GO!

Life expectancy?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Vinnie

The AT-AT of Dog- Wars

Barked: Thu May 3, '07 1:27pm PST 
What is the life expectancy for an American bred Great Dane?

In Denmark, Great Danes only live an average of 7 - 8 years, which IMO is not nearly enough!

I'm having trouble finding a responsible breeder, who focuses more on health than looks.
[notify]
Libby

Where's the- kitty?????

Barked: Fri May 4, '07 7:17pm PST 
Vinnie-that is not to far off from the average in the US also. I would say the average from the danes that we have been around is about 9 years. Of course there are the few who we know are 13 and 14 (we love them so much-they are our best friends). We purchased our danes from a breeder in Ontario Canada-she does ensure that any of her dogs that she breeds are certified for heart, hip and thyroid. She is here for us for the entire life of the dog-in her contract it is mandatory that if we cannot for some uncertain reason take care of the dane any longer that she will take the dog back regardless of age and so on-to us she is a great breeder.
[notify]
Henry- Fox-Gladston- e RIP

I drool,- therefore I am

Barked: Sun May 6, '07 8:23am PST 
I guess that's about the average, Vinnie - not nearly long enough! But our big sister, Megan, lived to be 10 and we know of Alfred who lived to 14 so you never know!
[notify]

Max

Barked: Tue May 8, '07 1:17pm PST 
My great grandparents are still alive and thriving at 12 years of age !
[notify]
Ozzy

SWEETER THAN- SUGAR

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 6:39pm PST 
Great Danes only live to about 8-10 years old on average. Although I've had a Dane that lived to 17!
[notify]
♪Kahula Blue Russain

I wuffles Jakey- Wakey

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '07 6:35am PST 
Well It donent matter on the life stage it matters about how much care you give him but they say about 10-15 years.
[notify]
Bagheera - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 2:30pm PST 
Bagheera had the very best of care. He beat cancer, bloat (twice) and other health issues and he lived to be 12 1/2 years old. Not near enough! I miss him so much!!
[notify]
Bagheera - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '08 2:30pm PST 
Bagheera had the very best of care. He beat cancer, bloat (twice) and other health issues and he lived to be 12 1/2 years old. Not near enough! I miss him so much!!
[notify]
Quattro

A Big Bark=A Big- Heart

Barked: Sat May 31, '08 3:04pm PST 
My parents first Dane was purchased from a breeder. Although we loved him dearly, God rest his soul, he was not a very good looking Dane. Actually he looked like a Dane/Greyhound mix. The "UP" side to this is he lived until he was put to sleep at age 13 for an advanced medical condition and poor quality of life. We really believe he lived longer because he was NOT up to breed standard. The norm is 8-10 years.
[notify]