Health Problems of Pugs

Chinabell

dancing in the- sunshine

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 7:53pm PST 
Does anyone have pugs with enlarged hearts? Mommy just found out I have one and she is really worried about me. Any other problems I need to know about pugs?
Furby

I'm- cute

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 4:30am PST 
My Mom doesn't know anything about enlarged hearts. Hopefully someone on Pug Pals does. Have you googled it?
♥- Lolita- ♥

Don\'t clean- your house, I\'m- a pug vacc

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 6:53am PST 
What's enlarge hearts? Can you explain more about it, so maybe we can help you with more information.
Thanks.

Sassy

Gotta love me!

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 10:35am PST 
Chinabell, did you vet not give you any indication on what that means for you? I did some reading after seeing your question and it seems like there are many different outcomes. Please keep us posted on what you find out. I'm also going to consult my Pug health book at home and see if it says anything about it.
Crossing my paws for you that it is nothing serious.
♥- Lolita- ♥

Don\'t clean- your house, I\'m- a pug vacc

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 1:23pm PST 
A dog with an enlarged heart condition is the most common cause of heart failure in large dogs. In a dog enlarged heart condition, a dog’s heart enlarges causing it to have trouble pumping blood and the way it moves calcium ions. With a decline in the ability to move calcium, the heart becomes thinner and flabby. Over a few months, the thinning causes the heart to become enlarged (dilated) and the timing of the heart changes for the worse, causing the dog to start showing symptoms. When the condition worsens, it results in heart failure and sadly after 1 to 2 years, the death of your dog.
The cause of the disease is not known but is associated with parvovirus, taurine deficiencies and adriamycin. The disease tends to affect male, middle age, large breeds of dogs and is most often seen in Doberman Pinschers, Saint Bernards, Cocker Spaniels, Great Danes, German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers. It is not common in small dogs.

This is what I could find on Google. It seems like it's not too common on small dogs. You should definetly go to the vet and have your baby checked up. I hope it's nothing serious.
Minnie

Where's the- rabbit?

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 5:39am PST 
Chinabell,
I am sorry to hear you have this condition. I don't know too much about it either, but I am sure you mommy and dr. will take good care of you. Welcome to Pug Pals, wave