Tumors/Cysts - Are They Common in Bullies?

Snoop Dogg

Not, Snoopie.- Just Snoop!

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 10:54am PST 
Hi guys, I don't know if anybody has already seen my post in the PotP forum, but last week I had a couple of lumps removed. 2 of them turned out to be cancerous. They removed them and said they could come back.

Is this common in my breed? Also is there anything my owner can do to make sure I live a long healthy life? (besides routine vet checkups, like a special diet or something?)
♥King- Gus♥

One handsome- man..grrr baby

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 6:38pm PST 
We don't know about the breed but mom is a pet sitter/dog walker and sees' many dogs with those lumps and they live a long healthy life...
Coco

Rub my belly- paw-leeeeze

Barked: Sat Nov 29, '08 7:15pm PST 
I don't know if it's common in the bully breed, Snoop, but I did have a lipomas (fatty tumor) that was removed after I was rescued. If I come across anything, I will update this post.

Spike In- Loving- Memory

LIFE IS- GOOD!

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 12:10pm PST 
I had a tumor removed from my leg about a year ago, not sure what kind it was. So far it hasn't come back. My bloodhound/mastiff sisfur has had several lipoma's removed and so far they haven't come back but she also had another type, don't know exactly what it was (maybe an adenoma) from her eyelid and that one came back and had to be removed again and the docs said it would probably keep coming back but it is a very slow growing type of tumor. Since it is underneath her lid Mom just has to keep checking to catch it before it gets very big so they can keep removing it without causing too much damage.

Not sure about Bullies, but Boxers do have a predisposition for mast cell tumors.
Riley

Moms girl...

Barked: Tue Dec 2, '08 5:00pm PST 
Snoop my brother Lucas has several tumors and well with his size and age and being that one is in his throat the docs do not think it would be in his best interest to put him under to remove them. That being said the vet did say judging by the size and consistency of them he thinks it is safe to say they are fatty tumors. Although the one in his throat they are not at all certain about so we keep a close eye on it...making sure it does not grow or make him uncomfortable. Goldens are very prone to fatty tumors and cancer...we are not sure about bully breads though. Sorry it took so long to post....mom just hates to think about it...truthfully she is terrified confused
Mom is going to check and see if she find anything about bully's and tumors and will post what she finds or send your mom a pawmailway to go
♥- Brutus- ♥

Born to Play

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 11:21am PST 
Snopp I am so glad to hear you're doing good. I pray you have no other problems. That being said, I'm SO glad you brought up this subject. Why don't we all try to find out about this and 'report back'. I do know that cancer in general is the number one cause of death in all dogs. I know that some experts say that the new multiple vaccines may be a trigger. I feed Brutie Timberwolf Bluefish food cause of all the omega 3 and anti oxidents in it. Check out this website as far as food that prevent cancer:

http://www.dogcancer.net/treats.html