GO!

I think Ivan killed my cat

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ivan

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 6:36pm PST 
I came home today and my siamese that I've had for 3 years was sprawled out on the porch. After I felt how cold he was I knew he was dead.

I noticed my GSD was playing too rough with him so I had been separating them when I wasn't home because the cat would not try to escape or fight back and his puppy teeth were really scraping him up. He recently got his adult teeth and I hadn't noticed him playing so rough so I decided to let the cat be outside again but I guess that was a big mistake. I feel really bad for what's happened but now I'm worried about what the future may hold. A friend at work said once a dog has killed a small animal you have to be very careful when it's around small dogs or cats. Any advice?
Ivan is about 6 months old now and normally gets along fine with other animals (except horses). I don't blame him for this, I'm the one who's supposed to be taking care of my pets but I also partially blame the cat for not doing what cats are supposed to do when dogs start using them as a chew toy cry
[notify]
Sargent

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 9:02pm PST 
As my cat just had a near death experience yesterday you have my sympathies.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 9:16pm PST 
I'm so sorry about your cat. Are you sure it was Ivan? Maybe it was another dog, or he got hit by a car & made it back to the porch? If it was Ivan, then yes you would have to introduce a new cat very slowly, but he should still be OK with dogs. My housemate's dog has killed 2 cats (don't ask, but yes she is one of those irresponible dog owners) so there is no way I could ever bring a cat into the house, but her dog is still great with small dogs & little kids. Don't beat yourself up! Grieve for your kitty & we're sending you POTP. hug
[notify]

Nala

Im a character

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 1:38pm PST 
This is a story that does happen. My friends rottie killed his moms cat. It was still a well behaved dog, never had any problems with it.
[notify]
Dieta

AKA Baby Face

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 8:15am PST 
Oh no! poor kitty. I am so sorry for your loss.

Maybe it was an accident. Sometimes a dog or pup can get a little too rough.
I am sure it was an accident.

I had a gsd and she would play really rough with my cat but they loved it.
Maybe a tooth just accidentally went in too far.

I know when you tell other people then they make you feel even worse by saying that. That is really not true. Since you were not home there is no way to know for sure what happened. The cat could of ate something bad. I am not sure.
But, I wouldn't like think anything bad at this time.
things happen.
I don't mean to be insensitive cause I am not taking that tone. I just think it was an accident

Many hugs and prayers for your loss and your family,Dietahughughug
[notify]
Beau

It's great to be- in America!

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 1:28pm PST 
I am sorry to hear about your cat. I will say that my dogs have both been very prey driven from day 1, mostly mice, squirrels, rabbits - lately deer. They have killed mice, squrrels, and rabbits, but never a deer. They are no more aggressive to people (either tall or short) or any other animal. They are indifferent to cats, as long as the cats are still.

From my experience, limited as it is, your dog was just being a dog. There may be issues in the future with prey drive, but teaching him the 'leave it' command does work - it has worked for my two.
[notify]
Ivan

Barked: Sat Jan 23, '10 7:24pm PST 
Thanks guys! I appreciate what everyones had to say.
[notify]
Rook

Big Baby Always- Whining

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 11:35am PST 
My gut feeling is that it was an accident, whatever happened. Cats being roamers, anything could have happened. I am sorry this happened. If you are concerned that ivan may have killed the cat and wonder about future reactions, continue to do more research and consult a behaviorist or two. This way you can feel some guidance and be proactive in the future.
[notify]
Sophie CGC- CSD

da da dada da da- BAT DOG!!!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 11:34pm PST 
Poor kitty, my GSD is afraid of kitties. We went to the vet the other day and one of the resident cats was sitting right next to the desk on a chair. When she saw it she startled and backed up and did a "i'm going to bark" growl. The receptionist told the cat to scram out back and stop tormenting the dogs and it actually did!

If you do get another kitty may I suggest a big mean cat with claws that doesn't tolerate any crap from dogs. I also wouldn't leave my dog outside when your not home. Someone could steal or injure your dog. They are safer inside a crate with a bone or kong if they might get into trouble.
[notify]
Jake

Why are you- making funny- noises at me :(

Barked: Fri Feb 12, '10 3:09pm PST 
We think Jake here might have accidentally killed a cat. He learned to carry them around by the scruff of their neck from watching the momma cats. He never did it any rougher than they did, but we still discouraged the practice and he never did it again (that we know of). Sometimes he still plays rough though. If he did kill a cat, it was certainly not out of malice or being mean, he's just very friendly in a VERY intense way. He doesn't know his own size or strength and doesn't understand that cats don't like to play the same way as dogs. He is normally very careful around cats and other small animals, though...so I am thinking it probably wasn't him. But you never can tell.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see him being aggressive with smaller animals. GSD's are normally pretty protective it seems of anything they grow up with, and just seem to "know" when they should be gentle (being a relative term, of course, hehe).
[notify]