Dealing with picture problems

Jayke (A- life well- lived!)

Attitude above- all else!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 7:51am PST 
Here is an email from Dogster that will helps any pup having problems with pictures.
Woofs from Jayke
dog

Our Photo FAQ is here:

http://www.dogster.com/faq/photos

Are you by chance using a proprietary photo viewer with your pics? Sometimes the extra code attached to the photo for the custom viewer on the photo CD causes problems.

Sometimes photos do upload, but don't show right away. Try giving your dog a bone which recaches the page and your browser. Your new picture(s) just might show up.

Dogster's autosizing photo uploader can usually handle most files, but if your picture file is really huge, you might want to try reducing it closer to Dogster's 50 K optimum file size.

One easy solution is to use PicResize to prepare your image: http://www.picresize.com/

NOTE: PicResize also allows you to choose what picture format to save the finished photo to, which means you can use PicSize's FREE service to change other picture formats into JPEG files.

Overly large pictures in terms of file size(quality) and overly large photos in terms of dimensions (pixels) can sometimes cause problems. There can also be issues with photos which were created for use with a proprietary slide viewer. Sometimes when I check a photo my photo editor detects extraneous code with the image and removes that code. The code is most likely control information attached to the photo for use in a slide viewer.

With the new auto-resizing program in place, the pixel dimensions have not been so critical, but from practical experience I can tell you the success rate in uploading picture files is much higher when the file size is 50 K or less and the dimensions are somewhere in the 350 pixel renge (height or width).

Another tip is to make sure there are no spaces or apostrophes in your picture file name:

Examples: use "my_dog.jpg" instead of "my dog.jpg" or "daddys_baby.jpg" instead of "daddy's baby.jpg"

You could also be having issues with the cache of your browser. If you try uploading a pic that is within Dogster's 50 K file size limit and it doesn't take, go back to your My Account page and start over from there. Browsers hold so many files in their cache that sometimes an old file (of the picture you are trying to load) is what the browser attempts to load instead of the
new pic you might have selected. If you don't succeed in loading a picture, the browser sometimes gets confused and miscommunicates with Dogster. That confuses Dogster and prompts the "photo failed to copy" error or sometimes a "dog that is not yours" warning.

Sometimes the only thing that works is to clear out your browser's cache of files and cookies, close the browser, and start over from scratch loading the browser, logging in, etc.

I know, it's a pain when you have to do that, but while a brower's cache of files, cookies, sites visited, forms, etc. makes general browsing smoother, those same files, cookies, etc (which can number in the tens of thousands, btw) can muck things up, too. I clean out my browser's cache at least once a week. On more than one occasion my browser has collected more than 20,000 files of varying types. It's true that I'm online a lot more than average, but now I try to clean the browser cache every couple of days. I have to log in to my more popular sites more often, but the tradeoff is that I have fewer browser issues because the program is cleaner.

And, again, folks who try to upload pictures that are already in the 50 K range have better success uploading their pictures.

More info than you probably wanted or needed to know, but just thought Iwould pass along what has worked for me.
Hendrix

Balls, Balls,- Water, Water,- Water...

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 11:01am PST 
Yahooooo, Jayke for helping us out on this....cheercheercheercheercheercheer

I know they're so many friends that are having this problem from time to time.
I know I've been. I usually get Lucy Girl to help me out...
Thank you Lucy Girl and mommie!!!

This is so awesome!!!!dancingdancingdancingdancingdancing

I usually don't have problems adding my photos to my main Dogster page because I take everything in 5 meg.
However, I do have problems uploading them unto the groups site of pictures.
This will really help all us doggies out...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us Jayke and mommie...snoopysnoopysnoopysnoopysnoopy

Can you help me with the browser cache? I have Vista.
I'd like to empty it, however I'm scared to do so. I
might lose information.

I'm still getting the Operation Abort thingie all the time. Especially when I visit Lucy Girl and Paws page?
I just don't get it?
I try back later and is usually always opens, but when you want to visit the page then and there and it's not available, it gets frustrating...
I know have a little bit of patience...

Thank you again Jayke for helping us out....
doghugdoghugdogdoghugdog

Love a my friend!
Hendrix
XOXOX
hughughughughughughug
Jayke (A- life well- lived!)

Attitude above- all else!

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 1:37pm PST 
Hope this helps. Its from the Microsoft web site.
dog

How and Why to Clear Your Cache
Published: March 23, 2004 | Updated: June 30, 2006

Often referred to as the cache, the Temporary Internet Files folder contains a kind of travel record of the items you have seen, heard, or downloaded from the Web, including images, sounds, Web pages, even cookies. Typically these items are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder.

Storing these files in your cache can make browsing the Web faster because it usually takes your computer less time to display a Web page when it can call up some of the page's elements or even the entire page from your local Temporary Internet Files folder.

Clearing Your Browser's Cache
All those files stored in your cache take up space, so from time to time, you may want to clear out the files stored in your cache to free up some space on your computer. This is called clearing the cache.

To clear your cache:

On the Internet Explorer 6 0r 7 Tools menu, click Internet Options. The Internet Options box should open to the General tab.

On the General tab, in the Temporary Internet Files section, click the Delete Files button. This will delete all the files that are currently stored in your cache.

Click OK, and then click OK again.

Tip: You can adjust your Internet Explorer 6 settings to automatically clear the cache whenever you close Internet Explorer 6. Go to the Tools menu, and click Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab. In the "Settings" box, scroll down to the section labeled "Security," and click to check the box next to the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option. Click OK to finish. This option does not delete cookies, but it will clear your cache of other files when you close your browser.

dogdog

Hendrix

Balls, Balls,- Water, Water,- Water...

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '08 1:01pm PST 
Thank you so much Jayke....

Mama wants to do this, however is not that bright when it comes to computer stuff.
We have to wait until Papa gets home in February to help with this.
I think we went to the right place, but mama is so scared that she's going to delete the wrong things???

Snuggles and Shakes,
H
XOXO