GO!

Suggestions?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 2:58pm PST 
I'm a first time Great Dane owner. I love my big baby and I want to be sure I'm doing all I can for him and his health. I've been feeding him Purina One large breed puppy (he's a year and two months) but I noticed that he's been losing weight. The most he's been is 104 lbs. I take him in monthly to get him weighed and to buy him heartgard. (I'd figure it'd be better to buy single doses of heartgard since I've heard that they don't stop growing until a year and a half or two years) These past few months he started dropping the weight, he is now down to 98 lbs. I've been taking him to the dog park alot more recently also I should add. 3-4 times a week 1-2 hours. My questions is, When should I stop feeding him large breed puppy? Is the Purina brand a good brand? I've been told that he is buring through it because it has alot of fillers. He's buring off too many calories with his filller foods that's why he's been losing weight.. What are good foods for big baby??? Help me(:
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 7:58am PST 
I would recommend crating him while you are cooking, that way he will not be at harm and you can focus on what you're doing. Do this regularly, and you will both fall into a routine that keeps him safe.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 8:02am PST 
Large breed food is not recommended for a growing great dane. He should already be on an "adult" formulated feed or on a "giant breed" feed. And, Purina is not a good brand in my opinion. I would not feed that to my danes. It is mostly filler without there being a solid meat (protein) source available. If you want to keep the weight on him, choose a food that has meat as a first ingredient and is free of corn (an allergen to dogs). I would recommend Taste of the Wild, Candidae, Orijen, Acana, Fromms, or a brand of similar quality.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 9:43pm PST 
Dear Friend:
I am a first time Daner myself....My Vet recommended Royal Canine foods. Eze Buster is 15 months old. He weighs 110 pounds and has only eaten Royal Canine since I got him as a puppy. We are currently feeding 1/2 puppy and 1/2 adult formulas. In one more month we will have made the full transition to adult giant breed food. Good Luck!blue dog
[notify]