Grape Toxicity in dogs

  
Suri

Doodles make the- world go 'round!
 
 
Barked: Mon Oct 8, '07 9:42pm PST 
Why is a grape or raisen deadly to a dog? Many canine dog trainers and owners have traditionally given their dogs grapes and raisens as a tasty treat. However, given in large amounts, they'be been known to be deadly and lethal. It has been said that just a handful can kill a dog. I personally have given my own dogs grapes and they really do love the taste. I've never had a problem but I don't allow them to eat alot of them. Maybe just a couple. The following was written by a veterinarian:

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities. The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians at the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction. Michael Richards, DVM

6/5/2001 What is known:

Dogs affected will vomit with a few hours of eating either raisins or grapes. Then within 24 hours they may become anorexic and have diarrhea. These clinical signs can last for days to weeks.


Some dogs will develop kidney damage in the first day after exposure. As this damage progresses the dogs will produce less and less urine until they stop producing urine all together. Once that happens death will follow.


Dogs that are treated early and aggressively have a reasonable chance of recovery. If treatment is delayed the prognosis becomes very poor.


What is not known:
It is yet to be discovered what the actual toxin is. There has been speculation that it may be the grape itself, or possibly pesticides, heavy metals (zinc or lead), or perhaps fungal contaminants.


There does not seem to be a critical dose that the dogs need to be exposed to before seeing signs of toxicity. Some dogs eating a few grapes regularly can be affected, as can dogs that consume a large amount one time. There seems to be equal cases in dogs eating grapes as there are dogs eating raisins.


There does not seem to be a breed, age, or sex of dog that is more affected.


Just to be on the safe side, don't feed your Goldendoodle or any dog, for that matter grapes or raisens.


You can check out more info at:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
Article written by Author/Breeder: Dee Gerrish of Goldendoodle World-2007
dog