GO!

Thyroid problems in Goldens

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jack

Jack A. Roo

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 7:46am PST 
Over the past year Jack has put on 20 pounds and has started developing bald spots (he has one on each side). The skin is fine and there is no irritation. Also, his diet is what the vet recommended for him to lose weight and he rarely gets a treat.

I took him to the vet and she said he showed many symptoms of a thyroid problem. They ran the test in the office and it came back okay, but she still felt that something was off so we sent more blood work to the University of Michigan to have the other 3 thyroid levels checked. Those also came back okay. I then took him back to the vet to have a chemical screening done just to rule out anything more serious. All of the results are coming back fine.

The more I read up the more I'm convincned that something is off with his thyroid. I've done a little research and found that the tests are not always correct and that some have had their Goldens treated for a thyroid problem (when the symptoms were there and the tests came back okay) and that the symptoms started going away in a month or two.

Does anyone here have any experience with this or you can you point me toward resources about this? I'd like to read up as much as possible before going back to the vet.
[notify]
Goldiva's- Tangled Up- In Blue

Tally-true best- friend

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 6:00am PST 
Did your vet test for Cushing's Disease? That seems like a real possibility.

Send the thyroid lab work to Dr. Jean Dodds. She has her own lab, and is the thyroid expert of all experts, especially for golden retrievers. She says a low normal for some breeds is too low for a golden. She'll consult with your vet.

Good luck with your goldie. It's so upsetting when problems linger on and on.

Have you tried a novel protein/simple diet like Californai Natural or Wellness Core?
[notify]
Sunny

get the food!!!!

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 1:21pm PST 
When we first got sunny he was COVERED in mats and quite over weight… we had to take him to the groomers to have him shaved. We were very surprised when the fur grew back it grew back unevenly…. Concerned we took him in the vet and they did blood tests and such. Well he to had thyroid (which was the reason for the uneven hair and the over weight.) another symptom is wound will be slow to heal.

Hope that jack feels better soon!!!

wishes
[notify]