanted another Yorkie, she did not feel right about it. So she decided what was best for her would be a dog who looked completely different from a black and tan Yorkie. She had contacted rescues, breeders, you name it, looking for Brussels Griffons and Coton de Tulears originally. But most of them could not be bothered calling her back or did not want to waste their precious time talking to her on the phone or via email. They just wanted her to show up, without knowing the facts first. She knew she wanted a little dog, one who did not shed, and with as few health issues as possible, along with longevity. While she was looking at Coton de Tulears, Havanese kept coming up in searches and she decided to look into them. She joined all the forums she could find out there and contacted several breeders in the area. One of them said he did not have any at that time, but he referred her to another breeder and she answered right away. They emailed back and forth for about a month and she was very thorough and took the time to answer all of Mom's questions. Originally, she wanted Mom to take a 2 year old girl, but she saw a slideshow of ME and asked if I was available. The breeder hesitated because she said I had to go to the "right" home, no other pets, small children, and I was one who required a lot of attention. I was also the runt of the litter and she would have kept me unless the perfect one came along for me.

What type of home and community do you live in?

We live in what Mom refers to as "the woods." We have a few acres and all sorts of wildlife, which is why I am always kept on a tight leash. It is a very rural area and we know all of our neighbors. We live in a ranch style home, which is good for Mom, so she does not have to scramble up and down stairs every time I get into trouble.

Who do you share your life with?

It is just Mom and me, although she thought I might like her to find me a little mini poodle named Juliet. I had one experience with a female poodle and had a great time. But it is the trainer's dog and she would not give her up. Mom's parents live close by, so they see us often and the neighbors always come over to see me, too.

How did you get your name?

Mom originally was going to get a Brussels Griffon and name him Beauregard. But when she saw pictures of me, she said I look like a little lover, so I have to be a Romeo. She just shortened Beauregard for my middle name.

You wear a Puppy Star Medal proudly around your neck! Tell us about this accomplishment and the path you took to get it.

You have no idea how hard it was to get that medal around my neck because I kept trying to eat it! We took a regular and an advanced Puppy class, 12 long weeks, I might add. Mom said it was harder for her than all of graduate school. The trainer wanted us to take the Puppy Stars test, which is the test puppies can take before going on for their Canine Good Citizen test. Mommy said no way are we talking the Puppy Stars test because we will never pass. We had one other lady in class, with a Papillon, she agreed to take it if we did and if we failed, no one would ever know. So we took it, I shocked Mommy and passed and Mommy promised, no more training for me, since I hate it and refuse to listen, anyway. She sort of tried clicker training at home with me, but I kept finding and stealing the clicker and clicking it for treats! I got her trained!

You are not yet one but have this "reputation" maybe you need to explain your nicknames! White Lightning, Lil' Devil Dog, and Mischief!!

Mom gave me those names the first day she got me. I get into everything that does not belong to me and I run like Lightning and all you see is a flash of white doing zoomies all over the house.

Tell us about this game you play: Shred, Steal and Hoard! BOL!

The Havanese is part of the master Bichon family and apparently both have a tendency to shred. I love to steal and shred cardboard, bubble wrap, toilet paper, tissue paper, newspaper...... sometimes, if it is something not shreddable, I will steal it and hoard it in my crate or play pen. I figure, Mommy will never look there, because I only go in them to stash my loot.

Is this why you prefer items that are not normally toys over regular dog toys?

I have every toy, treat, bone, chew, and puzzle imaginable. But it is more fun stealing things that do not belong to me and making Mommy chase after me. Then I bribe her and give it back if I get a good treat. I already know how to work the system. She even gives me cardboard and bubble wrap of my own.

What type of care does your coat entail? Is it clipped? Does your mom take you to the groomers?

When Mommy first got me, she could not even find my eyes. I was long and shaggy, and the breed standard is rather disheveled looking. The breeder asked Mommy if she wanted her to trim up my face and she said DEFINITELY. We have a groomer come here every 6 weeks. Mom used her for her Yorkie, and now for me. So the groomer comes in her big grooming van and has to cut the hair on the inside of my ears, trim all the nails, cut and bathe me. Mom keeps me short, in a puppy cut, since I am not a show dog and ticks are prevalent around here. So while I spend an hour in the grooming van, Mom does her own zoomies around the house, getting things done that she usually cannot with me in it.

Can you elaborate on your pet peeves:

1-You do not like doggies smaller than you! Any idea why? How do you get along with bigger pups? Are you social with other dogs?

We had two rounds of training classes and we had a little female Papillon in both. She jumped on me because she is used to playing rough, and I growled at her. The trainer corrected ME for that, and Mommy was very upset because she did not think that a growl was a bad thing. It was a warning, not a bite. But anytime we had to do puppy socialization in class after that, the lady with the Papillon, who later became a friend of Mom's, and my Mom, refused to let us down together because I am twice her size and both were afraid of an incident. Then I was asked to be a model in a dog show for a rescue organization. The lady brought her male Papillon and all he did was snarl at me the whole time. So the little dogs I have encountered like to jump all over me or snarl. That is why I do better with bigger, calmer dogs. With the trainer's Mini Poodle, though, we had a great time doing zoomies all around the training center the day of the Christmas party. The trainer was afraid to let us meet because she said her own dog is not trained well and she hates other dogs. Mom said, ,"Romeo is the same way." Yet we hit it off. But the breeder did not want me to go into a home with other pets because she knew I was smaller than the others she had and how I still demand all the attention.

2-You have to be with your Mommy at all times. What do you do to make sure you remain a "velcro-dog" (which is a description for pups with a strong attachment to their owners)

Mommy had a "semi-famous" trainer come here after she had me for a month to work on separation anxiety. She spent two hours with us and assured Mom, I would be fine and told her she must leave the house. So a few days later, she put me in my play pen and very reluctantly, went food shopping. She was back in 45 minutes, listened at the door and heard nothing. She was so happy, thinking everyone was right. I must have calmed down and gone to sleep. Mommy walks into the house from the garage and nearly had a heart attack. Right there at her feet was little old ME! She thinks I somehow lifted up the play pen and crawled under, rather than jumping up and out. She won't use wire crates or pens because she knows I will chew and claw and claw and wind up with a serious injury. I follow her ALL over the house and when I do not, then she knows I am getting into trouble. She has been working on leaving me for short spurts. The first time she went outside on the deck, she came in and there I was, standing on the table! She goes to get the mail and she can hear the screeching from the road. So every time she has to leave, my Granny comes over to watch me.

Please describe your pawsonality.

I am playful and loving. I am also destructive, but when I destroy something new, I only do it because I think Mom will be proud of me. I know I am proud of myself, so I expect her to be, too. It does not always work out that way, of course. But I love to give kisses and love to give and receive lots of affection. I have destroyed A LOT of Mom's stuff. Yet she still loves me no matter what I do. I get away with soooo much here.

What is your most endearling quality?

I do a little dance when I want attention. I stand on my hind legs and shake my two front paws and make a little growling type sound. Everyone laughs when I do it. When I was bored with training, I would do that right in the class. The trainer would laugh every time, and said that means Romeo is bored and wants us to wrap up the class. BOL

What is your worst habit?

Hmmmm.... not sure where to even begin here, there are just so many! Mommy has been trying in vain to work on my "Stays." I will "Sit," but when someone comes to the door, if she does not pick me up first to take me with her, I will sneak past her and bolt. I have done it a few times already. So when I want to escape, nothing can stop me and Mommy has to run fast to catch me. I pretend not to hear her when she calls me back to her. And of course I get into things that do not belong to me and have to be chased and bribed to give them back. Other than these minor things, I am a good boy.

Do you have free reign of your house or is anyplace off limits?

Mom has her business inventory closed off in two bedrooms. Sometimes she closes the bathrooms because I go in there to steal toilet paper. But the rest of the house is mine and even in the same room, I get into trouble right in front of her.

Are you a good watchdog? Do you bark a lot?

Mom has been trying to teach me to bark! All I do so far is growl and screech. She wants me to bark in the worst way! And I hear and see everything!

Do you like to go for walks? What about car rides? Where are some places that you like to go?

I love long walks because I enjoy exploring the neighborhood and marking my territory along the way. Car rides, we are working on that. I was fine, but when we did the second set of classes, I dreaded it so much, I would get car sick. Now I get sick all the time, thinking I am going back to class, even though we go on short rides to nice places, like a doggie barkery. So because of the car sickness issue, we do not go to many places yet, still working on short little drives to get me used to the car again.

What is your daily routine?

We get up, take a long walk around the neighborhood, where I do my business and sniff all over the place. Then we get back and Mom makes her coffee, which I sneak sips of, and my breakfast. I usually hold out for better food and treats, so the food can sit for awhile and sometimes it winds up getting thrown out. I like to chase a ball around while Mommy checks her email. And then when she packs up boxes, I like to help. I am the self-appointed shipping director and I am in charge of the packing materials, boxes, bubble wrap. Mom has to chase me around the house to retrieve what I stole and then I get rewarded with treats. Great exercise for the Mama! Sometimes I take a little nap in between, but I usually search the house for things to shred, like toilet paper, boxes, bubble wrap..... We wind up taking several walks a day, to keep me occupied and for the exercise and air. We play fetch inside, except I will retrieve what she throws, then take off with it. She has to chase me and usually rewards me with treats. So this is a win-win situation for me again. Sometimes I do zoomies around the house a few times a day, which I love to do. I take very brief naps during the day, and every day, I try to get more and more creative by getting into things I never have before. It keeps Mommy on her toes. Depending on how much food I had the night before, will determine how much I eat during the next day and at night. Food is always there for me and when I get really picky, I wind up getting hand fed. I know, I can be such a brat.

How did your mom find Dogster?

Mom saw an ad for Dogster on another site a few years ago. So she signed up her Yorkie and made some friends and became an Admin. with him in a few groups. Then when I came along, she did not tell anyone until she created the profile a day later. She was afraid to jinx it because she was not 100 percent sure she was coming home with me and after all the prior disasters she had in finding the right one for her.

What do you like to do best on Dogster?

I like going to the Best Lil' Doghouse and playing games and talking to my fur-iends. I have made so many in my short time here, too! Mom sometimes takes the computer away from me so she can research and see if others have the same issues as me and what to do about them. But she is so bad with enforcing anything when it comes to me. She tried putting me in the crate a few times when I was really bad and would not calm down, but she could not handle the screeching. She even went outside a few times and still heard it. It breaks her heart, so this is why I get away with so much.

Have you met any Dogster pals in the fur?

I have talked to some on Skype with Mom, and growled at a few on the phone, but so far, have not met any. Mom wants to get me more socialized around here first. She did not get me until I was six months old, so we still have a lot of things to do.

Do you have any final words or thoughts?

I cannot believe you picked little old ME for your Dog of the Month. I am so honored and thrilled that anyone would want to know about me. This is such an honor for Mom and me. I love the Doghouse and playing games every day and all the good fur-iends I have made here. I have so much fun here playing and getting to know all of you.

Oh, one final word ..... I am a year old now and I think it is time for me to get myself a girlfriend. I have lots of "big sisters" here who look out for me and I love them all dearly. But I am hoping this makes me a little more attractive to the single ladies, wanting to date a "celebrity dog" like me. So, available girl doggies, I am taking applications for my perfect little gal pal. You just have to be able to keep up with me and love getting into trouble!

Thank you again, Miss Merry! I hope I can make all of you proud!!!

XOXOXO

Romeo

You have made us proud Romeo! Thank you again for being our Fur of the Month! Im sure you will have the girl pups lining up at your door after learning all about you!!!

ROMEO BEAU FUR OF THE MONTH FOR MARCH 2012

*Merry pins a RIBBON on him and hands him a gift, Delicious Dog Treats

applausecheerapplausecheerhappy dancehughappy danceapplausecheerapplause
♥Lola- ♥

Loves belly rubs

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 9:22am PST 
Congrats Romeo Beau fur Fur of the month of Marchcheercheercheercheercheercheercheerflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers Pawsome interview with Merry Romeoway to goway to goway to goway to goway to goway to gosnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy
Shaki

Sunbeam- Maven

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 9:58am PST 
Congratulations Romeo Beau, you Handsome Fellow!!!
You are Truly Pawsome!!!
applausedancingcheerhappy dancepartyhappy dancecheerdancingapplause

Darby

I love to- FRAP

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:46am PST 
cheer happy dance cheer Congratulations Romeo Beau! cheer happy dance cheer

I enjoyed reading all about you! I'm sure you'll have the ladies lining up for you! wink
Bonzer

I'm a good boy!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 10:58am PST 
Congratulations Romeo Beau! applauseapplauseapplause
♥- George- P.P.Pie- *SHM*

MERRYBELLE'S- HUSBAND!! SHE IS- MINE!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 11:27am PST 
partypartyapplauseapplausepartyCONGRATULATIONS ROMEO BEAU!!partyapplauseapplausepartyparty

What a pawsome choice for Fur of the Month!way to gopartyparty Wonderful interview, it was fun finding out all about you!way to gobig hug Thank you for doing us the honor of being our FUR OF THE MONTH FOR MARCH!partyparty

Merry as always the best there is.kissingkissing Thank you for all the hard work you put into the interviews.

flowersflowerscloud 9kissingkissing
Bailey NWD

Bailey- Blinkerson- Eskiwowow Raiman

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 11:59am PST 
Congratulations Romeo Beau! You are just adorable! Great interview also! I really enjoyed hearing about your breed and all about your life.
☯ Romeo- Beau ☯

Bred to SHRED!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 12:55pm PST 
Thank you so very much, everyone! You have no idea just how honored and thrilled I am to be chosen as Fur of the Month, a day before my birthday, no less! Let this be a lesson to everyone, too. Not only good doggies get rewarded, but "Devil Dogs" like me do, too. So do not let that break your "bad dog" spirit. laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

When Mommy told me I was selected, I was just so ecstatic, that I did my little Happy Dance just for YOU! You just have no idea how much I love being a part of this very special group and all of the good fur-iends I have made. Special thanks to Miss Merry for her patience in conducting my interview and Sir George for the wonderful pictures you made up for me. I am so glad that you two found each other.

Thank you again, all my beautiful fur-iends. I feel like I just accepted an Oscar! happy dancehappy dancehappy dancehappy dance

XOXOXO

Romeo

Happy Dance for Being Doghouse Fur of the Month!!!!
Lady Chadee- Bear

I'm mommy's- Cinco de Mayo- Pom!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 1:51pm PST 
What an adorable happy dance!!! Congratulations Romeo Beau!! What a great interview!! I love learning new things about the furs around The Doghouse! Thanks Merry for all of your hard work too!! Another awesome job!! applause
Jazzi- Danz'r,- CGC,Therapy- D

FUR-DANZ'R

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 4:21pm PST 
cheercheerKongrats my Buddy RBcheerhi5
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3