GO!

How big is YOUR adult Golden Retriever?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucky- Mallory

All balls belong- to me! Tennis- player...

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 11:55pm PST 
Here is my 5 1/2 month old baby girl: (I don't have very many videos of her updated size SHE GROWS SO FAST smile so these will have to do.) (My oversized mini schnauzer is in there too.)

http://s401.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MOV01734.flv

ht tp://s401.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MOV01727.flv

http://s401.p hotobucket.com/albums/p...t=MOV01720.flv

I want to order this seatbelt:
http://www.petedge.com/Guardian-Gear...ness-ZW628.pro

Is there any way to guess if I will need a Large or Xtra Large for when she is an adult? She has a harness that I can use for now but I'd like to get the size she will need so I'll have the right size harness for later. I don't know if it is even possible to guess at the weight or girth but I was thinking maybe you all could tell me your dog's size and age for comparison and if anyone knows their dog's girth that would be great too! Thanks so much!
Leah (we gotta be safe in the car)

Her current girth is 26 inches plus the 2 that you're supposed to add (see below) so that's 28 total and she weighs somewhere around 50-55 lbs. ...but since there is only 8 inches left with the Large then would you suggest I get a Xtra Large? I've never had a dog this big and her huge growth spurts is very new to me. ha ha. and also I don't really know when she'll stop growing.

Sizing guide: Measure pet’s girth around the broadest part of the chest and add 2". If the measurement is between sizes or if the pet has a stouter build, select the next size up for a proper fit.
X-Small fits girths 7"-16"
Small/Medium fits girths 12"-28"
Large fits girths 28"-36"
X-Large fits girths 32"-44
[notify]
Tully

Barked: Tue Mar 31, '09 1:59pm PST 
I would definitely go with the XL. My pup will be two on April 8. He is 70-75 lbs, and I think he seems on the small end of the spectrum for Goldens. Everything I buy him is XL (collars/t-shirts/harnesses), though I'll admit I've never bought him a seat belt. I haven't taken his measurements, but he's big. Plus, unless you plan to keep the dog shaved year round, the fur will get THICK in the winter. I would plan on your pup weighing at least 70 lbs. Since there is about a 6 in overlap between the sizes, I think the XL is definitely the safe route -- you can always take up the straps, but they only let out so far. And trust me, if the large fits, it will be at the end of its ropes (pun intended). I hope I was of some help. Good luck!
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 4:01pm PST 
I, too, would go with the Extra Large! Heaven knows, what would you use for an Irish Wolfhound? thinking

My first Golden's mother was 82 lbs. She was an American/English very light reddish blockhead. He was a muscular intact male who weighed 78 lbs at his peak, and medium red, blockheaded, so probably a mix of show & field lines.
My second Golden male, Mr. Holmes, maxed out at 76 lbs, medium to dark red, blockheaded, much more fieldy in looks and more prey-driven and exuberant, more gracile, extremely muscular and strong. His mother was extremely fieldy, very red, very gracile, light to moderately feathered, under 68 lbs. Not too delicate, but not coarse either. As a young puppy, Mr. Holmes was enormously hungry, despite our trying to be careful with his food and growth rate. He would literally pick up his plastic food bowl & bang it against the wall repeatedly, BOL! laugh out loud The vet said to go ahead & feed him more. He did not end up with any dysplasia or arthritis & lived to be 12 and 3/4 years old. He was intact, but never bred.

Dr. Watson probably tops out at 72 lbs max. He's dark red, very fieldy in appearance, light to moderately feathered, not block-headed, as was his mom. His dad was big and dark red. His mom was under 68 as well.

All my Goldens have been pretty self-regulating about feed, eating about half as much in the hotter months as in the colder months. My brother's Golden is overweight, but he was getting Beneful, ick! I changed his food and he's lost some weight, thank dog.

Sorry for so much info, Mom tends to go on & on about her heartbreed, if you know what I bark! big grin

If you are able to talk to the breeder, know the parent's size, know if the lines are show, field, English, American, etc. perhaps you can estimate. thinking A lot of info, but if you get the wrong size, maybe you can trade.

Also, be sure (I bet you are) to feed her carefully. She will reach her max weight eventually, but our lovely Goldens mature slowly and their bones and joints can be tricky! big grin
Can't wait to see a pic of your cutie! cheer
[notify]

♥- Babe- ♥

I am a puppy in- a big dog suit!

Barked: Wed Sep 2, '09 8:13pm PST 
haha...my golden weighs in at around 90 lbs pure muscle and some chubbieness laugh out loud
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Sat Sep 5, '09 7:07pm PST 
I would definitely pick the XL too...

And yes it would help to see the parents of your pup. Can you do that?

Rudy is 75lbs and he was rather "runt-ish" as a puppy. Never thought he'd get this big!
[notify]
Jake

Car Ride?

Barked: Mon Sep 7, '09 6:01am PST 
My Golden is chubby, haha but so cuteee!
I think he weighs around 100 pounds
[notify]
Zoe

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 12:02am PST 
one thing i will ask is do you know if your golden is field or show bred?

My baby zoe here is field bred and at 9 months shes not even pushing 50 lbs. field breds tend to be alot smaller than show breds
[notify]
Woody

AKA Moose

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 9:09pm PST 
My Golden's pretty darn big for his breed, his weight has become average as he got older but he was 100 something a few years ago.

I would get the XL if I were you. :]
[notify]
Stewie

Stewart Gilligan- Griffin "Obey- Me"

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 1:37pm PST 
my male golden at 3.5yrs is 70.1 LBs(has been since he was 1.5yrs) and there is no possible way an XL would fit him, a large is usually just right or a bit big, him & my female GSD/Husky are both inbetween sizes, and haven't really changed harness size since before they were a year old. Buttt every brand is different in size, even when they say they are the same inches the shape is different so it fits different =/ Good luck!
[notify]
Ivan

Barked: Sun Apr 25, '10 11:24pm PST 
I would go XL just in case. My golden is 132 lbs and not overweight according to my vet. He is purebred and no one is sure how he got so big. to the top of his head from the floor he measures 38 inches. Now obviously Ivan is a freak but better safe than sorry. you can always use a divider to make it smaller but you cannot make it bigger.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2