GO!

Input on a breeder

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sophie CGC- CSD

da da dada da da- BAT DOG!!!!!

Barked: Wed May 21, '08 9:20am PST 
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this breeder. http://www.mygoldenretreat.com/index.html

any input would be helpful
[notify]
Harvey

Mountain Goat in- Training

Barked: Wed May 21, '08 4:14pm PST 
I am slightly wary of breeder websites. I would contact your local AKC Golden Retriever club and ask for a breeder recommendation. Because goldens are everywhere, you will find great breeders, good breeders, and the Back Yard/Puppy Mill type breeders.
You want a long lived, healthy companion that's been well-socialized to bring out the best Golden personality!

Some reputable breeders will have websites, but a recommendation from a club will help you find a breeder that had excellent credentials and produces excellent, Hip & Eye certified Goldens, that shouldn't have the medical issues that less scrupulous or experienced breeders might produce
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Wed May 21, '08 4:26pm PST 
First of all, seven litters in one year? Why exactly are they breeding? That's an awful lot considering the litter size for Goldens. None of them have titles for any sport or conformation listed. Ask.

Second, I dont see in the contract anything about the breeder taking the dog back if something (dog forbid) happens to you (death, whatever). She has rules that void the contract but I dont see that one in there. Ask them.

Third, I see nothing about health testing done (although the dogs' pages do not have much information). You need to ask about OFA testing for hips and other joints as well as CERF testing. When breeding Goldens, who are so prone to hip displaysia, I think it's unacceptable not to test.

On a personal note, I found the site completely annoying and void of information. They also have a logo for "nextdaypets" and although I did not see them advertised on there (dont have time to look through every puppy ad), it's basically a site for puppy brokers.
[notify]

Sophie CGC- CSD

Barked: Wed May 21, '08 5:18pm PST 
What about this breeder? http://www.marithymegoldens.com/index.html

I found copies of DNA profiles done on all the dogs. I'm much more confident in them. but me being liking them and convincing my client to go with them instead is another thing. I told her just by looking at that site I can tell the dogs are of good quality. That is what a breeder's site should include. As much info about the dogs complete with registered names, pedigrees, and titles. Plus it only meantions one litter planned right now.

I was also annoyed by the lack on info on the other one. She called me and told me she doesn't check elbows or thyroid, just hips, eyes, and heart. She said that one of her pups became a therapy dog and one or 2 became READ therapy dogs. She didn't meantion anything about obedience titles. How would she have time with her dogs popping out that many litters per year?
[notify]
Sophie CGC- CSD

Barked: Thu May 22, '08 12:04am PST 
Forget it my client fired me because I was insisting she go with a different breeder. I think 7 litters per year are way too many to be a responsible breeder. Sure she might love her dogs but so does the hoarder towns away. Another trainer can deal with her. All I can say is good luck as other trainers I know of won't start until the dog is 1yr old and has their CGC which she is responsible for earning. She is still going with that breeder. All the better to her. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. I also didn't realize her son was only 6 yrs old. Less stress for me to worry about. happy dance
[notify]
Goldiva's- Tangled Up- In Blue

Tally-true best- friend

Barked: Sat Jan 31, '09 2:05pm PST 
K9data.com and OFA.com are two CRUCIAL databases for checking out breeders' claims about health and titles. Both are free to the public and searchable. Buyers must doublecheck breeder websites against K9data before taking a next step. If clearances are not listed there or OFA, ask LOTS of red-flagged questions.
[notify]
Logan

I like new pals!

Barked: Mon Feb 2, '09 7:42am PST 
I started by looking at websites myself when I was wanting a Golden. I started finding a few of them to be a little shady to say the least. I'm not saying all of them, but some. When their websites say, visit anytime, no appointment needed, then I call and want to go by and they say "no" that's not possible. That kind of thing, I thought there has got to be a better way.

Contact your local Golden Retriever Club. That's how I found Logan. It did take some footwork, and you're doing the right thing. You can never get too much information. Golden Retriever Club of America

If you lived in my area, I'd have no question where to send you! My breed is fantastic.
[notify]
Cooper

SNOW BABY

Barked: Wed Feb 4, '09 5:06am PST 
i agree with logan. contact your local golden retriever club and golden retriever club of america! a great website can be just that! it doesn't mean they're a good breeder.

dog
[notify]
Goldiva's- Tangled Up- In Blue

Tally-true best- friend

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 6:11am PST 
There are puppy listings at GRWeekly.com that are checked for health clearnaces and Everythinggolden.com is for show breeders, and has a selective listing of promising litters.
[notify]