Plott eats?

Asuka

Asuka Eva Unit 2

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '09 9:24pm PST 
Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, Asuka has become a bit of a finicky eater in the last week. I took to her to the vet for a check up and she came back with a clean bill of health. The only thing about her eating that I have changed is the bowls. When I first got her I used to mix 1/3 of a can of wet into her morning food and her night food to get her to start eating, since I was informed that she was usually bullied and normally had little to eat at the shelter (awesome right??). I eventually weened her off that and she was chugging along chowing about 3 1/2 cups a day.
Every so often I will give her treats or a chew bone or a rawhide that she eagerly takes. The Vet says she is healthy, but Im still worried.

Anyone have any feeding suggestions? What kind of kibble are you feeding your Plotts?

Anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Roxy

The Couch Hog

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '09 7:25am PST 
My girls are very energetic so I feed Diamond Extreme Athlete. Roxy is very hard to keep weight on and Casey is no better. Dogs know when they're hungry and lots of times the girls don't finish what it put in front of them. I give my girls their daily ration in the morning and they are "free fed" during the day.
Marble

Barked: Wed Mar 4, '09 6:54pm PST 
My people feed me 'round the clock! Actually, they've always found it works best in our home to keep a large "communal" food bowl in the kitchen that's always refilled whenever emptied, right along with the water bowl. With 2 or 3 dogs living here at any given time, we learn to share (most of the time!) or wait our turn. A lot of people say this wouldn't work for them, but my people have been doing it for over 20 years! We puppies learn to regulate our intake, and don't overeat because we know it's always there whenever we want a nibble. We develop our own routines and have our favorite times to feast. But we grab a snack whenever we need a metabolism boost! The only time there's an issue with doggie weight gain is when mom and dad start giving us too many yummy treats in addition to dog food. We try to suck in our guts so they don't notice; otherwise, the treats stop and we're back to just dog food. frown

Max & Rex

Mad Max and- Whining Rex

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '09 1:19pm PST 
One thing typical to plotts, is twisted stomach, ( the thing Marley and me died from), you want to avoid them gulping food, and no big meals before big runs, normal exercise is ok. I even raise my foodpans off the floor, on a bucket or whatever, just to make it easier for them. I like to feed half in the morning half at supper, if I plan a big run, I'll go light in the morning, and make it up at supper. I try to only feed mine Diamond Large breed puppy/ lamb and rice,...Fantastic results for active growing dogs, plus NO CORN FILLERS, can't stress this enough, dogs don't digest corn, poop will be smaller, and smell less, plus growth and development is exceptional.

Edited by author Wed Mar 11, '09 1:27pm PST

BillyJack Blue

I'VE BEEN- ADOPTED!!!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 22, '09 8:24am PST 
my mommy feeds me 1 1/2 cups of purina puppy chow complete, and I also eat beneful lamb and rice, as our vet indicated beneful brand was one of the very few that were ever recalled. I am fed in the morning with dry kibbles, and mommy gives me just a little at a time so that at this age, I hope to not gobble so quick, and so far it's working, I like to take my time and chew, but mommy knows it is typical for "hounds" to gobble and bloat. She is worried about that happening to my brother, GSD, Smokey Joe, and now especially me. We are fed in the early evening our puppy suppers, and I get 2 teaspoons of lamb and rice wet, with 1 1/2 cups of puppy chow. Mommy hand mixes that for me. I have learned to sit and wait until I am calm before mommy gives me my dish. I do really well and have learned not to steal food from my siblings. I get little treats as rewards for when I learn a new command. Mommy has discovered a way to reduce bloat from happening, it is our toughest rule, is no one is allowed to play for at least an hour after eating. We often times have a hard time containing this no-play period, but mommy is very adament and we do listen! Mom thinks this may help reduce possibility of bloat to a little degree. Maybe mommy is a bit over protective in this matter, but so far so good. Mommy would rather be a bit over protective than to be sorry if we got sick from this.
So far I have been growing like a little weed, as mommy has had to adjust my leash three times since I was adopted, and am not ribby, so mommy thinks for now, for as active as I am, this is working well for me. way to go I hope to grow strong and healthy! hamster dance

Kisses and bawls!
BillyJack Blue
Outlaw

Barked: Wed May 27, '09 10:27pm PST 
I give my Outlaw Blue buffallo Winderness and for a special treat I add some eggs and veggie juice ( from my own juicer) he likes it.
Asuka

Asuka Eva Unit 2

Barked: Sat Jun 13, '09 8:20pm PST 
Thanks for the great advice!
Chloe

Pascarella- Princess

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 7:21pm PST 
Chloe is sometimes a picky eater, too, especially after spending the weekend with Grandma and Grandpa! Since she has a very lean build, we were worried, too. Our vet suggested pouring just a little low-sodium chicken broth over her dry food when she isn't eating. She loves it- works every time! puppy
Daisy May

Barked: Sun Mar 21, '10 7:47am PST 
plott hounds wont keep weight on its just not in them unless they get people food. and for eating to fast they have bowls made just for slowing dogs down.