GO!

Question about Setter hair

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lily

I'm a spazzy- swirl of spots

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 9:39am PST 
We adopted Lily from a shelter and was told that she is a dalmatian mix. I've had a few people tell me that she looks more like an ES mix so I started to do a little research (gotta love the internet) and am starting to think she's really an ES mix. I've seen many pics that she looks very much like.

This is where my question comes in. Although her fur is NOT long it is definitely not short either. Along the center of her back it looks longer and a bit wavy. She also seems to be getting whispy longer hair on her tail, the backs of her legs and chest. When does the longer hair grow in on ES pups? I know there are shorter haired ES's, when does their hair tend to grow?

There are more pics on Lily's profile page. Appreciate the help. wave
[notify]
Maddie

It Flies It Dies

Barked: Thu Nov 6, '08 3:26pm PST 
Sure looks like she could be an english setter mix.

most likely not the show type though.

field types(such as myself) generally have shorter feathering along our tail, front of the chest and legs... not nearly as much as the show type.

i believe my full feathering came in at about a year and a half but it started growing around 8 months and through the winter.

(edit to add)

i also noticed in your pictures there is a tuft at the end of the tail. i also had a tuft as a puppy that opened up into fuller feathering.

Edited by author Thu Nov 6, '08 3:29pm PST

[notify]
Lily

I'm a spazzy- swirl of spots

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 11:01am PST 
I thought so as the pup pics I've seen online were shorter haired.

Lily is now 5 1/2 months and the feathering is starting to come in on the back of her front legs and a bit on her chest now too. The back legs are getting long enough that dad is even saying they aren't just normal whispies of a short haired dog. In addition, her hair, although it lays flat, is getting much longer.

Thanks for your input.
[notify]

Lillian

agility- extroidinaire

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 7:52am PST 
my dogs hair came in when she was about 10 months old, she looks like a field variety like mine is.
[notify]