Training Guide

Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 9:13pm PST 
This thread is for dog training. If you're trying to train your dog and need some help, then post here and we will help you.

Just a few questions before you start posting!

What is your favorite trick?

What tricks/commands do you know?

What commands/tricks are you having trouble learning?

Do you have any training tips you would like to share with us?

What commands/tricks are you wanting to learn how to do?

Edited by author Wed Jun 30, '10 9:15pm PST

Muffy Mouse

Queen of all I- survey!!

Barked: Fri Jul 2, '10 12:15pm PST 
What is your favorite trick? Saying I wuv woo. Mom loves that!

What tricks/commands do you know? Quiet! Don't bark! Sit up.

What commands/tricks are you having trouble learning? Come here.

Do you have any training tips you would like to share with us? Um, no.

What commands/tricks are you wanting to learn how to do? Mom would like me to come when called, or come out from under the sofa so she doesn't have to get down there and try to pyll me out!
Thunder

Thun Thun

Barked: Fri Jul 2, '10 1:32pm PST 
What is your favorite trick? I give mom kisses on command

What tricks/commands do you know? I am really good at the "Leave It" command and the "Watch" command. When walking I sit at every corner.

What commands/tricks are you having trouble learning? I have no recall ability.

Do you have any training tips you would like to share with us? Keep training sessions short. And keep lots of treats on hand

What commands/tricks are you wanting to learn how to do? Mom would like to teach me lots of things but coming when called is the most important.

Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jul 2, '10 6:58pm PST 
Thunder & Muffy Mouse, thank you so much for joining this group. I will now tell you how to train your dog's to come when called.

1. Grab the clicker, some treats, and your pooch.

2. Sit on the floor and try to coax your dog over to you. When she comes, click and treat. (Don't try to coax your dog with treats. Hide the treats until she's completed each task - then click and treat.)

3. Get up, move and try again. Click and treat. Repeat several times.

4. Next, call the dog by her name when she is in another room. Try this at unexpected times during the day. Always click and treat when your dog responds. If she doesn't respond, don't give her a second chance. Let your dog see you put away the clicker and treats.

5. Next, try using helpers sitting in different areas of a room. Have your helpers call your dog's name one at a time. When she reasches the helper, you click and the helper treats. This activity can be a lot of fun for children.

6. Practive callling your dog back and forth between two people outdoors. If your dog loves to bolt, put her on a long leash for safety while you click and treat.

7. If your dog has been ignoring "come" for years, a reliable recall may take weeks to learn. For a puppy, it might just take a couple of days. Be patient and stay calm. If you find that your dog is not responding at all - try ignoring him. If that fails, ut away your clicker and treats. He'll get the message that the fun is over.

8. To maintain the behavior over time, you don't always need to click and treats. Sometimes if you call to your dog and he responds - letting him off the leash to chase squirrels would be a great reward!

When my dog's come back in, I always give them a treat. You can also shake the treat bag to get your dog back inside, and as soon as they hear the treat bag shake, they'll come right up.
Thunder

Thun Thun

Barked: Sat Jul 3, '10 2:08pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. We will try!
Noel

Genuine Muttador

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 7:50pm PST 
Pawsome advice there Howard. Mom didn't have a clicker when she taught me to "Come." she started when I was about 5 weeks old. She would step backward real fast and say, "Pup pup pup pup pup." Then when I got older she would say my name instead of "pup." Then she would give me lots of attention when I came to her. Now I come when I am called no matter what. Just last week I was in the middle of chasing a cat down the driveway, as soon as mom said "Noel" I turned around and came back.

I forgot to copy those questions so I will answer them in the next post. way to go
Noel

Genuine Muttador

Barked: Sun Oct 24, '10 7:56pm PST 
What is your favorite trick?
*My favorite trick is "Paw"

What tricks/commands do you know?
*I know sit, lay down, stay, come, speak, quiet, wait, hold it, paw, up, down, and find it.

What commands/tricks are you having trouble learning?
*I am having trouble learning "Jump"

Do you have any training tips you would like to share with us?
*Every opportunity is a training opportunity. Always keep treats handy. Patience is key. And never give up.

What commands/tricks are you wanting to learn how to do?
*I would like to learn how to weave.