I had a big problem with febreze

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Arthur- Benjamin- Caron

Arturo Franko- Columbo

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '08 2:57pm PST 
I am sorry to have to post this but I felt I must. I was moving and put my house on the market. I cleaned my house and then decided to try a new product-Febreze. I sprayed my couch, throw pillows and rugs, let it dry a bit and then covered my couch with freshly washed blankets. My dog Arthur loves to get under the blanket and he did. Within a couple of hours he had dropped at my feet and his gums had turned pure white. He was in shock, I lived 5 minutes from a vet and rushe him in. The started him on introvinice(spelling) fluids and draw some blood. After several hours he seemed to be coming around but they told me they had thought he was a goner when I first brought him in. They did every test they could think of and keep him over night and he was better the next day, but slow and tired looking. They told me he reacted just like a dog that had been poisoned. I used the same products I had used for years with the one exception. Febreze. I feel strongly that he had a bad reaction to the product and had I not been with him would have died. My sister later told me she had been at petco and seen a notice that several small animals (ferrets, & small dogs) had gone into shock and some died after being exposed to Febreze. I have never found much info on the subject but I have posted this story before on other pet web sites. I am very greatful for how things worked out for Arthur & me but I truly feel people should be careful with this product. Good Luck
Rosie

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '08 6:16pm PST 
Mmm! thinking Thankyou for that imformation im so glad you ok and your mum got you to vets in time kitty
bb

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 5:17am PST 
How long ago was this? I've heard similar stories, but I thought Febreeze has changed it's formula since it first came on the market.

domino

if it's not- nailed down,- it's mine!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:35am PST 
my mom has 3 dogs and uses febreze all the time, we've never had a problem but she always lets it dry all the way before she lets us dogs get on the carpet or furniture after she sprays.
Cleo

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:49am PST 
Hi,

We’re so sorry to hear about your experience, and we’re glad that Arthur is doing better now.

Febreze, when used as directed by the product label, is safe for use around dogs and cats – a fact confirmed by veterinarians at the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Procter & Gamble conducts rigorous evaluations of all products prior to marketing, and Febreze is no different. We have pets too, and their health and well-being is important to us.

If you have additional questions, go to www.febreze.com, or visit http://www.aspca.org/aspcablog/2006/09/ask-apcc-scoop-on-febreze-ple ase.html. (Please note extra precautions should always be taken around birds and as such we do not recommend use of Febreze around birds.)
Storm

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 10:56am PST 
According to snopes, that is an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp
Ralph

Have Food Will- Find You

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 7:52pm PST 
Thanks so much for telling us. We have never had a problem, but I guess it is something to think about now. We are so glad things worked out for you too. xoxoxoapplause
Arthur- Benjamin- Caron

Arturo Franko- Columbo

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '08 12:26pm PST 
Believe me I totally understand that many people use this product with no problems, but just like some people have reactions to products or medications, I believe Arthur had that problem. I probably should have made sure it was fully dry but it did not accure to me at the time. My warning was just to remind people that we get used to using these type of products and even with the best intentions that the makers have, it is not for everyone. So if you know you have a pet that is sensitive to chemicals or fragrances you might want to be cautious. This did happen about 7 years ago and there has been some talk that the formula has changed. I do not know if that is true. I hope it is if they found there was a problem. Someone said it was urban legend, well I don't know about that but I do know that whatever happened that day, I was holding a limp lifeless dog in my arms that could not stand up and was looking at me to help him. I do know that he was not making it up and I do know that I almost lost him forever that day. I know that I would never want another person to have to go through that experience, which has changed my life and the way that I look at the products I use in my home. I have absolutly no proof that Febreze was the problem. I just feel that it may have been a factor and because of that I feel compelled to share the story so that it may be of value to someone.
Blackie

I love you & you- & you & you too- & you

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '08 1:57pm PST 
We are happy Arthur is okay!! And we appreciate you telling us! You are right, every one, human... cat .. dog, react differently to different products.
Again we are happy he is okay!! hug
Demon Flash- Bandit

I love attention

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '08 6:08pm PST 
I'm so glad to hear that the dog recovered, but humans need to remember that even the best products can cause problems for humans and animals. I don't think the product is necessarily bad, but it should be used carefully, and I think that is true of all cleaning products. A lot of cleaning products aren't good for humans either. This is why I, Demon Flash Bandit am totally against baths. I think there is serious danger with soap or shampoo and I think water isn't good either. I wouldn't want to have to go to the emergency vet to get treated for water poisioning. I do have to add that water that gets on a husky from snow is perfectly safe, and should not be avoided. Preferably you can track in some lovely muddy paw prints to give a home that decorative "paw" look that all the good decorators try to achieve.
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2