GO!

Texas winters (Preferably need answers from locals!)

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Suki

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 1:03pm PST 
I recently moved to Huntsville w/ my dachshund, & am concerned about the winter weather. I lived near DFW a few years ago & remember the winters were harsh, it iced at LEAST once a year. & last year it snowed by San Antonio/Austin.

My question is: Should I invest in any winter wear for my pup? If so, a coat/boots/etc.? & any other tips would be appreciated.

additional info:
weighs 27 pounds
is a bit larger/taller than an average dachshund
has really short, thin, silk hair
is used to winter temps of 60+, 55 was extreme (So. Padre Island)
lives in an apartment, stays inside while I'm at class, would only be outside to potty & for walks.

thanks in advance smile
[notify]
Sarah Lee

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 8:11pm PST 
I would absolutely invest in winter wear. At least sweaters if nothing else. If it is snowy and icey then I limit my doxies time outdoors. Very short walks if any. You can always take the some place inside or play with them inside for the exercise. If it is very cold my pups do their business and then back in the house they come.
[notify]