GO!

How can you tell if they have been neutered?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chewy

Rawwwwrrrr..

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 4:42pm PST 
I adopted 2 doggies and was told they were neutered. I wasnt given any paperwork on them for it though. How can I tell if they were neutered or not? Is there any signs?
[notify]
C. J., MS

Where's my- Aerobie?

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 4:48pm PST 
Usually you will notice that males have no testicles and females have a scar on the abdomen. But this is not confirmation of either. In males, there are conditions where the testicles never descend or never develop properly (cryptorchidism/monorchidism). The easiest thing to do is to hound the people you got the pups from, those who claim the pups have been neutered, and get the paperwork or find out the info about what vet performed the surgery so you can get the paperwork from them.

In male dogs, monorchidism/cryptorchidism is relatively rare, but does happen! If you can't get proof from the people you purchased/adopted the pups from, usually a vet exam is required in order to obtain a "certificate" of sterility (for licensing purposes, mainly).
[notify]
Sasha Belle

Bring Blue- Home!!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 4:54pm PST 
Umm well... if they are neutered they won't have any nuggets.

In the neuter procedure the male dogs testicles are pushed up alittle bit where a small incision is made and then the doctor removes the insides of the testicles. So essentually the testicles are still there, but they are empty.

It will be pretty obvious if they aren't neutered. Unless there are retained testicles.

OMD I'm having a moment here and I'm having a hard time explaining this can someone who can pick themselves off of the floor for long enough clarify for me. I'm at a loss for words here.

edited: I see someone posted at the same time!

Edited by author Mon Jan 28, '08 4:55pm PST

[notify]

Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 5:05pm PST 
You will not see any testicles on a male dog. There will be loose skin hanging between the legs, but not actual testicles.

This isn't fool proof though. Gunner had one undescended testicle and it looked like he was neutered shock So you might want to go to the vet and see what your vet says.
[notify]
The Black- and Tan Clan

have a nice day

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 6:39pm PST 
my 3 boys dont have loose skin, i think they would only have that if they were neutered at an older age... all my boys were neutered very early, and before they came home with me
[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 6:42pm PST 
The loose skin usually "shrivels up" after a while, so don't be surprised if you don't see anything at all.
[notify]
Chompers, PhD

Where the- rabbits?!?

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 8:50pm PST 
Just a correction for Sasha Bell:

In the neuter procedure, a small incision is made just cranial to the scrotal sac, through which the testicles are removed. Not just the "insides" of the testicles, but the entire testicles are removed. What remains is the scrotum. No testicles!
[notify]
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 10:49pm PST 
i think sasha meant the other procedure only took out the insides....i think....

i'd just make a quick trip to the groomer...

and applause for actually caring if they were or not instead of just believing the breeder!! smile
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '08 4:16am PST 
You could ask the groomer or take them to the vet and have them check it outsmile 2 Paws up for you not just taking someone elses word for it!!applause
[notify]
Sasha Belle

Bring Blue- Home!!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '08 6:37am PST 
Thanks Choppers! I knew I wasn't explaining it right.

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '08 6:38am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2