Help with the Eyes

Buddy

Barked: Mon Jul 5, '10 7:33pm PST 
My little guy is a Boston Terrier/Bulldog mix. A few months ago (March 2010) he had an extremely red eye which I knew was infected (took him to vet and was prescribed NEO/POLY/BAC OPTHAMALIC OINTMENT. Worked well. He has this again and luckily I still have 1/2 tube left. I called my vet for a refill of this medicine (which he refused because he is a money hungry vet). I was told that this could be recurring in my boy because of the protrusion of the eyeballs. My question to anyone who may know is: Is there a human equivalent of this topical medication for the eyes? Someone had told me there was but I am pulling a total blank on what it was called. Sorry to make this so long, but I have only had Great Danes for the past 20 years & am learning very slowly about the Boston Terrier breed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! BUDDY'S MOM
giselle fifi

I am the- Princess of- Parklane!!!!

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 5:44am PST 
my goodness mommy thinks you are so handsome.There is Bacitracin opthalmic used in human eyes and on cuts and abrasions close to the eyes.PLEASE do not confuse it with Bcitracin or neomyocin ointment used on cuts because it could scratch the cornea and cause severe eye damage it has to be an Opthalmic ointment to be safe for use around the eyes.Did you look at the Foster and Smith catalogue you can view it online and they have eye ointments and they will send you catalogues.mom has ordered from them for years and they are very reputable/feel better soon and keep us posted,Just please put nothing in his eyes that is not opthalmic.get well puppy kisses Giselle Fifipuppy
Piloux

Her motto is

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 8:33am PST 
And we are so glad that Giselle Fifi's mom is so smart, because we would have been no help at all. I hope his eye gets better. You could ask at the local pet store. Or try the on-line vet here. I think there is one.

Buddy

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 9:47am PST 
Thank you for the info. I actually did find the product in the Foster & Smith catalogue, EXCEPT it is on backorder till October. But thank you for the reply. It is called Terramycin ointment. Being so cautious with my dogs, I would never put anything in/on them that would harm them in any way. Have a Good Day! Buddy's MOM
Chaddy

Born to Love- Diamond

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 7:11pm PST 
Hey to Buddy you are one handsome fella, nice to meet you. Hope your eye gets better
Piloux

Her motto is

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 8:07pm PST 
I think eveyone's mom is smart --- cept mine. Chaddy's mom, Giselle Fifi's, and Buddy's. If you look at the thread, you can see that my mom is NO HELP AT ALL!!!!
giselle fifi

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 8:49pm PST 
we are so sorry they are out of the medicine.when sweet edgrr was alive at times he had eye infections and I know how costly it is,The vet did say we could put liquid tears that were just normal saline in his eyes to cleanse them and we bought special eye cleaning pads and eye vitamins from Foster and smith our vet said were safe to use,please keep us posted and feel better soon.we know your mommy takes awesome care of you. puppy kisses Giselle Fifi
giselle fifi

Barked: Wed Jul 7, '10 6:22am PST 
mom is sorry if she sounded pushy about the Bacitracin being opthalmic,Mom wrote the note after working 12 hour nights at the county hospital and is not always the best note writer.The trauma and plastic doctors are fanatic about only using opthalmic bacitracin in facial cuts and wounds on patients many accidentally rub it in their eyes and accidentally abrase their cornea.when Norton puggie angel was alive he never had eye issues but Edgrrrrr would and mom always took him to the vet.When Dad was layed off mom was so happy to see Foster and Smith had eye treatments and our vet okayed mom buying the eye cleaning pads lubricant ointment and antibiotic and vitamins from them,He told mom to clean Edgrrrrs eyes with human liquid tears first but not the kind that removes redness=Family Dollar has the generic brand for a dollar.Mom still has some of sweet Edgrrrrrs eye pads and vitamins.She was crying the other day when she was looking for something for me in our doggie suitcase and found edgrrrrs coat and hat he wore to santa last year,she misses him so much.Mom knows all her Pawsatively Bostylicious pals give their furbabies the best of care.Mom says night night she is going to sleep now we just got home from the park and mom worked 12 hour nightshift last night and I send every one puppy kisses