zuki not doing too well

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Zuki- DePoops- (RIP)

Until there are- none, adopt one!

Barked: Tue Jan 6, '09 7:25pm PST 
My baby Zuki has been falling a lot lately. As you may know he has nerve damage in his back leg but there may be something else complicating it. It's been hard these past few days because my husband's not been home. My back is strained from picking him up. The worse are the outside stairs. I can't think of any way around it for him going to the bathroom. He just has to go out that way. Poor guy. We're going to the vet next week. But until then we just have to cope the best we can.
Monty

For ever in my- heart

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 7:01am PST 
Awwwwhughughughugwishes
Copper

One step at a- time!

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 7:17pm PST 
Hi Zuki. Sending positive thoughts your way. Have you tried a sling or tail walking? It is much easier on our moms than trying to carry us. You can make a quick home made sling from a reusable fabric shopping bag. Just cut the sides, leaving the bottom in tack, add some padding if necessary, and poof....you have a sling with nice handles.
I still have a hard time doing stairs and slippery floors but mom helps me by tail walking. She just hangs on to my tail and if I slip she pulls me up. It also helps balance me going up and down stairs. It is much easier on her back because I'm not a lightweight. You might ask your vet about tail walking. Our vet is ok with it and I refused to use a sling. Hope you are feeling better soon.hug

Mr. Zuki- DePoops- (RIP)

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 1:33pm PST 
Zuki update:

We took Zuki to the vet today to discuss falling down and mobility issues. The vet suspects arthritis or another condition that is limiting the efficiency of the spine. He prescribed anti-inflammatories. We are on a 2 week trial to see if it works.

The doctor brought up "quality of life" which of course upset me a lot but we all three concluded that Zuki's quality of life was pretty good for his age and conditions.

Let's hope the meds work!

Aimee
MISS DIXIE- MONROE

GIGGLERS WILL- RULE THE WORLD!

Barked: Sat Jan 17, '09 3:17pm PST 
hughugyou still my buddy, zuke! try those meds, my friend!hug
Levi,- PAWS-My- Guardian- Angel

Can't keep a- cattle dog down- :)

Barked: Mon Jan 19, '09 8:37pm PST 
Zuki, you know you are in our thoughts and prayers, buddyhughughug
Checkers- 1994-2009

Mama's Angel- 1994-2009

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '09 5:06pm PST 
Zuki and mom I am keeping you in my prayers... hughug

Have you seen this http://www.bottomsupleash.com/ I was thinking of getting one for myself as I have been toppling over on my butt a lot, too!
Mike

Hopalong

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 6:33am PST 
Oh noooooooo, Zuki. My lab sister Roxanne had those issues. My pawrents tried everything including the bottoms up leash. They finally found a harness at Handicapped pets that was the absolute best. Mom has recommended it to a number of people including those with very large dogs and they have been pleased. Here is a link....

Harness
Percy, in- loving- memory

Seniors Rule!

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 2:31pm PST 
I agree a sling or harness that helps support the back legs will help a lot for both you and your mom. I bought Percy one just before he passed and it was a life saver. I got it at the thrift store operated by the AZ Humane society. I'm happy to send it to you if you can't find one. Its similar to this one http://www.fetchdog.com/shop/a/a/dog_harnesses/A10109
Mr. Zuki- DePoops- (RIP)

Barked: Sat Jan 24, '09 8:46pm PST 
Thanks for all the suggestions and rosettes. I appreciate all your thoughts. I don't think a harness will work for me right now. Dad has been helping me because mom's back was hurting. Also, I've been getting up the stairs a bit better. We're not sure if it's the medicine though.

Mom and dad got a rug that covers most of the hardwood floor, so I haven't been slipping as much, and if I fall at least it's on a soft surface. I've been resting a lot but no walks--just out in the yard.

Mom busted her finger, so dad's typing this. She hopes to respond to you when it feels better. But it looks like that'll be a while.

Luv,
Zuki
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2