GO!

GOLDENS + CANCER

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sir Barkley- XXIV

Got cookie?

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '08 2:32pm PST 
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH INDOLENT, T-CELL LYMPHOMA?
OUR GOLDEN BOY HAS RECENTLY BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH THIS CANCER. PLEASE HELP!

Edited by author Sun Jan 13, '08 1:23pm PST

[notify]
Sir Barkley- XXIV

Got cookie?

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '08 1:57pm PST 
dog Barkley is doing much better since stopping chemo. We are now going with the Holistic approach as far as diet, acupuncture, vitamins and supplements go at this time. He will be "Blessed" by Fr. Art on Wednesday at the Mission in San Juan Capistrano. We are so thankful he is better and are taking it one precious day at a time. The quality of his life is the most important thing. no pain or discomfort.

Woof, Woof,
Barkley
[notify]
Captain Jack

I can stare at- you all day....

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '08 2:12pm PST 
hug We'll pray that the holistic avenue will help make his life better. Sorry to hear you are having to deal with that. That's one thing I'm scared about... it just seems that goldens are so prone to cancer.
[notify]

Sir Barkley- XXIV

Got cookie?

Barked: Fri Aug 29, '08 4:03pm PST 
Barkley's Cancer has gone into the mediastinum...............he still is active and we continue the Holistic care. Have been pondering Radiation on his lymph nodes and the tricky mediastinal area. He has frequent panting and slight decrease in activity. It is hard to decide what is best for our Golden boy. Quality of life is more important than quantity and we will not have him suffer needlessly. Comfort is the most important part of this journey.
[notify]
Saybel

SAVING SAYBEL

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 10:53am PST 
Im so sorry about your lymphoma i lost my heart dog Saybel to this in Feb after being diagnoised the april before.I did chemo and it helped until i gave her Sentinel for heartworm prevention.The sentinel depleted 4 months of chemo (dumb vet).Anyways i do have a friend who is doing chemo on her black lab and chinese herbs and this pup is doing great.I know you live in the U.S. but heres my friends email she also owns a petfood (mostly holistic)store she may be able to give you some suggestions I know i would want to try and do EVERYTHING i could to help my baby.Hope and pray things go well for youhughug
[notify]
Sierra

Urr urr urr!- Speak loud and- proud!!

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 5:41am PST 
My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I understand what a difficult time this is for Barkley and your family. We lost my German Shepherd, Sammy to hemangiosarcoma on July 31st. It was an aggressive spleenic cancer that matasized into her liver. It took her in only one week. She didn't make it to her oncologist appointment. The two most common breeds that get this are GSD and Goldens.

We had done some research on holistic treatment. Strangely enough sites regarding flaxseed oil and cottage cheese kept coming up to aid in reducing tumors. You may want to do some internet searchs on that. Sam was also panting a lot. We also gave Sammy liver. It helped keep her iron up and gave her some more energy.

Stay as positive as you can and give Barkley all the love you can. Just being around family and given a lot of attention will make it easier on him. Enjoy every moment you have with him....and keep the faith he will heal.
[notify]
Sierra

Urr urr urr!- Speak loud and- proud!!

Barked: Sat Sep 6, '08 5:48am PST 
Also have you looked into healthy pet food? After Sam I saw the food and nutrion forum. They had a good link in there regarding differnt brands and the ingredients. I was horrified to see what junk I had been feeding them. We have since switched Sierra to Blue Buffalo and get her organic treats.
[notify]
Goldiva's- Tangled Up- In Blue

Tally-true best- friend

Barked: Sat Nov 1, '08 5:54pm PST 
The golden retriever club of america has some great information , links,and resources for cancer since it is such an enemy for goldies. We lost our loved Raleigh to hemangiosarcoma, and it is such a heartbreaking experience. I hope your boy beats this! Best, Jill
[notify]
Emmy

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 6:18pm PST 
Hi, I am new here but my golden was diagnosed with a liver tumor over the summer. The only reason that the vets found it was because of a senior check up they did. Her liver values were high so they did an ultra sound and found the tumor. They said it looked cancerous but we said no to surgery. She had no symptoms then and I am happy to report she continues to have none today! We giver her lots of supplements every day such as green tea, fish oil, milk thistle (which is mainly for the liver), and many others. We just put the pills in her food and she doesn't even notice them. She is a totally happy dog and you can tell she is feeling great! She gets a little sore sometimes from her age but we give her glucosamine and it really helps! I know exactly what you are going through right now and I am deeply sorry, but with lots of research who knows how long you can keep him healthy! Also, she is on a grain free diet. The cheap pet foods are just fillers, but she is on a food that contains no grain, and she loves it! Much better than her previous food! Any ways I hope the very best for you and your golden! wishes
[notify]
Ben & Dexter

Barked: Fri Feb 13, '09 6:04pm PST 
We lost our Golden "Zack" to lymphoma last Oct. I hate to say this but Barkley will eventually sucumb to this dreaded disease. We did everything we could and then some for him. Chemo, diet, holistic etc. He does not know he is sick so cherish everyday with him.
It's been four months since we lost Zack and I shed tears everyday for his loss.
If you want I can send you a link on Yahoo that is a support group for dogs with lymphoma.

John
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2