GO!

Goldens= soft, easy dog

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Laura-SD

Anything worth- it is not free

Barked: Mon May 11, '09 9:50pm PST 
Most people I've talked to recommend a golden for a first time dog owner. I would think just the opposite though. My first golden was a lazy, easy going guy. Laura and Patriot on the other hand are nothing but pure energy and wild with happiness. Always on the go, always looking for something to do, and can be very stubborn at times. Most people who get goldens are labs as first time dogs have issues with the dog.

I guess it depends on the dog but most goldens I know require some knowledge and experience.

I'm not saying they aren't great dogs, I've had three and I LOVE them. I'm just wondering if you guys would call a golden a soft, easy dog and recommend them to first time dog people.
[notify]
Riley RIP

Miss Riley- Classy and- Fabulous

Barked: Tue May 12, '09 9:33am PST 
Riley and Gixxer are my first dogs to own. I grew up with a cocker spaniel and a brittany spaniel. When it comes to calling Goldens soft and easy, I don't think that any dog could be that. All dogs need time and patients from the owners. Some breeds need more time to learn things, but all dogs have their own personalities.
In my opinion, I agree with you in that, Goldens shouldn't be called soft or easy. They have a lot of great traits but just like any dog for first time owners, they will need the right training for a happy and healthy life.
And since Ri and Gix are my first dogs to own, it is easy for me to see where I have excelled in as an owner and where I need to improve in and work with each dog. Nobody is going to be the perfect first time owner of a dog. You just have to go with the flow, dedicate lots of time to your pal and find a breed that fits into your lifestyle.
blue dog
[notify]
Summer

Barked: Sun May 24, '09 6:08pm PST 
Summer was my very first dog, and I found that she fit very well into our family. I think what people mean when they recommend Goldens for first-time dog-owners is that Goldens are very eager to please their owners, are generally extremely non-aggressive, and rarely have alpha-issues. I found this to be true in my experience. Of course, Goldens do require care and attention -- but that's true for all dogs in general, regardless of the breed.
[notify]

Priya

Princess Priya

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 7:38pm PST 
I am thinking of getting a Golden Retriever because I heard that they are really good dogs and I've never had a "big" dog before, but my dad really wants one and he is looking at Golden or a Lab. All the Goldens I knew so far were very laid back but I never owned one so I don't know for sure. wink
[notify]
Harvey

Mountain Goat in- Training

Barked: Wed Jun 10, '09 6:55am PST 
The energy level really depends on the lines, but one benefit that Goldens have is that they are TRUE PEOPLE PLEASERS!

Our last Golden, Teddy, was one of the marshmellow goldens. She was a dog shaped rug who was happy doing whatever. I've met many goldens who giant bouncy balls as well!

They are a dog, and they come with all sorts of doggie excitement. Teddy ate a water heater door when she was a puppy (a 2 foot square! -- apparently her myraid of chew toys weren't as exciting/delicious for her)

But they train very easily, they love their people like nobodies business, and they have such an infinate capacity for love, fun, and joy, that everyday they're with you is a gift (she's been gone for 5 years and i'm STILL weepy)

Easy, no, no dog is ever easy. But goldens are certainly a pleasure to own. After having Harv, the spaniel personafied, I can't imagine having a TRULY willful dog. Forget whether the dog is easy and soft, I'm too easy and soft!
[notify]