GO!

what to feed???

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jasper

If it's in your- hand, it's gotta- be MINE

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 2:42pm PST 
(NOTE: in-detail poop descriptions... don't read if this offends you...)

I'm having stomach/food issues my my 7 mo. old mini-doxie, Jasper. Looking for suggestions on what to feed, and if you've encountered these problems yourself...

He started out eating Royal Canin. The vet said it was good, but my dog trainer said that I could do better. I tried Orijen, but that made his stools soft and smell HORRIBLE. Next up I tried Blue Buffalo, which is what he is currently eating. Stools not quite as compact as when he was on Royal Canin, but still okay... but I've had recent problems.

He DID get sick with some kind of parasite recently, and his stools turned kinda soft, like pudding-texture. A quick trip to the vet, some medicine, and he was starting to get better. Until the following week... same thing happened. Now, I think THAT is totally my fault. I take him to a park across the street and didn't stop him in time before he decided to eat some rabbit droppings, which I think is what made him ill both times. Back for more medicine, and he is getting better again.

But the vet said that I should probably change his food, too, that the high-protein content might be partially responsible for his sensitive stomach; that a lot of dogs can't tolerate that. She wanted me to get one of the HILLS Prescription Diet Formulas. But I took one look at the ingredient list and wondered if I should change vets... it was TOTALLY grain and corn-based; couldn't find ANY protein source. And since my guy's still a puppy, I know he needs at least a basic amount.

So now I don't know what to do. Try Royal Canin again? (Maybe I freaked out by all the "holistic" talk out there and switched him too early??)

Thoughts? Help? ??
[notify]
Michael

Question- everything and- everybody

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 7:06pm PST 
Definitely change vets. Stick with Blue Buffalo - it is much more nutrient dense then Royal Canin and if you are feeding the same amount that is probably the problem. Reduce the amount.
[notify]