Help Better Letter Writing

Badger- Hunter's- Little- Smokie

Come closer!- Have U been dog- approved?

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 5:27pm PST 
Howl-dy! I'd love to *poke* a letter or two in support of stopping animal abuse. Howlever, I am such a silly eenie weenie. Mom and I are having trouble *poing* a letter to that Senator. We don't know what to say or how to say it. We want to be taken seriously.

Can some of you better letter writers help a weenie out?

Smoke, wants to be serious
Cosmic- Isabel- Roverandom

To Infinity and- Beyond!

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 8:33pm PST 
Hey Poke! I mean Smoke! Obviously you don't want to tell Congressman Sensenbrenner to go shove it up his.....because that wouldn't be polite (he's not a Senator so don't call him that cause Congressmen hate being called Senators...they're so sensitive). A good place to start would be to look at our links here. There's one called "Letter Suggestion" from pets-abuse.com. It's got a lot of tips on how to construct a letter to politicians and other greaseballs.

Beyond that, you should just speak from the heart. Myself, I think shaming is a great tool in the grieved citizens' arsenal. And quite frankly, holding up a piece of legislation on dog fighting by claiming that the Congress has more pressing matters is just a bunch of crap. The Congress hasn't done squat all year. They're not doing anything about Iraq, Social Security, immigration, or any of the other things he says are so frickin' important. So shame on him for sitting on a bill that could help defenseless doggies.

Okay, so that's not exactly helpful. But you get the idea. Use that link I told ya about and then go with your gut, or your poke!

Barked: Fri Oct 13, '06 9:39pm PST 
*changes Dear Sen...Congressman*

*scratches out opening sentence*

Pull your head out and get off the pot already.

Thanks for *poking* me in the right direction. I should have looked at the front page first! *wooofps*

Smoke, *poking* a letter

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Sun Oct 15, '06 3:05pm PST 
Hey Smoke! I kinda had an issue with this one, too. What to say without getting too PO'd, ya know?

Plus, this silly Congressmen is obviously *very* concerned with people, so I pointed out that ultimately, dog fighting isn't really about dogs (even though we could all debate otherwise!) but about people... just to try and get him to open his eyes and THINK for a second!! So anyway, I don't know if it helps, but this is what I wrote:

"Dear Representative Sensenbrenner,

Please focus on the Dog Fighting bill instead of casting it to the side. You claim it is not a pressing issue, but it is. This isn't about animals, it's about people. Dog fighting and other forms of animal abuse are directly related to drugs, gangs, and other illegal activity that I'm sure you think is much more important. It is also a known fact that serial killers started out as animal abusers. Think about what a difference there could be in the lives of people, if animal abusers are given harsher punishments and their crimes are taken seriously. Animal abuse needs to be a felony in all 50 states. This is a great opportunity to make it happen. Please don't drag it out any longer than it has to.

Again, this isn't about the animals, it's about the people. But the animals will surely be just as grateful that their abusers are brought to justice with this new law.

Sincerely,
"

Barked: Wed Oct 18, '06 8:15am PST 
Thanks Jasmine! I just needed a little *poke* in the write direction. I'm too silly and Mom can be waaaaay to serious sometimes!

Smoke, *poking* politicians
Otis

"More- Walks....Less- Toys"

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 7:08am PST 
Hey Ya'll! My mama writes letters for a living...This is her take on the previous letter:
Dear Representative Sensenbrenner,

Thank you for the opportunity to express my thoughts in regards to the Dog Fighting bill.

Unfortunately, many people may believe that dog fighting is not a pressing issue, but as an informed citizen, I choose to disagree.

This issue is not solely about the animals. It is also about people. Research has shown that dog fighting and other forms of animal abuse are directly related to drugs, gangs, and other illegal activity. It also has been proven that most serial killers have a history of animal abuse.

Please consider the difference it could be in the lives of people, if animal abusers were given harsher punishments for their crimes.

I believe, as do many of my friends and nieghbors, that animal abuse needs to be a felony in all 50 states.

You have been presented with a great opportunity to make a diffrence in the lives of both the people and the animals. Both will grateful that their abusers are brought to justice with this new law.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my letter. It is my hope that you will reconsider your views regarding the urgency of this situation.

Respectfully,