Close X

Breed of the Month!!! [Competition]

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Jet (In- Memory)

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '08 7:54am PST 
ABOUT

Every month a new breed from the herding group will be chosen and celebrated for a whole month. cheer

I'll post the winning breed here along with a bit of information about the breed.

If you have any suggestions for the next Breed of the Month, pm me and I'll consider them for next time. way to go

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CURRENT WINNERS

Where everypup is listed as the winner, it refers to when I forgot to update the list. big laugh big laugh big laugh

April 2008
Border Collie

May 2008
Rough Collie

June 2008
EVERYPUP!

July 2008
German Shepherd Dog

August 2008
EVERYPUP!

September 2008
EVERYPUP!

October 2008
EVERYPUP!

November 2008
Shetland Sheepdog

Dcember 2008
EVERYPUP!

January 2009
The Pembroke Welsh Corgi

February 2009
Australian Shepherd

March 2009
Australian Cattle Dog

April 2009
Everypup laugh out loud

May 2009
Everypup big laugh

June 2009
Old English Sheepdog

snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy

Edited by author Mon Jun 1, '09 4:02am PST

Jet (In- Memory)

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '08 8:03am PST 
April

This month's top breed is the ......... Border Collie

Why? Because a large amount of our members are BC's and of course we're just pawsome, right wink

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------

Information about Border Collies

Descriptions
Weight: 30 - 50 pounds (13.61 - 22.68 kg)
Height: 18 - 21 inches (45.72 - 53.34 cm)

A medium-sized dog with a light frame and long hair, the typical Border Collie has a slightly wide head with a tapered muzzle, half-perked ears and dark, oval eyes. The long tail sometimes raises but never curls over the back. They have two types of coat: sleek and coarse (which is slightly longer than sleek). Colors include black, black & white, red & white, tri-color and black & gray. Overall, Border Collies have an athletic body—strong and agile, quick and coordinated—that seems always ready for action.

Border Collie History
Considered the world’s best sheepherder, Border Collies originated on the Scottish/English border in Northumberland, derived from a mixture of Spaniel and early droving breeds. While no one knows for sure how long they’ve been around, some experts say English sheepdogs have been tending herds since the Romans landed in Britain. Their keen intelligence and adaptability has made them a top choice for narcotics and bomb detection, not to mention guiding the blind and assisting the handicapped.

Famous Border Collies!
1) Shep. Long-term companion to John Noakes of the BBC's Blue Peter
2) Fly and Rex from "Babe"
3) Nana, from "Snow Dogs"
4) Timmy from the 1978 television incarnation of "The Famous Five"

Sources and more info can be found at the Dogster breed descriptions Click and wikipedia

Featured Border Collies
Dixie
Jewel
Maxamillian

snoopy

Edited by author Wed Apr 9, '08 8:05am PST

Jet (In- Memory)

Barked: Sat May 10, '08 6:17am PST 
May

This month's top breed is the ......... Rough Collie!

One of the original herding dogs!

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------

Information about Collies

Descriptions
Weight: 48 - 70 pounds (21.77 - 31.75 kg)
Height: 22 - 24 inches (55.88 - 60.96 cm)

Four coat colors are recognized for Rough Collies: sable and white, where the "sable" ranges from pale tan to a golden mahogany; white; tricolour, which is primarily black edged in tan; and blue merle, which is a mottled gray. All have white coat areas, in the collar, parts of the leg, and maybe tail tip. Some may have white blazes on their faces. Rough Collies have more pointed faces than their look-alike Sheltie 'cousins'. The downy undercoat is covered by a long, dense, coarse outer coat with a notable ruff around the neck, feathers about the legs, a petticoat on the abdomen, and a frill on the hindquarters.

History
Collies have existed in Scotland and northern England as long as there have been shepherds. For generations, Collies were used for herding cows and sheep, and their masters did not keep breed records. In the 19th century—thanks to the interest of Queen Victoria and others—Collies became popular pets, leading dog fanciers to take notice. The Collie Club of America began in 1886, and to this day the Collie ranks among the most popular breeds in the U.S.

Famous Rough Collies!
1) Lassie, a line of Collies originally owned by Rudd Weatherwax that have starred in numerous films, multiple television series, a radio program, and has been the subject of various novels and non-fiction works. One of the few animal actors to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
2) The helpful Collie, from 101 Dalmatians. He leads Pongo, Perdita and the puppies into the safety of a dairy farm somewhere in Hertfordshire county.

More Information.
Click and Clicky

Jet (In- Memory)

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 4:52am PST 
July

This month's top breed is the.............GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Information about the GSD

Description
Weight: 60 - 85 pounds (27.22 - 38.56 kg)
Height: 23 - 25 inches (58.42 - 63.50 cm)

A typical German Shepherd’s body—slightly longer than tall—is sturdy but lean. It has a slightly convex forehead, long muzzle, pointed ears and almond-shaped eyes that are set (as opposed to protruding) with an amiable expression. The neck slopes down to muscular shoulders and legs. The back legs are solid and the tail bushy. Normally black and tan, sable or just black, they also come in blue and white. They come in three versions: shorthaired (sometimes called rough-coated), medium-haired and longhaired.

History
The German Shepherd is a relatively new breed, almost entirely developed in the 20th century. Attempting to create a standard herding dog for his country, German breeder Capt. Max von Stephanitz invented the Deutsche Schäferhunde in 1899 from a mix of early shepherd dogs having various coat lengths, textures, body types and colors. Stephanitz’s aim was to develop a standard sheep-herding dog with the solid intelligence and work ethic to assist farm workers and laborers as well as police and soldiers. Standardized in Germany in 1901, the German Shepherd came to America in 1907 and flourished with the help of organizations like the German Shepherd Dog Club of America.

Famous GSD
1) K-9 (film), a 1989 Universal City Studios comedy starring James Belushi. It has two sequels, K-911 and K-9 P. I.
2) Rin Tin Tin, a German Shepherd dog, was considered to be one of Hollywood's top stars during the 1920s and 30s. At the peak of his career, Rin-Tin-Tin received as many as 10,000 fan letters a week.[21] Several dogs played the role.
3) Strongheart, also known as Etzel von Oeringen, was the first German Shepherd with name-above-the-title billing in a film. He starred in an adaptation of White Fang, released in 1925, and The Return of Boston Blackie, released in 1927.
4) In the 2007 film I Am Legend, a female German Shepherd named Abbey plays Sam (short for 'Samantha'), the companion of main character Robert Neville (played by Will Smith).

Click
Jet (In- Memory)

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 12:09pm PST 
November

This month's top breed is the.............SHETLAND SHEEPDOG!!! happy dance

The Sheltie was suggested quite a few months ago by a member (I forgot who.) They are also one of Mum's favourite breeds. happy dance
-------------------------------------------------------

Info rmation about the Sheltie

Description
Weight: 12 - 18 pounds (5.44 - 8.16 kg)
Height: 12 - 15 inches (30.48 - 38.10 cm)

Shetland Sheepdogs have small, sturdy and light frames with rough, long coats—you could say they resemble a miniature version of the longhaired Collie. Their heads have a long, noble shape with tapered muzzles, raised ears and watchful, almond-shaped eyes. Their long hair creates a mane down the sides of the head and neck. They have a double coat—long and rough on the outside, short and dense on the inside—that comes in blue merle, sable, black, and gold marked white & tan. Their bushy tails hang down. Overall, Shetland Sheepdogs have a well-proportioned, symmetrical shape.

History
The Shetland Sheepdog most likely derived from the small, working Collies in Scotland, used for many years as herders of cows and sheep. Long isolated on remote Scottish islands, the “Shetland Collie” did not become officially recognized by the English Kennel Club until 1909. Five years later, after protests from Collie fanciers, they were classified as Shetland Sheepdogs.

Famous Shelties
1) Badenock Rose - the first Shetland Sheepdog registered with the English Kennel Club.

Click

Edited by author Sun Nov 16, '08 12:11pm PST

Buster

Cute as a- Button!

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 4:55pm PST 
I think we shuld do some corgis
Caledonia- "Callie",- BBB

All right,- enough already!

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 5:01pm PST 
Hi Buster,

I agree!
Buster

Cute as a- Button!

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 1:48pm PST 
Here is a fact about my breed

We are the OLDEST hearding breed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!blue dog
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '08 6:48pm PST 
I think December should be Pembroke Welsh Corgi!! cheer
Jet (In- Memory)

Barked: Mon Dec 22, '08 5:33am PST 
I think I'll make December's BOTM everypup, yay.

We're all top breeds. big laugh big laugh

I will try to update for January. If I remember. way to go
  (Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]