Please Save a- Life, Adopt a- Cat!
|Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 6:24pm PST |
|For sure it would need to be done by 5 or 6 months. I don't know what the pediatric spay time is for a puppy... I have seen kittens done at 2-3 months. But I would also call around to other vets. Some are more "rescue" friendly. Meaning they understand where people like us are coming from and wont recommend we let our dogs have several heat cycles. Which is ridiculous... I would for sure have a written contract with the adopters (include a return clause, meaning if they cant keep they need to contact you first and not just give the pup away to anyone, a spay clause, and probably a lot more that others will suggest, charge an adoption fee (to cover your expenses or to donate to an organization of your choice). Spend time with them and visit their homes. You can even look them up to see if they have a criminal record.
Unfortunately we can't have a crystal ball to be sure these that everyone that takes our furbabies will do them right, but if you have a legal contract and do some checking up, at least you will have peace of mind.
Here is an example I found online
* I agree that the animal is being adopted for myself and will not be sold, adopted, or given to another party. _________ (initial)
* I agree that the animal will not be allowed outdoors without proper supervision. When taking my dog outdoors, they will be on a secure harness and wear proper ID. _________ (initial)
* (If adopting a cat) I agree that I will not declaw the cat or allow the cat outdoors. _________ (initial)
* (If adopting a dog) I agree that this dog is to be a companion animal, not a guard dog. The dog will live inside my home, not outdoors. _________ (initial)
* I agree to care for the animal in a humane manner and be a responsible animal guardian. This includes supplying adequate food, water, shelter, attention, and medical care. _________ (initial)
* I agree that if at any point I can not keep the animal, I will return him/her to the original rescue without requesting a fee. _________ (initial)
* I understand and agree that the current rescue makes no guarantees about the animal's temperament and is not responsible for future damages or injuries caused by the animal. _________ (initial)
* I give the current rescue permission to call my home at any reasonable time to assure that the animal is being properly treated and cared for. _________ (initial)
* I agree to keep the rescue informed of my current home address and phone number. _________ (initial)