GO!

Are Goldens good with other dogs?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Priya

Princess Priya

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 7:42pm PST 
Sorry, I didn't see another topic like this. My family is thinking about a Golden Retriever but we have one other dog. Would a Golden be tolerent of another dog in the house? The dog i have now, loves other dogs, so we theres not a problem with her smile I am really sorry if this question has been asked before.
[notify]
Goldiva's- Tangled Up- In Blue

Tally-true best- friend

Barked: Sat Jun 6, '09 7:44am PST 
In the golden retriever's AKC standard, a wonderful disposition with people and other dogs is specified as a hallmark of the breed. That being said, it is important to find a well-bred puppy from a caring breeder, a breeder who does all health clearances and socializes each litter lovingly. K9data.com is a good resource for checking on specific dogs and breeders. The Golden Retriever Club Of America can refer you to a good breeder. Do not be fooled by people advertising "rare white goldens"etc, for there is no such thing and it is a marketing ploy of the puppymills and the unethical. A "field" bred golden has much more "ricket fuel" than a conformation bred golden, sometimes too much for a pet owner. All in all, a wellbred, well-socialized golden puppy is a gentle, funny friend who gets along with all creatures great and small.

Edited by author Sat Jun 6, '09 7:46am PST

[notify]
Priya

Princess Priya

Barked: Sat Jun 6, '09 5:24pm PST 
Thank you so much for your response. I will deffenitly go to a breeder. smile I am not sure if there are many near me though, but I hope I can find one.
[notify]